one guys opinion after watching MU twice

Husker66

Living in KC, I have had a chance to watch MU play twice on TV. In both cases, the second half has been critical, particularly in the Bowling Green Game. No matter what you say about MU's schedule etc. you know they are going to step up BIG on National TV in Columbia. That being said, here are a few of the things I have taken away from what I have seen.

MU offense

Passing. Gabbert is the real deal. For those of you who have not seen him, he looks like Ben Rothlesberger. You will have QB envy. he particularly likes two receivers:Alexander and Perry. You will see when one of these guys gets open, Gabbert is very precise and deliberate and makes those passes crisply. It's almost like when he throws the ball, before it is 5 feet off his hand, you know its going to be a catch...that good.

he is passing at 66% right now. That being said, I thought BG and Nevada spent a lot of time getting very good penetration at the line, they just did not have the athletes in the secondary to finish. Gabbert is a stand up pro style QB and like to sit in the pocket and fire that howitzer of an arm--and it special. when that does not happen and he has to scramble, he does get a little less accurate.

I do not think Mizzou has seen a D line this year like they are going to see in 10 days. If we can get good penetration and our secondary can take care of business, that will do a lot to disrupt the passing game and keep their offensive production low. If that does not happen, they are going to score and score often with the passing game. period. With Nebraska defense allowing 7 points per game. I like our chances here because of our d line. and good(maybe not great) secondary.

I think their rushing game is OK, they have 572 yards of rushing(1/3 of their offense so far this year). they so far have really relied on the pass. I do not think the line that is allowing penetration on the pass is going to do a lot to give them a great running attack..no better than what we have seen so far against Nevada and BG. Definitely not as strong as the passing attack. again because of our line, I like our chances here.

MU Defense:

Nevada and Bowling Green ran all over the place and passed all over the place..Nevada particularly. they were in the game until the end. you cannot look at the box score and get the score you saw in those games(just like us against VT). They have that mountain Weatherspoon. he will be disruptive and I would think he will be blitzing us early and often. he was the one I recall really standing out.

NU

IF Zac lee has a good passing day and we keep them off balance with a good solid running game ...look out. again because of our line, I like our chances. I think we have all of these pieces, can we just get them together in Columbia? This is the part where the VT game is going to really help us. NU knows they had VT in Lane stadium. Columbia will not be any worse as far as stage and crowd noise.

Overall I think we have a great shot on a national stage. MU's big strengths seem to be passing and definitely Gabbert. I think Nebraska, if Zac Lee performs, is a much more balanced team with solid lines, decent pass coverage, and solid running game. This whole game will revolve around our offense not melting down in the red zone and Zac Lee. If we play like we did against VT but eliminate the offensive breakdowns in the red zone, we could have a special night.

You can bet on 1 thing for sure. MU is going to bring their A game. I do not necessarily think they have yet. they have big kids...just maybe not as athletic and fast as we have seen from them in the past 3 years. They have gotten used to rolling us up and will not want to quit in front of a national audience.

GBR!

From what I have watched of them they are slower than previous years. The most obvious difference between NU and MU is the line play. Nebraska has a big edge in special teams and at running back while MU has a big edge in the wideouts and I'll give Gabbert a slight edge over Lee but only because of Lee's game with Tech. Gabbert hasn't faced anyone yet and Lee seems to get the Huskers in favorable plays. On d Spoon is a beast but they drop off quickly after that. NU has more talent across the board at lb's. Both teams have had their issues in the secondary. I think the play in the trenches (as usual) will decide this game. A Thursday night game on ESPN will have MU and their fans excited and should be a great game. But the Huskers are playing at a higher level than MU, are deeper and have already been in a tougher situation on the road. Pelini gets 10 days to scheme this one and Mizzou doesn't have the offensive coodinater that haunted the Huskers the last few years. Throw out the Furman game and Mizzou's opponents are 2-8 overall. Just to many positives on the Big Red's side in this one to give MU the advantage.

Definitely not as speedy and athletic as they were in 07 and 08. I think that their biggest weakness when it comes to playing Nebraska will be their o-line and d-line. I'm not expecting us to have a big game against their o-line or get more than 1 sack, but I think you will consistently see us stuffing the run for short gains and applying a lot of pressure to Gabbert.

And their d-line just doesn't seem to be as physical nor athletic as years before. I think we will have a lot of success running the ball, controlling the clock, and beating them in the trenches.

The last few years, Mizzou hasn't really shown themselves until the conference games. Pinkel said so himself on his weekly television show a few weeks back. Saying that there are certain schemes and plays they don't work on, or insert into games until that time.

That being said, I have a lot of respect for Nebraska. I'm not comfortable calling this game either way. Gabbert is good but his inexpierience shows at times. He had accuracy problems in Nevada on deep routes, overthrowing wide open recievers several times. True, the air is thin up there and the ball will sail, however, you can't point to that as a reason. I haven't seen Nebraska play a lot this season, I only saw part of the VT game. They would look real good on a series and look real bad on another. Much like MU. The lack of a running game bothers me. You can't live by the pass.

