Mizzou position breakdown

DocNice

Tis indeed the silly season when both teams are declaring kicking superiority with an 8/9 kicker vs a 10/10 kicker and a 42 vs 45 yd punter.

The game my friends will be decided most likely by who has to use those gentlemen the least. Who can score TDs will be the story.

On our side I am hoping that Lee is he QB we have seen in all of his starts except VT. Otherwise I worry that we will get a lot of yards and not many TDs. Our passing game has to click imo. 15 points won't likely help much in this game.

I, like everyone else is hoping that the DL can put enough pressure on Gabbert that he makes mistakes. That the DL play takes pressure off of both the inexperienced but fast LB and DB corps. The best thing that could happen is for Asante's ankle to be 100%. With Thenarse out, we sure don't need a safety with a catch in the getalong who needs to cut and keep up with receivers. Ankles are often not quick to heal on RBs or DBs because of the job they do. Not making an excuse, just saying we need our safeties and Cbs totally healthy because the crew that will line up against us are not going to be 3 yds and a cloud of dust. We will have to shut down the passing game.

Special Teams:

Nebraska Wins, we have a better kicker. Correction, two better kickers.

Henery is 8 for 9 attempted FG. 88.9%

Missouri's Grant Ressel is 10 for 10. (Also 15/15 xp's) 100%

Winner: Ressel.

Not bad for the replacement for the most accurate place kicker in NCAA history, Jeff Wolfert.

Wolfert finished with an NCAA-record by making 94.9 percent of his career kicks (59-of-72 field goals, 185-of-185 extra points). John Lee held the previous record, making 93.3 percent for UCLA from 1982-85.

http://stats.nj.com/nfldraft/players.asp?id=136043

oh...

MU's Jake Harry averages 45 yds/punt

Henery averages 42.

Just sayin'

I guess you do have a point with the FG kicking, it could pretty much be considered a wash. I would personally pick Alex over Ressel because he is money from inside 50 and has proven he can make them over 50 whereas Ressel hasn't.

Its hard to analyze punting stats to be honest. One or the other could have a longer distance because of how much field they have to work with. All I know is Alex seems to have a knack for getting it to shoot sideways as soon as it hits the ground. It has happened atleast twice this season to my knowledge. Alex's overall stats so far for punting are

Long: 76

Touchbacks: 2

Fair Caught: 1

Iniside 20: 7

and one blocked, which was more of a tip, but whatever. I don't know where to look for Ressel's so I can't compare. But Alex seems pretty decent to me.

What I meant by the two better kickers was Alex on FG and Punts, and Adi on kickoffs he is 16 of 31 for touchbacks.

When I say Special Teams I'm not just talking about kickers <_<

I'm also talking about coverages. I have to go to work now and can't pull out the stats, but with the exception of one big VaTech kick off return I'm pretty sure Nebraska has dominated kick coverage. We have yet to give up a kick off or punt return for a touchdown as well.

Special Teams:

Nebraska Wins, we have a better kicker. Correction, two better kickers.

Henery is 8 for 9 attempted FG. 88.9%

Missouri's Grant Ressel is 10 for 10. (Also 15/15 xp's) 100%

Winner: Ressel.

Not bad for the replacement for the most accurate place kicker in NCAA history, Jeff Wolfert.

Wolfert finished with an NCAA-record by making 94.9 percent of his career kicks (59-of-72 field goals, 185-of-185 extra points). John Lee held the previous record, making 93.3 percent for UCLA from 1982-85.

http://stats.nj.com/nfldraft/players.asp?id=136043

oh...

MU's Jake Harry averages 45 yds/punt

Henery averages 42.

Just sayin'

I guess you do have a point with the FG kicking, it could pretty much be considered a wash. I would personally pick Alex over Ressel because he is money from inside 50 and has proven he can make them over 50 whereas Ressel hasn't.

Its hard to analyze punting stats to be honest. One or the other could have a longer distance because of how much field they have to work with. All I know is Alex seems to have a knack for getting it to shoot sideways as soon as it hits the ground. It has happened atleast twice this season to my knowledge. Alex's overall stats so far for punting are

Long: 76

Touchbacks: 2

Fair Caught: 1

Iniside 20: 7

and one blocked, which was more of a tip, but whatever. I don't know where to look for Ressel's so I can't compare. But Alex seems pretty decent to me.

