2008 vs 2009

Alright we are 4 games into this season and being the stats geek that I am I was going over the stats to see how much better we are this year compared to last year solely based off of the statistics. Record wise we all know that we are the same at 3-1 so I wanted to dig in and see if we are showing signs of improvement or if we are keeping a steady pace with what was started last year. These are the individual leaders and team averages through the first 4 games of both seasons. The number listed first is last year. So here you go:

NU 2008 2009

Points 37.5 vs. 39.25

First Downs 21.25 vs. 22

Rushing Yards 155.5 vs. 183.75

Passing Yards 265.5 vs. 256.25

Total Offense 421 vs. 440

Turnovers 1.75 vs. 1

OPP 2008 2009

Points 19.5 vs. 7

First Downs 19.5 vs. 15.75

Rushing Yards 116.25 vs. 115.75

Passing Yards 238.5 vs. 169.75

Total Offense 354.75 vs. 285.5

Turnovers 1.5 vs. 1.75

Offense

Rushing Lucky - 42-186-4-4.2 vs. Helu - 73-464-5-6.4 (attempts-yards-TD-avg.)

Passing Ganz - 67-104-4-997-7-64.4% vs. Lee - 68-105-3-927-7-64.8% (comp-att-int-yard-td-comp%)

Receiving Catch Swift/Peterson - 15 vs. McNeil/Helu - 11

Receiving Yards Swift - 259 vs. Gilleylen - 255

Receiving TD McNeil - 3 vs. McNeil - 2

Defense

Tackles Glenn - 35 vs. Suh - 26

Tackles for Loss Potter/Glenn - 3.5 vs. Suh - 6

Sacks 3 tied with 2 vs. Suh - 2

Interceptions 5 tied with 1 vs. 3 tied with 1

Thanks for the research, statistically we're alot better on pass D, but I think we are still giving up too many rushing yards. A few too many runs of 10+ yards probably has the overall numbers up. I think we're still the best overall defense in the north, maybe even in the B12(OU giving up less than 5 ppg).

Not to be contentious or anything, but you can't compare seasons with different opponents. VT was common to both seasons, but the rest of the 2009 OOC opponents were weak sisters. Last year you played a 9 win Western Mich. Face it... the Sun Belt isn't competitive.

Good stuff, I like the break down NE. The D looks drastically better, Total D is good enough for 23rd in the Nation right now. On offense I see two things I like. First they are averaging 30 more rush yards a game and only 10 less in the passing game. I think this better balance makes for a more difficult team to stop. Also you can see that this team has a lot more big play potential. The leading receiving yardage, Swift - 259 vs. Gilleylen - 255, and total catches, Receiving Catch Swift/Peterson - 15 vs. McNeil/Helu - 11, statistics show this. Gilleylen is within 4 yards of Swift but has 7 less catches than Swift had at this time and averages nearly 32 yards a reception. I would love to see him get more passes thrown his way.

Defense

I'm glad that a D lineman is leading in tackles.

Why? Normally, a LB leads in tackles. I guess a DL is better to lead the team in tackles than a safety, but I still would prefer the LB's to step up and be the bigtime playmakers.

Thanks for the research, statistically we're alot better on pass D, but I think we are still giving up too many rushing yards. A few too many runs of 10+ yards probably has the overall numbers up. I think we're still the best overall defense in the north, maybe even in the B12(OU giving up less than 5 ppg).

Not to be contentious or anything, but you can't compare seasons with different opponents. VT was common to both seasons, but the rest of the 2009 OOC opponents were weak sisters. Last year you played a 9 win Western Mich. Face it... the Sun Belt isn't competitive.

????

Okay, well four games into last year's season...western michigan wasn't a 9 win team were they?

Do you have some esp ability that allows to you foresee the records of every team? Do you know for a fact that Arkansas St. or FAU won't reach nine wins.

Your argument is just as flawed as this one might be.

Defense

I'm glad that a D lineman is leading in tackles.

Why? Normally, a LB leads in tackles. I guess a DL is better to lead the team in tackles than a safety, but I still would prefer the LB's to step up and be the bigtime playmakers.

I think it's a good sign for run defense. Isn't it?

Run defense, yes. Pass defense? I highly doubt we get more sacks than they get throws completed. I don't think we need a D where if the DL doesn't get you you score.

I don't think we do have a d where if the dl doesn't get you you score.

Haven't really seen that happen yet besides those two fluke plays against Va tech.