We're Still Snake-Bitten

craigsker

I hate making this post because it is admittedly extremely negative and I apologize, but I'm not sold we beat Mizzou. Sometimes I swear we're cursed:

We can't seem to ever beat anyone who is remotely good.

We haven't beat a ranked team since 1998.

We're playing on the road.

The other team always finds a way to win: See Texas Tech, Texas, Virginia Tech the last couple of years.

Mistakes always kill us.

Anyone can beat the San Jose State's, Nicholls State's, Florida Atlantic's, and Louisiana-Lafayette's of college football. I'm frustrated and want the Huskers to beat a good team.

For the love of God Huskers make me eat my words.

You realize we won the Fiesta Bowl after the 1999 season right?

I do realize that, but I'm talking about beating a good team as of late.

I hate making this post because it is admittedly extremely negative and I apologize, but I'm not sold we beat Mizzou. Sometimes I swear we're cursed:

The other team always finds a way to win: See Texas Tech, Texas, Virginia Tech the last couple of years.

Mistakes always kill us.

Anyone can beat the San Jose State's, Nicholls State's, Florida Atlantic's, and Louisiana-Lafayette's of college football. I'm frustrated and want the Huskers to beat a good team.

Apparently Florida State Can't. :dunno

Mistakes always kill us.

Another chance to win a signature game, lets hope not beating a ranked team streak ends here!!

You figure it has to happen eventually right?. Every week teams seem to be getting signature wins. The top ten are dropping like flies. It only took Steve Sarkisian at Washington 3 games to get one. When is it our turn?

Oklahoma 01

Michigan 05

Just off the top of my head may be more however point taken

I stand corrected I guess. I thought we hadn't beaten a team since #2 Washington.

You're probably thinking of the "haven't won on the road against a top 20 team" (not top 25) that we heard about leading up to the Vagina Tech game. And I believe you're also thinking of 1997. And it looks like that streak won't end this season, as Nebraska probably won't play another top 20 team on the road this year. Mizzou isn't ranked in one poll and doesn't figure to move up enough on a bye week, and I don't think KU will still be in the top 20 when Nebraska plays them (I'm thinking losses to OU and TTech).

But enough nit-picking. Nebraska will beat Missouri. It won't even be close. I know Mizzou will be fired up, but 2 things I can't get out of my head:

1. They almost lost to Bowling Green. In Columbia.

2. They almost lost to Nevada. A team Notre Dame shut out earlier this year.

And as far as being snake-bitten, tell that to Colorado and the poor kid standing behind Hawkins in that great clip from last year's game...

Sorry but this post is silly. I have a lot of confidence in our coaching staff and the direction this program is moving in. Screw the tuneup games. We were one screwed up play away from beating va tech in blacksburg in our FIRST road game of the season and FIRST test of the season with a qb only having two games under his belt and a group of newcomers at linebacker. My god I can't see us losing to Missouri unless we hand them turnover after turnover and defensive breakdown after defensive breakdown.

Remember the game last year was very early in the season with the new staff and group of kids that admitted that the vatech game earlier was the first time they realized they could compete with good competition. Last year's kids were so demoralized from that 07 season...and don't forget...we shared the north title with missouri last season. We also beat KU and they couldn't. I point that stuff out because you're pointing out details like that why we shouldn't win.

Just relax. Enjoy the 8th and go from there.

We need to take that step forward in terms of goofs that cost us games. Win the turnover battle, play consistent assignment defense, avoid costly penalties, and capitalize on scoring-opportunities.

We pushed VT around a lot but we didn't do these things and it cost us.

I'd really like to see us finally put that complete game together against Mizzou.

A couple questions about Mizzou. What is up with their front 4 on D? Nevada of all teams had holes big enough to drive a truck through. The LB's did shut the holes down relatively quick only giving up 5 to 7 yards, but the front 4 got pushed around horribly. What is the purpose of running Gabbert on QB draws? He's slow,big, and leaves his body wide open to take shots. It appears to me that if Mizzou continues this Gabbert is gonna get hurt pretty bad this season.

A couple questions about Mizzou. What is up with their front 4 on D? Nevada of all teams had holes big enough to drive a truck through. The LB's did shut the holes down relatively quick only giving up 5 to 7 yards, but the front 4 got pushed around horribly. What is the purpose of running Gabbert on QB draws? He's slow,big, and leaves his body wide open to take shots. It appears to me that if Mizzou continues this Gabbert is gonna get hurt pretty bad this season.

IMO, Mizzou has played a VERY conservative defense, so far. Only a 4 man rush, limited blitzes. Against Nevada, their goal was to keep Kaepernik in the pocket and not let him run. He's a VERY talented kid when he runs. He got out of pocket once, and scored.

And by the way, that game had every characteristic of a trap game... Nevada was picked to compete for the WAC championship but turnovers had them 0-2, they're on National TV on Friday night, Mizzou layed 69 on them in Columbia last year and they're looking for revenge, it's Nevada's home opener... etc. Mizzou was lucky to get out of there.

That said, the Mizzou defense still needs work. Their D-Ends are very fast and strong, but the tackles aren't holding up their end. LB's are very decent, and no one has beat the DB's like last season.

Vs NU? NU will run better than pass, Mizzou will pass better than run and it will be a close game.