What I meant by the two better kickers was Alex on FG and Punts, and Adi on kickoffs he is 16 of 31 for touchbacks.

Jake's look about the same:

Long: 69

Touchbacks: 1

Fair Caught: 4

Inside 20: 6

Blocks: 0

Mizzou's rankings

Rushing Offense - #62 with 151 carries for 572 yds which is 3.79 per carry w/ 143.00 yds per game

Passing Offense - #12 w/ 143 attempts w/ 94 complitions for 310.00 yds per game 1240 yds in 4 games

Scoring Offense - #20 scoring an average 36.75 pts per game (17 TD's, 15 xpts, 10 fgs)

Total Offense - #16 with 1812 yards with average of 453.00 yards per game

Rushing Defense - #64 allowed 535 yds in 4 games allowing 133.75 yds per game

Passing Defense - #68 allowed 872 yds in 4 games allowing 218.00 yds per game

Turnovers - #T-33 4 fumbles, 2 INT's but Mizzou has lost 3 fumbles and 0 INT's

Scoring Defense - #25 allowed 8 TD's, 3xpts, 1oxp, 3 fg's in 4 games averaging 15.50 pts per game

Total Defense - #T-63 allowed 1407 yards in 4 games allowing avg 351.75 yds per game

Nebraska's Rankings

Rushing Offense - #41 w/ 130 carries for 735 yds which is 5.65 yards per carry for 183.75 yds per game

Passing Offense - #33 w/ 122 attemtps w/ 80 complitions for 256.25 yds per game 1025 yds in 4 games

Scoring Offense - #11 scoring an average 39.25 pts per game (19 TD's, 19xpts, 8 fgs)

Total Offense - #20 with 1760 yds with an average of 440.00 yds per game

Rushing Defense - #T-45 allowed 463 yds in 4 games allowing 115.75 yds per game

Passing Defense - #31 allowed 679 yds in 4 games allowing 169.00 yds per game

Turnovers - #T-18 4 fumbles, 3 INT's but the Huskers haven't lost a fumble but have throw 3 INT's

Scoring Defense - #3 has allowed 3 TD's, 1 xpt, 3 fg's in 4 games averaging 7 pts per game

Total Defense - #23 allowed 1142 yds in 4 games allowing 285.50 yds per game.

Mizzou vs Nebraska by Position

QB: I'm giving the edge to Blaine because lets face it Mizzou is a one dimensional team and thats their passing game. Blaine is ranked #9 in the nation with passing and has thrown the ball 131 times for 1161 yards for 11 TDs and no INT's. The problem with Mizzou is that they haven't faced a tough passing defense besides Bowling Green who's #49 in the nation allowing 199.25 yds per game and 6 TD passes. Illinois is #100 allowing 253.67 yds per game and Nevada is #118 allowing 312.00 yds per game. I'm sorry but Mizzou hasn't faced a tough Passing Defense.

Winner: Its a tight one but I'm going with Blaine because of 11 TD's and 0 INT's. Zac Lee isn't too far behind either as to take over this one.

RB: Nebraska wins this hands down and if you disagree than you are more retarded than Dennis Hoffman in Rain Man. Roy Helu is ranked #10 in the nation in rushing with 464 yds in 4 games and 5 TD's. Mizzou is struggling in running and Washington just isn't what he was from last year. They are barely breaking over 3 yds per carry if you take away 2 long runs in a few games. Pinkel agrees that they're running game isn't good and Nebraska is way better in this area.

Winner: Nebraska by a landslide

WR: Mizzou has two top notch WR's who are in the top 50 in the nation with receiving yards. Alexander is #18 in the nation w/ 404 yds recieving 4 TD's and Perry w/ 381 yds receiving 5 TD's. Our receivers don't come any where near these two besides Gilleylan w/ 255 yds and 1 TD. We need to contain these two receivers but I don't think that they've played against a good pass defense yet.

Winner: Mizzou

TE: There is without a doubt that Nebraska has a huge depth in this position and we have some playmakers in this area. Not only can they catch the ball but they play a huge part in our running game w/ their blocking. We've played 4 TE's so far and two redshirt freshman playing TE too.

