Blackshirts?!

jjamuss

This is my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

BLACKSHIRTS's are practice jerseys.

Bo and staff put a HUGE emphasis on practice being an indicator of game week.

Maybe we won't see the Blackshirts until Bo believes his Defense is practicing at the intensity level that Jason Peter talks about. Maybe Bo wants to see his boys be nasty and mean and SMART at the same time in PRACTICE!

He may know they had a great NonConf season, but still doesn't see the nastiness he wants. They might be smart (expaining the current status) but not nasty and mean enough to "the Galaxy" he wants them in.

I don't think they get them by winning, I believe they will get them when they bring the attitude EVERYDAY!!

Day by Day!!! We Get Better and Better!!!!

until......

This is my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

BLACKSHIRTS's are practice jerseys.

Bo and staff put a HUGE emphasis on practice being an indicator of game week.

Maybe we won't see the Blackshirts until Bo believes his Defense is practicing at the intensity level that Jason Peter talks about. Maybe Bo wants to see his boys be nasty and mean and SMART at the same time in PRACTICE!

He may know they had a great NonConf season, but still doesn't see the nastiness he wants. They might be smart (expaining the current status) but not nasty and mean enough to "the Galaxy" he wants them in.

I don't think they get them by winning, I believe they will get them when they bring the attitude EVERYDAY!!

Agreed... but didnt Bo and staff just say this past week were the BEST practices since the new coaches came on board? Its time... quit doing the carrot and stick to these kids. Some are seniors, and only have a few months left... Bo, do the right thing!

True, but that was ONE week out of NINE since fall practice started. And the ONE week of great toughness and intensity had to come VIA VaTech. Not on the Defense's own free will.

Difference between productive practice and awesome practice. The offensive guys should hate the defensive guys (and vice versa) 3 hours a day at a minimum. Both teams should strive everyday to "embarass" the other. To build the TEAM. GREAT vs. GREAT everyday = GREAT x 2 vs Average on Saturday!!!!

Anyone else up for a 11 day bender until Missouri!!! I personally can't wait!!!

I get all of the points on this thread, and I respect the views. But how will freshman know who to look up to in practice? Wistrom said it best, in the Husker special on NET a month or so ago, that he looked up to the guys wearing blackshirts and he saw those as some "tough guys" (this was in the late 80s and we kinda sucked then). So TO and McBride were giving them to the D, and it obviously inspired a group of younger players that recognized the importance/significance of the blackshirt and went on to win 2 NCs... I dont disagree with Bo often, but I think its time he gave credit where credit is due... the kids are playing out their hearts for Bo and I think Bo needs to pat them on the back with their blackshirts...

:bonez

But how will freshman know who to look up to in practice?

If the Freshmen don't already know, then nobody's earned their Blackshirts.

thats true... and precise. but wasnt the whole point of blackshirts one of creating contrast? I wonder how they know right now who is starting, etc. Seems like there's a lot of rotation in and out, so knowing who is starting may not be as clear cut as it once was??

thats true... and precise. but wasnt the whole point of blackshirts one of creating contrast? I wonder how they know right now who is starting, etc. Seems like there's a lot of rotation in and out, so knowing who is starting may not be as clear cut as it once was??

That was the point 40 years ago, but it's most definitely changed over the years into a badge of honor given out to the kind of player who represents the fierce defense we were once known for.

And I have no doubt whatsoever that every player on that defense knows where they are on the depth chart and who the #1 at their position is, or any position for that matter. They know where they stand and what they have to do to overtake the guy ahead of them.

That was the point 40 years ago, but it's most definitely changed over the years into a badge of honor given out to the kind of player who represents the fierce defense we were once known for.

And I have no doubt whatsoever that every player on that defense knows where they are on the depth chart and who the #1 at their position is, or any position for that matter. They know where they stand and what they have to do to overtake the guy ahead of them.

You are sinking my every Husker Hope for some blackshirts... isnt playing devil's advocate fun? :dumdum

You are sinking my every Husker Hope for some blackshirts... isnt playing devil's advocate fun?

No, of course not. I want the Blackshirts handed out, too. I would guess most everyone does.

Like I said up there somewhere, I would expect them to be handed out sometime next week, before the Missouri game.

Yeah, with 10 days until the next game, there will be a stretch of solid practices and the coaches will say, 'they're practicing well yada yada yada'....then late this week or early next week we'll hear 'there isn't any passion or intensity' or something to that effect. Come a few day before the game, they'll be chomping at the bit, practicing hard and be tired of beating each other up and Bo will hand out the blackshirts....

You are sinking my every Husker Hope for some blackshirts... isnt playing devil's advocate fun?

No, of course not. I want the Blackshirts handed out, too. I would guess most everyone does.

Like I said up there somewhere, I would expect them to be handed out sometime next week, before the Missouri game.

I am kidding you to some extent... I darent match wits with you, as I am outclassed in that regard.

But thanks for supporting the idea that it is time for some blackshirts, either this week or next.

GO BIG RED!