Blackshirts?!

jjamuss

No black shirts earned apparently.

We have beaten absolutely nothing, the defense failed in our loss.

When Bo thinks they deserve them they will have them.

I see no reason for them at this time.

Bo handed them out last year after the Kansas game a week after getting pasted by Oklahoma. My guess is he's using them for more of a motivational tool than anything else.

I agree. I think the Blackshirts need to be handed out. I think now would be a good time to do it right before the Mizzou game.

this seems to be the general consensus... I sure hope the D gets them soon.

yeah but what if you hand them out that week and then Mizzou thrashes us. I don' t see that happening, but I think personally this is why they came AFTER the Kansas game.

What is wrong with everyone? Until last year the Blackshirts were never a carrot given only upon reaching some achievement beyond being a starter. For the entire history they were given out to the starting defense at the beginning of the year. That included many years of mediocrity.

Everyone is always talking about respecting our traditions. Holding back the Blackshirts is not our tradition. I'm supportive of Pelini in a lot of things, but he is flat wrong about this one. This is not our tradition. You're either for our traditions and history or you aren't. Don't bust out the tradition argument anywhere else if you are willing to ignore it here...

That's like saying you are either for Bo or you aren't.

Bo is the coach now.

It's his team.

Does anyone really dispute that Bo knows how to motivate football players??

Maybe he'll start a "new" tradition. :dunno

IMO-- Bo knows football and he'll do the right thing.

but opinions vary.

What is wrong with everyone? Until last year the Blackshirts were never a carrot given only upon reaching some achievement beyond being a starter. For the entire history they were given out to the starting defense at the beginning of the year. That included many years of mediocrity.

Everyone is always talking about respecting our traditions. Holding back the Blackshirts is not our tradition. I'm supportive of Pelini in a lot of things, but he is flat wrong about this one. This is not our tradition. You're either for our traditions and history or you aren't. Don't bust out the tradition argument anywhere else if you are willing to ignore it here...

That's like saying you are either for Bo or you aren't.

Bo is the coach now.

It's his team.

Does anyone really dispute that Bo knows how to motivate football players??

Maybe he'll start a "new" tradition. :dunno

IMO-- Bo knows football and he'll do the right thing.

but opinions vary.

If that is the choice, I would say that I am for our traditions and history more than Bo. It is Nebraska football I love, not Bo Pelini. I happen to like Bo Pelini as a coach. A lot. But that doesn't mean I have to like and support everything he does, says, etc.

That comment was directed more at some of the people saying that we shouldn't hand out the blackshirts yet, who have/are/will say in the future in other threads that something is against our traditions/history. It is really easy to change philosophy based on what gets you the convenient outcome. That is crap.

This is true. By being the best at your position you get a blackshirt. If you are going to wait until they do something dramatic as a team, you may wait a long time. You may also have to take them away after a bad game. This wasn't the idea (tradition) at the outset. Maybe we can just give the guys who are playing at an all Big 12 level different color helmets like Iowa State did in the 80's. :sarcasm