Winner: Nebraska

OL: Nebraska's OL is just the better pick here and we ran all over Virginia Tech. The OL is one reason why Helu is the #10 rusher in the Nation and why Nebraska is # 41 in rushing and #33 in passing. Nebraska's OL has only allowed 1 sack where Mizzou has allowed 3. Nebraska has faced three tougher opponents that are ranked higher than Mizzous previous opponents.

DL: With of the best front fours in the Nation and soon to be a top pick in the NFL draft there is a reason why Nebraska is #3 in Scoring defense and #23 in Total Defense. We have 10 sacks in 4 games and only allowing an adverage of 7 pts per game.

LB: This is a toss up but I'm going to go slightly with Mizzou because of experience and because of Weatherspoon. I know we have Dillard but we have two redshirt freshman starting at Linebacker with very little experience but mark my word within next year or in two years our LB position is going to be scary.

Winner: Mizzou slightly

DB: I'm going to go with Nebraska on this one because there is a reason why our Pass Defense is #31 in the nation. Most of that goes with the front four putting pressure on the QB but some that falls on the DBs on blocking down passes or covering the receivers perfect to the point where the QB has to throw the ball away, scatter, or take a sack.

Special Teams Receiving: Nebraska hands down with Niles Paul and Burkhead in the backfield. Niles Paul is always a threat when he gets the ball.

Speacial Teams: I'm going to go with Nebraska here. Not only does Henery kick field goals but he punts the ball to pretty talented kid. Henery would be perfect in the field goal stats but missed a 50+ field goal. Henery's longest this season is 46 yds but Grant Ressel has kicked a 46 yd but can he hit anything over 50+ yds. Henery has proved it but not Ressel.

Winner: Henery

Missouri

Rushing:

3.16 Yards per Carry against Illinois (Illini defense gives up average of 3.85 per carry)

4.11 Yards per Carry against Bowling Green (Bowling Green defense gives up average of 5.36 per carry)

2.29 Yards per Carry against Nevada (Nevada defense gives up average of 3.78 per carry)

So, Missouri's offense is achieving 73% of the rushing offense that other teams produce against the same opponents.

Passing:

9.3 Yards per attempt against Illinois (Illini defense gives up average of 7.6 per attempt)

5.2 Yards per attempt against Bowling Green (Bowling Green defense gives up average of 6.5 per attempt)

10.4 Yards per attempt against Nevada (Nevada defense gives up average of 11.6 per attempt)

So, Missouri's offense is acheiving 97% of the passing offense that other teams produce against the same opponents.

*In general, these are skewed slightly against Missouri because Boise State throttled BG's defense.

*No stats available for Furman.

Nebraska

Rushing:

8.09 Yards per carry against Florida Atlantic (defensive average of 6.58 per carry)

4.86 Yards per carry against Arkansas State (defensive average of 3.23 per carry)

5.75 Yards per carry against Virginia Tech (defensive average of 4.49)

3.91 Yards per carry against Louisiana-Lafayette (defensive average of 4.00)

So, Nebraska's offense is acheiving 125% of the rushing offense that other teams produce against the same opponents.

Passing:

9.2 Yards per attempt against Florida Atlantic (defensive average of 8.6 per attempt)

8.7 Yards per attempt against Arkansas State (defensive average of 7.3 per attempt)

4.5 Yards per attempt against Virginia Tech (defensive average of 5.4 per attempt)

11.5 Yards per attempt against Louisiana-Lafayette (defensive average of 7.9 per attempt)

So, Nebraska's offense is acheiving 114% of the passing offense that other teams produce against the same opponents.

-------

Nebraska's defense gives up 113 rushing yards per game, so if we assume Missouri continues their rushing trend, they will rush for 83 yards.

Nebraska's defense gives up 170 passing yards per game, so if we assume Missouri continues their passing trend, they will pass for 165 yards.

Missouri's defense gives up 134 rushing yards per game, so if we assume Nebraska continues their rushing trend, they will rush for 167 yards.

Missouri's defense gives up 218 passing yards per game, so if we assume Nebraska continues their rushing trend, they will pass for 249 yards.

Missouri total offense: 248 yards

Nebraska total offense: 416 yards

-------

Missouri total points scored: 147

Missouri total yards: 1812

So, Missouri scores 1 point for every 12 yards of offense they acheive, or .08 points per yard.

Nebraska total points scored: 157

Nebraska total yards: 1760

So, Nebraska scores 1 point for every 11 yards of offense they acheive, or .09 points per yard.

