Blackshirts?!

jjamuss

Give out the black-shirts when NU returns to dominance and wins a Big 12 crown! The black-shirts were the catalysts for championships, not for just piling up wins over scrubs. With a Big 12 title the Huskers have a BCS game and a championship trophy. Excellence is what NU is all about. Last Big 12 title was 1999, 10 years ago!

What is wrong with everyone? Until last year the Blackshirts were never a carrot given only upon reaching some achievement beyond being a starter. For the entire history they were given out to the starting defense at the beginning of the year. That included many years of mediocrity.

Everyone is always talking about respecting our traditions. Holding back the Blackshirts is not our tradition. I'm supportive of Pelini in a lot of things, but he is flat wrong about this one. This is not our tradition. You're either for our traditions and history or you aren't. Don't bust out the tradition argument anywhere else if you are willing to ignore it here...

Yeah if we would have won against VT I would have said you can hand them out then. But I pretty sure I would wait at least until after Miz game. We have not played well down there or up here the last few years so until we can win a big game I dont see handing them out.

I'm sure this is the way Bo has looked at it. If you guys remember from last year, he didn't hand out the blackshirts until we won a game we weren't favored to win (Kansas). He will probably won't hand them out until something like that happens again. But, who knows? Maybe as a confidence booster and after the way they played in the 300 game, he'll hand them out before Mizzou?

And HuskerExpat, I think Bo looks sees the Blackshirts as something that needs to be earned on the playing field, and not something earned on the practice field. I'm not going to say anything about his choice on the matter, but I believe that is the way he looks at it.

What is wrong with everyone? Until last year the Blackshirts were never a carrot given only upon reaching some achievement beyond being a starter. For the entire history they were given out to the starting defense at the beginning of the year. That included many years of mediocrity.

Everyone is always talking about respecting our traditions. Holding back the Blackshirts is not our tradition. I'm supportive of Pelini in a lot of things, but he is flat wrong about this one. This is not our tradition. You're either for our traditions and history or you aren't. Don't bust out the tradition argument anywhere else if you are willing to ignore it here...

For most of this decade we have been a very mediocre program and the elite connotation that went with the "Black Shirts" became somewhat laughable. That will not change until we BEAT SOMEBODY. Bo, I believe is trying to restore that elite defense and if he thinks it is an incentive to rise above mediocrity, I'm all for it. Will it work? Who knows, but we are on the third coach and are still looking for the Blackshirt Defense. Perhaps it's time to use them as a reward. Really, an Osborn team that lost the only game against a BCS school in a tough game and whipped 3 Sunbelt patsies would have been embarrassed to claim the "Blackshirt Defense" that Nebraska football was famous for.

Shut down Mizzou and break out the blackshirts. Works for me.

I don't have a problem of him holding them up until he sees fit considering how the luster of the "Blackshirt" Reputation has worn a bit thanks to the Bohl and Cosgrove eras, However I would like to see them given out by Conference play. You can't argue with the Bo way is doing things he has us on the right track and the wins at VT and other major games will come, anyone can see it. GBR!!!!

Yeah if we would have won against VT I would have said you can hand them out then. But I pretty sure I would wait at least until after Miz game. We have not played well down there or up here the last few years so until we can win a big game I dont see handing them out.

:yeah

Conference games or not, pasting a GOOSE EGG and 55 points is a dominating game. Parity is the word nowadays, anyone can beat anyone on any given day... so why wait for conference play to hand them out? Give the D a shot in the arm, and give them their blackshirts! That will raise the bar... "you earned em, now you gotta keep em".

Conference games or not, pasting a GOOSE EGG and 55 points is a dominating game. Parity is the word nowadays, anyone can beat anyone on any given day... so why wait for conference play to hand them out? Give the D a shot in the arm, and give them their blackshirts! That will raise the bar... "you earned em, now you gotta keep em".

Yup that's a blackshirt performance ... hand em out!

This is my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

BLACKSHIRTS's are practice jerseys.

Bo and staff put a HUGE emphasis on practice being an indicator of game week.

Maybe we won't see the Blackshirts until Bo believes his Defense is practicing at the intensity level that Jason Peter talks about. Maybe Bo wants to see his boys be nasty and mean and SMART at the same time in PRACTICE!

He may know they had a great NonConf season, but still doesn't see the nastiness he wants. They might be smart (expaining the current status) but not nasty and mean enough to "the Galaxy" he wants them in.

I don't think they get them by winning, I believe they will get them when they bring the attitude EVERYDAY!!

This is my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

BLACKSHIRTS's are practice jerseys.

Bo and staff put a HUGE emphasis on practice being an indicator of game week.

Maybe we won't see the Blackshirts until Bo believes his Defense is practicing at the intensity level that Jason Peter talks about. Maybe Bo wants to see his boys be nasty and mean and SMART at the same time in PRACTICE!

He may know they had a great NonConf season, but still doesn't see the nastiness he wants. They might be smart (expaining the current status) but not nasty and mean enough to "the Galaxy" he wants them in.

I don't think they get them by winning, I believe they will get them when they bring the attitude EVERYDAY!!

Agreed... but didnt Bo and staff just say this past week were the BEST practices since the new coaches came on board? Its time... quit doing the carrot and stick to these kids. Some are seniors, and only have a few months left... Bo, do the right thing!