Either way, I think it will be a good game. I don't see a blowout by either team. At most, a 10 point swing. Most likely closer to 3-7.

After careful study of MU I have come to the following conclusions:

The passing game depends on the MU receivers, not Gabbert. Gabbert consistently over/underthrows his recievers and they end up making him look good. Slap them down on the line instead of giving them such a big cushion, throw off their routes and things will start looking grim.

The running game is very pedestrian and didn't show well against even defense-deficient Nevada. The O-line pass blocks well but is slow off the ball and doesn't open the holes needed for a consistent running attack. String out the outside running plays and MU will opt to go to the air real quick.

That being said, defenses must play lock down coverage against the receivers because, no matter how much pressure you put on Gabbert, he has the arm strength to still wing the ball down field in the general vicinity of his receivers and they do have the ability to turn in some great circus catches. Special attention to the tight end who seems to be a favorite target and is good.

Defensively, Nevada seemed to be able to run the ball up the gut of MU at will for 3-5 yard gains almost all night. It appears the best way to take on the MU defense is by keeping it between the tackles and grinding out the yards. Nevada started the game blowing MU off the line for the entire first half.

Weatherspoon seemed to be nullified during the Nevada game...especially during the first half. He's good but at his best when the opponent is behind and has to throw. When he's forced to read and contain he doesn't look to be nearly the force he's hyped up to be. Hard to get the ball outside of him so...keep it all inside of him.

If Nebraska plays smash mouth, up the gut offensive football AND the defensive backfield can manage to keep MU's receivers from controlling the field, NU can win this one.

Shut down the run and don't give up big plays. They'll get passing yards, but keep them one dimensional...

Yeah, like the old saying goes: only three things can happen when you pass and two of them are bad. No doubt MU will have to find a running game somewhere between now and the 8th. I think a lot of the problems they are having is the difference in Gabbert and Daniel. Daniel was much more mobile, while Gabbert is a pure pocket passer. I don't think they have changed the blocking schemes to fit Gabbert. With Daniels, you blocked to open a gap, or a lane for him to see through and throw through. Problem with that is, you have to have a guy that can move around, make a quick decision and get rid of the ball quick, as it tends to allow penetration. With Gabbert, he is more adept at standing still and scanning the field, waiting for someone to break open. When that penetration is allowed through, he doesn't handle it as easily as did Daniel.

I guess they were met with a choice. Either teach the line a whole new way of doing things, different techniques etc. or try to get your QB to adapt to the gap pocket. I think their running game sucks and have felt that way for a couple years. When yo hand the ball off out of the spread, 5yds behind the LOS, waiting for a hole to open, it isn't working. Everything seems to be side to side. Maybe if they worked on a few quick hitters off tackle. That just isn't their way though. Most everything is off end, or perimeter run. A good fast defense stuffs that every time.

Shut down the run and don't give up big plays. They'll get passing yards, but keep them one dimensional...

Yeah, like the old saying goes: only three things can happen when you pass and two of them are bad. No doubt MU will have to find a running game somewhere between now and the 8th. I think a lot of the problems they are having is the difference in Gabbert and Daniel. Daniel was much more mobile, while Gabbert is a pure pocket passer. I don't think they have changed the blocking schemes to fit Gabbert. With Daniels, you blocked to open a gap, or a lane for him to see through and throw through. Problem with that is, you have to have a guy that can move around, make a quick decision and get rid of the ball quick, as it tends to allow penetration. With Gabbert, he is more adept at standing still and scanning the field, waiting for someone to break open. When that penetration is allowed through, he doesn't handle it as easily as did Daniel.

I guess they were met with a choice. Either teach the line a whole new way of doing things, different techniques etc. or try to get your QB to adapt to the gap pocket. I think their running game sucks and have felt that way for a couple years. When yo hand the ball off out of the spread, 5yds behind the LOS, waiting for a hole to open, it isn't working. Everything seems to be side to side. Maybe if they worked on a few quick hitters off tackle. That just isn't their way though. Most everything is off end, or perimeter run. A good fast defense stuffs that every time.

That one dimensional play destroyed NU the last 2 years.

I believe this is an opportunity for the Big Red to get the monkey off our back and the best chance to do it for many years. But it will be FAR from easy.

AWAY GAME. We have not won one of these that meant anything since Hector was a Pup. There is a reason why that is diffiuclt. The game at VT gives some great confidence in this team. What I see is a loss and a miserable passing offense that game despite a good effort in many phases of the game.

PASSING GAME Now I have no doubt that VT has a better defense than Misery, but 16 points won't get it done in Columbia. No matter how good Helu is, if our passing attack is anything like they were against VT, we're screwed.

CONSISTANCY: I can see us getting a whole lot of 5-10 yards running plays against Misery and completing short passes and moving the ball for a lot of yards--but somewhere during the drive dropping a pass, giving up a sack, getting a penalty and killing it--or ending up with a FG. Their defense seems to give up a lot of yards but not many big plays. We must play a nearly mistake free and penalty free game if we are going to grind it out and outscore them. Likewise we can't give up the big play because they are capable of going all the way on any snap with Gabbert's arm.