-------

By taking the expected yards each team will acheive and multiplying it by their points/yard average, we could get a "statistically predicted" score:

Missouri: 20

Nebraska: 37

-------

Take it for whatever you want. There's plenty of variables that are completely ignored in that analysis, but it's still the most basic statiscal comparison we can do that eliminates the schedule factor.

Missouri

Rushing:

3.16 Yards per Carry against Illinois (Illini defense gives up average of 3.85 per carry)

4.11 Yards per Carry against Bowling Green (Bowling Green defense gives up average of 5.36 per carry)

2.29 Yards per Carry against Nevada (Nevada defense gives up average of 3.78 per carry)

So, Missouri's offense is achieving 73% of the rushing offense that other teams produce against the same opponents.

Passing:

9.3 Yards per attempt against Illinois (Illini defense gives up average of 7.6 per attempt)

5.2 Yards per attempt against Bowling Green (Bowling Green defense gives up average of 6.5 per attempt)

10.4 Yards per attempt against Nevada (Nevada defense gives up average of 11.6 per attempt)

So, Missouri's offense is acheiving 97% of the passing offense that other teams produce against the same opponents.

*In general, these are skewed slightly against Missouri because Boise State throttled BG's defense.

*No stats available for Furman.

Nebraska

Rushing:

8.09 Yards per carry against Florida Atlantic (defensive average of 6.58 per carry)

4.86 Yards per carry against Arkansas State (defensive average of 3.23 per carry)

5.75 Yards per carry against Virginia Tech (defensive average of 4.49)

3.91 Yards per carry against Louisiana-Lafayette (defensive average of 4.00)

So, Nebraska's offense is acheiving 125% of the rushing offense that other teams produce against the same opponents.

Passing:

9.2 Yards per attempt against Florida Atlantic (defensive average of 8.6 per attempt)

8.7 Yards per attempt against Arkansas State (defensive average of 7.3 per attempt)

4.5 Yards per attempt against Virginia Tech (defensive average of 5.4 per attempt)

11.5 Yards per attempt against Louisiana-Lafayette (defensive average of 7.9 per attempt)

So, Nebraska's offense is acheiving 114% of the passing offense that other teams produce against the same opponents.

-------

Nebraska's defense gives up 113 rushing yards per game, so if we assume Missouri continues their rushing trend, they will rush for 83 yards.

Nebraska's defense gives up 170 passing yards per game, so if we assume Missouri continues their passing trend, they will pass for 165 yards.

Missouri's defense gives up 134 rushing yards per game, so if we assume Nebraska continues their rushing trend, they will rush for 167 yards.

Missouri's defense gives up 218 passing yards per game, so if we assume Nebraska continues their rushing trend, they will pass for 249 yards.

Missouri total offense: 248 yards

Nebraska total offense: 416 yards

-------

Missouri total points scored: 147

Missouri total yards: 1812

So, Missouri scores 1 point for every 12 yards of offense they acheive, or .08 points per yard.

Nebraska total points scored: 157

Nebraska total yards: 1760

So, Nebraska scores 1 point for every 11 yards of offense they acheive, or .09 points per yard.

-------

By taking the expected yards each team will acheive and multiplying it by their points/yard average, we could get a "statistically predicted" score:

Missouri: 20

Nebraska: 37

-------

Take it for whatever you want. There's plenty of variables that are completely ignored in that analysis, but it's still the most basic statiscal comparison we can do that eliminates the schedule factor.

Okay, this is so dorky but for some reason i loved it! Totally cool!!!

Thank you, DocNice, for sharing that breakdown. I've been interested for the last week or so in reading a breakdown of Missouri's offense & defense and I'm glad that you provided 1.

Here is my breakdown of the Huskers. I won't be able to describe things in the nice detail that you did, as I'm not really a football expert by any means, just a hardcore Husker fan who watches every Husker game. This is my personal breakdown based on what I've observed from Nebraska this year.

Quarterback

Zac Lee (6'2, 210 lbs) tore up Florida Atlantic, Arkansas State & UL-Lafayette. He had a somewhat of a bad day against VT but I personally think he did better than people say. He had some really good throws, had some good throws that were dropped, he had a bad interception & three or four bad passes that luckily weren't intercepted. I'm still impressed with Lee, he's a first year starter & his bad game was on the road in a tough enviroment against a damn good defense.

