Bo and the game management

Twodocs

Of all the segments of coaching and being the ceo of Nebraska football falls a little discussed topic of game management. I would pose the idea that this may be this staffs weakest area.

Beck says he made a mistake not getting Rex B. into the game more. We seem to blow time outs because Watson can't get the plays in. And the whole staff seemed rattled after we got burned on the long VT pass play. Bo stated he was sure that VT would not score on us when he made some late calls, he lost. Is Bo overconfident in his defense? We may be spoiled by the way TO handled game management. But, I do not see this as being any better than it was under the Bill C staff. We are not and have not developed depth by playing some kids, they just do not get in the games. Watson=Cody green, Beck= Rex B., Sanders Ricky T. and Bo perhaps overly relying on defense before he has the real deal. And, Bo and Beck not having a heavy Red Zone package.

How do you develop runing backs?

Do you play 3 or 4 in non conference games.

Or, do you shove them in with no games played during the tough conference games?

Or, is this just lip service to say we are going to need to use all of our running backs?

I know what TO used to do. Perhaps, TO was just wrong about how he developed players during the non conference schedule.

Beck on Beck link

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090923/BIGR...39974/-1/BIGRED

I may be wrong but it seems we had Red Zolne issues last year in important games too?

Link to Watson on the Red Zone this year--

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/displ...3/4abaf48b0155d

This is Bo's second year ever as a HC, so while a lot of your points are valid, I think it's to be expected from a guy still getting his feet wet in running the show. Wats should be better at getting the plays in, and I would say he's better than he was under Callahan, but there's still room for improvement.

Overall I like the direction we're going, but certainly there's room for improvement.

The timeouts on defense are totally unacceptable.

exactly i can understand maybe 1 timeout on offense but never on defense. And we should be getting to the line quicker so lee can make any adjustments that he needs too.

I totally agree with this.

We burn 1-2 timeouts a game on defense. Whether it is wrong lineup, wrong call, etc. Just like on Saturday we burnt one in the 1st qtr and then on the first play of the final VA-Tech drive would have had to burn one because we had 12 guys on the field. That has to stop! It also appears that the MLB isn’t getting the calls to the defense quick enough because there have been plenty of times that players aren’t set when the play starts. All of this falls back on Mark because he is the Head guy.

Is this thread for real?

Roy gets into the flow of the game at the expense of Rex. Are we arguing with the numbers he posted?

Cody Green knows about a fourth of the offense. Do we really want him taking meaningful snaps now?

The defense shut down Tech almost completely, save for the big play. And even then the DB who was burned made a sack on the next play. How is Bo overconfident? How did the defense show it was rattled?

Ricky T is just getting to the point where he can be trusted on defense. I think it was widely known that the guy made a lot of mistakes last year. So, again, play people who aren't ready. We want to do that?

What we saw from Zac last Saturday was what many of our QBs have gone through in their first season under center. Don't blast him for it until he establishes a pattern of play. Or, in other words, wait til the offseason. If Lee's numbers are bad, then Cody Green can start trying to take the job from him for the 2010 season.

Lastly, Bo has nothing in common with Callahan. I can not believe this thread. Turn on the coach already. Nice work everybody. :dumdum:dumdum:dumdum:dumdum:dumdum:dumdum:dumdum

ex Zac Lee as you may recall Beamer had three time outs left at the end and I don't he used them in his stunning victory :angry:<_<

the margin in this game was not talent, or game plan, it was coaching and game management

this is not a turn on the coach or staff thread it is asking for dicussion about just these issues which are being put olut there

Is this thread for real?

Roy gets into the flow of the game at the expense of Rex. Are we arguing with the numbers he posted? NO

Cody Green knows about a fourth of the offense. Do we really want him taking meaningful snaps now? NO WAY

The defense shut down Tech almost completely, save for the big play. And even then the DB who was burned made a sack on the next play. How is Bo overconfident? How did the defense show it was rattled? The D wasn't rattled they just forgot to do their job on a couple of HUGE plays. Shame on them.

Ricky T is just getting to the point where he can be trusted on defense. I think it was widely known that the guy made a lot of mistakes last year. So, again, play people who aren't ready. We want to do that? NO

What we saw from Zac last Saturday was what many of our QBs have gone through in their first season under center. Don't blast him for it until he establishes a pattern of play. Or, in other words, wait til the offseason. If Lee's numbers are bad, then Cody Green can start trying to take the job from him for the 2010 season. Green is no where near ready to take significant snaps and if he must, NU will greatly suffer.