Having watched the Nevada and Illinois games on TV, though having some rookie downs; Gabbert is by far the best QB we have faced and assuming Bradford is out, likely the best we will face--better than Reesing, I believe. Their recieving corps seems to be very good. Gabbert can throw with accuracy much deeper than Daniels. If our front four can put pressure on (and I think they can and will) and leave 7 to cover, we can neutralize Gabbert. IF we can't get pressure and have to do a lot of blitzing, I can see some big plays going against us. Their recievers can run after the catch so on blitzes if Gabbert can pick them up, they can take it a long ways.

Their rushing seems not very good at all. But I recall Washington being capable last year and the freshman they had at Nevada number 30 seemed quick. Their OL doesn't seem to block well but they are 4 and 0 and have the same 10 days or so that we do. If we have to do something novel to stop Gabbert, they may discover a running game but I doubt it will hurt us much.

Seems like the special teams are about a wash.

I think our Defense is better than misery's. Our defensive line seems sound and I think theirs can be pushed around. Their linebacking is better than ours. DBs --who knows tell they play this game. I don't think either team has a great defensive backfield.

Twill be a great night for football and the night that will likely tell the story of this season. I think the key will be for the Huskers to not just get grind out big yardage totals but to score TDs and keep Missouri from hitting the big plays.

billyball good analysis of the tigers, while some of the rest of you are so far off to be laughable? someone even said Chase was a scrambler and blaine a pocket passer, totally wrong, chase didn't throw well on the run and gabbart has made some spectacular throws while running for his life plus he can take off and is very fast and huge.

the comments on mu's running attack were accurate and something I am not a fan of but it did work against huskers last several years for big yardage, including the total wipeout at lincoln last year. has it been good so far, not really. as someone else mentioned young OC so not sure if he can take advantage of NU's weak secondary and lbers, if he runs against your line it won't be pretty. If he throws over them from the gitgo mu will have a lot of success, receivers are very good after catch.

As for having better talent? Huh? by many of your own postings, Nu is very thin everywhere but that is all speculation so not worth going into, you think the same way every fan of every team does and is has little reality. All I can say is MU has more athletes at more positions than they ever had but they are very young with many of the two deep freshmen or sophomores.

Will be a big night on National TV when our game is THE game throughout the land and it will be enjoyable. As we have had little national pub and expectations are lowered and we have a very young team, we are shooting for 2010 to really come out and shine, but uneverknow. I won't engage in a pissing match over who will win as that is a summer game. Now they will actually play this bad boy and it will be fun!

billyball good analysis of the tigers, while some of the rest of you are so far off to be laughable? someone even said Chase was a scrambler and blaine a pocket passer, totally wrong, chase didn't throw well on the run and gabbart has made some spectacular throws while running for his life plus he can take off and is very fast and huge.

the comments on mu's running attack were accurate and something I am not a fan of but it did work against huskers last several years for big yardage, including the total wipeout at lincoln last year. has it been good so far, not really. as someone else mentioned young OC so not sure if he can take advantage of NU's weak secondary and lbers, if he runs against your line it won't be pretty. If he throws over them from the gitgo mu will have a lot of success, receivers are very good after catch.

As for having better talent? Huh? by many of your own postings, Nu is very thin everywhere but that is all speculation so not worth going into, you think the same way every fan of every team does and is has little reality. All I can say is MU has more athletes at more positions than they ever had but they are very young with many of the two deep freshmen or sophomores.

Will be a big night on National TV when our game is THE game throughout the land and it will be enjoyable. As we have had little national pub and expectations are lowered and we have a very young team, we are shooting for 2010 to really come out and shine, but uneverknow. I won't engage in a pissing match over who will win as that is a summer game. Now they will actually play this bad boy and it will be fun!

No offense there rcruiter, but those weak linebackers and secondary are way better than any Missouri has faced so far this year. We'll see how your offense does against a real (not Illinois/Bowling Green/FURMAN/Nevada) defense.

I was reasonably confident heading into Blacksburg. I'm very confident heading into CoMo.

Actually, I said Daniel was more mobile. I did not say he was a scrambler. Gabbert IS a pocket passer, they are trying to fit him into the gap system. That usually calls for a mobile QB. Daniel had the knowledge of the system to know when to take off and run, Gabbert doesn't seem to quite get it yet, he waits to find an open receiver. That's why he seems to have happy feet a lot of the time.

Gabbert is no doubt the better pure passing QB of the two. Gabbert is very, very gifted. He made two throws against Nevada, on the run that very few if any other college QB could have made. However, it takes more than a strong arm. He has to know when to move, when to tuck it and run and when to let the pocket collapse and step up into it. Gabbert does not show that talent all the time, where it was Daniels' M.O.

For the record, I am a MIzzou fan, alumni and played there under Coaches Powers and Wiedenhofer. Just calling it like I see it. There are enough strong points and weak points on both teams to make it a good game.

That one dimensional play destroyed NU the last 2 years.

what does that have to do with this year?