here is the best average of rankings that i have seen...

http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Nebraska sits at #12 overall right behind USC and right ahead of OU...

I think that's way too high. I think at this point we're right where we should be. Yeah, we should have beat VTech, but we didn't. We will get up there if we do the things that are in our power. We have to prove ourselves on the road against Missour & Kansas, and at home against Texas Tech and OU. The rankings will take care of themselves if we do our part.

Agreed that's way too high, except when you consider who else is out there. It's too high and it's not too high, when you factor in that every team has glaring weaknesses. Ours seems to be finishing the deal. We learn that, look out. Because we're talented enough to be in the top 15. Maybe inside the top 10, compared to what else is out there.

http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Nebraska sits at #12 overall right behind USC and right ahead of OU...

I think that's way too high. I think at this point we're right where we should be. Yeah, we should have beat VTech, but we didn't. We will get up there if we do the things that are in our power. We have to prove ourselves on the road against Missour & Kansas, and at home against Texas Tech and OU. The rankings will take care of themselves if we do our part.

i think this one is pretty close to right. there arent too many teams that i would be scared of behind us....and ahead of us i think we could beat both TCU and Iowa almost for sure.

this is an average of all polls and it is just an overall evaluation of what the polls show...

I can't believe that real Husker fans are so fixated on phony poll projections after the non-con schedule in which we have NOT YET BEATEN A SINGLE DECENT FOOTBALL TEAM. Now I am not commenting on all the mathematical gyrations that may put this team or that team in the poll at this or that position. The idea that we are the number 12 team in the country having beaten three Sunbelt teams---honestly did you know 3 teams in the sunbelt conferen ce before this season?--and losing to the only real legitimate team we have played.

Now if we whip Misery on the road and continue winning in the North and take care of that team you claim is rated "right behind us" OU--which will likely be an overwhelming favorite if Bradford is healthy, then sure we should be in the the top 12.

But why don't we just worry about BEATING SOMEBODY and let the ratings wait until we do???

I can't believe that real Husker fans are so fixated on phony poll projections after the non-con schedule in which we have NOT YET BEATEN A SINGLE DECENT FOOTBALL TEAM. Now I am not commenting on all the mathematical gyrations that may put this team or that team in the poll at this or that position. The idea that we are the number 12 team in the country having beaten three Sunbelt teams---honestly did you know 3 teams in the sunbelt conferen ce before this season?--and losing to the only real legitimate team we have played.

Now if we whip Misery on the road and continue winning in the North and take care of that team you claim is rated "right behind us" OU--which will likely be an overwhelming favorite if Bradford is healthy, then sure we should be in the the top 12.

But why don't we just worry about BEATING SOMEBODY and let the ratings wait until we do???

this is called a nebraska football message board, we talk about things related to NU football!

and on another note.....who has anyone played? as you said we just completed the non con portion of our schedule! guess what.....so did everyone else! most teams have only played one or even zero good football teams. by your logic, florida should not be number one because they havent played anyone, whereas houston should be number one because they have played and beaten 2 big 12 teams......your logic makes no sense!

this is called a nebraska football message board, we talk about things related to NU football!

and on another note.....who has anyone played? as you said we just completed the non con portion of our schedule! guess what.....so did everyone else! most teams have only played one or even zero good football teams. by your logic, florida should not be number one because they havent played anyone, whereas houston should be number one because they have played and beaten 2 big 12 teams......your logic makes no sense!

Fine then why not just declare us the BCS champion for the year and be done with it. Why play the teams on our schedule. I have had it with this early season hype of how we have arrived at the place we all want to be, only to be brought down by the rusty rod of reality. Though you are correct that we have not seen how a lot of good teams will react we do have common sense. If we beat a good team on the road (something we have not done in years and a good place to start before annointing ourselves in the elite dozen progams by some Rube Goldberg metric) then we could surely be in the top 15. TCOB and beat TT and OU and KU---then we are top 5 material. Why the angst to claim something we have not EARNED? It's not like we are going to fool anyone. If we get beat by 3 touchdowns at Misery or against TT or OU- we are not going to be rated anywhere close to the top programs. If we win out --we win it all. Geeesh it's too silly for NU football fans. Patience and common sense seems to be in short supply

Fine then why not just declare us the BCS champion for the year and be done with it. Why play the teams on our schedule. I have had it with this early season hype of how we have arrived at the place we all want to be, only to be brought down by the rusty rod of reality. Though you are correct that we have not seen how a lot of good teams will react we do have common sense. If we beat a good team on the road (something we have not done in years and a good place to start before annointing ourselves in the elite dozen progams by some Rube Goldberg metric) then we could surely be in the top 15. TCOB and beat TT and OU and KU---then we are top 5 material. Why the angst to claim something we have not EARNED? It's not like we are going to fool anyone. If we get beat by 3 touchdowns at Misery or against TT or OU- we are not going to be rated anywhere close to the top programs. If we win out --we win it all. Geeesh it's too silly for NU football fans. Patience and common sense seems to be in short supply

common sense says that this is a poll that is an average of every other poll out there including the AP and Coaches poll! common sense says that...why do we have to earn this ranking if some other team does not? common sense says that these will be vastly different by the time the end of the season rolls around.

common sense says that you are scared to think that we just might be kinda good...

They may not be great football teams, but is there any other team in the Big 12 that played 4 teams that were bowl eligible last year? I don't know, that's why I'm asking? :dunno

common sense says that this is a poll that is an average of every other poll out there including the AP and Coaches poll! common sense says that...why do we have to earn this ranking if some other team does not? common sense says that these will be vastly different by the time the end of the season rolls around.

common sense says that you are scared to think that we just might be kinda good...

Commons sense says I have seen this tripe in the last 3 years before. I will buy into it after we BEAT SOMEBODY. Sorry, too old to get excited by fictious polls. Will be pleased with a win on OCT 8 and then can get quite excited about this season. Until then I have a hard time buying into the "we're number 12" jive. Your milage and koolaid may vary.

I say we ditch the poles, take the champions from each BCS conference, throw in a couple others and duke it out in the playoffs.

Until then (bascially never because $$ guides the BCS), the polls are all we have to determine where we are at on a week to week basis. By looking at the current polls, I think its safe to say that they'll drastically change when its all said and done.

I keep hearing the mantra that "we haven't earned anything" yadda yadda. Know what? If you look at most of the teams in the polls, NEITHER HAVE THEY. We're not the only team that has to prove ourselves--so does every other team (although it sure doesn't seem like it at times).

On a side note: It is rather unfair to saddle Pelini with the past shortcomings (losses) of two prior coaching staffs. That's what I come to expect from the national media--NOT NU fans. This staff is earning their pay and you darn well know it. If you can't see this team making leaps and bounds improvements since this guy took over, then I don't know what games you're watching. In Year One, we've seen a team go from basically being functionally illiterate to winning a bowl against a decent team. In Year Two, we're beginning to develop an identity and a winning attitude.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not going to sit around in a self-imposed purgatory because "we haven't earned anything yet." I'm enjoying every minute of watching this team rise from the ashes. I may never see it again, and it makes me wonder if this what the first Devaney years were like. I suggest that we sit back and savor watching it grow. Feel free to gripe about our ranking--that's why these forums are here. Just keep it all in perspective and remember that we're not the only team that has to prove ourselves.