Lastly, Bo has nothing in common with Callahan. I can not believe this thread. Turn on the coach already. Nice work everybody. :dumdum:dumdum:dumdum:dumdum:dumdum:dumdum:dumdumNobody is or has compared him to Callafraud and nobody is or has turned on him

Asked and answered.

Is this thread for real?

Roy gets into the flow of the game at the expense of Rex. Are we arguing with the numbers he posted? NO

Cody Green knows about a fourth of the offense. Do we really want him taking meaningful snaps now? NO WAY

The defense shut down Tech almost completely, save for the big play. And even then the DB who was burned made a sack on the next play. How is Bo overconfident? How did the defense show it was rattled? The D wasn't rattled they just forgot to do their job on a couple of HUGE plays. Shame on them.

Ricky T is just getting to the point where he can be trusted on defense. I think it was widely known that the guy made a lot of mistakes last year. So, again, play people who aren't ready. We want to do that? NO

What we saw from Zac last Saturday was what many of our QBs have gone through in their first season under center. Don't blast him for it until he establishes a pattern of play. Or, in other words, wait til the offseason. If Lee's numbers are bad, then Cody Green can start trying to take the job from him for the 2010 season. Green is no where near ready to take significant snaps and if he must, NU will greatly suffer.

Lastly, Bo has nothing in common with Callahan. I can not believe this thread. Turn on the coach already. Nice work everybody. :dumdum:dumdum:dumdum:dumdum:dumdum:dumdum:dumdumNobody is or has compared him to Callafraud and no is or has turned on him

Asked and answered.

:yeah

Lastly, Bo has nothing in common with Callahan. I can not believe this thread. Turn on the coach already. Nice work everybody. :dumdum:dumdum:dumdum:dumdum:dumdum:dumdum:dumdum

Actually they have a few things in common:

They are both men

They are both married

They both coached Nebraska

They both coached with Shawn Watson and Ted Gilmore

They both have 2 daughters

They both have worn beige to a press conference

They both are hard-headed

They both coached in the NFL

They both played college football

They are both being paid over $1,000,000 by the State of Nebraska

They both go by a name that begins with the letter “B”

They both have a knack for burning timeouts (just like Got Frank did)

Although I agree for the most part about timeouts, I will throw in m two-cents on the "wasting timeouts" on defense. I completely understand the point if it is because of a substitution standpoint, but as a coach myself, I always tell my defense that if they are unsure about a coverage or find themselves out of position, CALL A TIMEOUT. I would much rather burn a timeout than offer up an easy 6 points because one guy may be out of position.

Remember, the other team's coaches get paid too, and they probably have a "few" new wrinkles to throw at a defense and we are playing with a ton of young LB and I would much rather burn a to than watch someone run free for a td because of a mistake that could have been saved.

But burning to's is concerning, and I totally agree with Watson's efficiency, and I am a Watson fan.

This is Bo's second year ever as a HC, so while a lot of your points are valid, I think it's to be expected from a guy still getting his feet wet in running the show.

The guy has one a little over one season under his belt as an HC.

what do you expect?

even seasoned coaches mismanage the clock from time to time.

I haven't seen the perfect coach yet.

ex Zac Lee as you may recall Beamer had three time outs left at the end and I don't he used them in his stunning victory :angry:<_<

the margin in this game was not talent, or game plan, it was coaching and game management

this is not a turn on the coach or staff thread it is asking for dicussion about just these issues which are being put olut there

I've been saying this for quite a while now. This was the first game that the game/time management really bit us in the *ss. Our staff is very young, but I hope they get to a point where they become much better at this or we will always struggle to win the big games.

As far as building depth.... I like what is being done there. We are making progress there. All except the linebacker situation. I think we should play more kids than we do. There is an issue with one backer tackling and being physical at the point of contact. If that doesn't change, I think we should give another player a shot. I wouldn't stick with a kid for any other reason except performance.

This is Bo's second year ever as a HC, so while a lot of your points are valid, I think it's to be expected from a guy still getting his feet wet in running the show.

The guy has one a little over one season under his belt as an HC.

what do you expect?

even seasoned coaches mismanage the clock from time to time.

I haven't seen the perfect coach yet.

I expect him to be learning on the job. You and I are saying the same thing here. ;)