Zac Lee has a cannon for an arm, i don't know if he can throw the football as far as Gabbert, but he does have a cannon. Alot of his throws are beautiful & pinpoint, where only his receiver has a chance to get it. He's also a significantly better decision maker than Joe Ganz. He's a decent scrambler & can make accurate throws while dodging defenders. He'll run the ball if he has to & he's not afraid to take a hit.

Running Back

Basically we're two deep at running back - Roy Helu & Rex Burkhead. Roy Helu is one of those shifty backs, not a power back. After the Arkansas State game, I thought that Helu was overrated but then the next week he tore up Virginia Tech's defense for 169 yards rushing & 33 receiving. One of the reasons, I think, why Helu only had average performances against Arkansas State & UL-Lafayette is because they stacked the box to stop the run, which didn't matter because it only helped Zac Lee tear them up in the passing game.

Rex Burkhead is just a hardass.

Our running backs have done a very solid job this year of maintaining control of the football. We haven't given up a single fumble all year, & although Helu fumbled twice against UL-Lafayette, both fumbles were recovered.

Receivers

IMO our receivers are solid but not spectacular. Our main four receivers are Menelik Holt, Curenski Gilleylen, Niles Paul & Chris Brooks. Menelik Holt is a big receiver (6'4, 220 lbs) & he's made some nice catches but seemed to have butterfingers against VT. Niles Paul is the best blocker out of our receivers, but as a receiver is inconsistent. He had a big day against Arkansas State & I remember him making a good play or two against VT, but didn't really do much against Florida Atlantic or UL-Lafayette. Curenski Gilleylen is our deep threat & seems to be Lee's favorite target, although Lee does a good job of distributing the ball evenly. Chris Brooks is our most underrated receiver IMO just because he does what a receiver is supposed to do - catch the ball. He's not a burner but if the ball's thrown his way he will catch it, he has very good hands.

Offensive Line

So far, our O-line has contained and dominated every d-line they've faced, with the exception of Virginia Tech DE Jason Worilds. They are very physical but they seem to get penalized alot. Our starters are LT Mike Smith (6'6, 295 lbs), LG Keith Williams (6'5, 305 lbs), C Jacob Hickman (6'4, 290 lbs), RG Ricky Henry (6'4, 300 lbs), RT Marcel Jones (6'7, 310 lbs).

Defensive Line

DT Ndamukong Suh is IMO the best lineman in the country, offensive or defensive. If you watched the Virginia Tech game, Suh flat out dominated preseason all-american guard Sergio Render. Suh is also pretty damn fast for a defensive tackle & already this year I've seen him run 10 yards or more past the line of scrimmage to tackle a guy. Jared Crick, the other starter at DT, is a solid player. DE Pierre Allen is a solid player & has pretty good speed. DE Barry Turner looked horrible against Arkansas State but he really picked it up against VT & had a damn good game, made 6 tackles or something & really just played solid the whole game.

Linebackers

Two of our three starting linebackers are redshirt freshmen - Sean Fisher & Will Compton. The other is Phil Dillard, who has been buried in the depth chart most of the spring & for the first two games but started against VT b/c our coaches thought he could help stop their running game & he played solid against VT. Our linebacking core isnt dominant but all three starters thus far seem to be solid tacklers.

Secondary

Our secondary is IMO the weakest part of our defense. Suprisingly the strong point of our secondary is SS Larry Asante, whos been playing good football so far (he got injured against UL-Lafayette but its supposed to be just a minor injury). The rest of our secondary is average, although I think CB Prince Amukamura & backup CB Alfonzo Dennard have potential.

However, I'm not worried about our secondary b/c I feel the dominance of our defensive line will narrow the playing field for our secondary against Missouri's receivers.

Thanks! It sounds like Lee is the real deal. You could say this about either QB, because Lee somewhat failed his first test, and you could argue that Gabbert hasn't been tested by a vicious pass rush and great secondary. Pinkel's quote about QB's is, "QB's are like tea, you never know what you've got until you put them in hot water."

Now, I personally think Gabbert has seen some hot water, and he's also seen just about every kind of defensive strategy he's likely to see this year, including dropping everyone into coverage, pressuring with just 4 rushers, and blitzing like crazy, and seems to be handling it very well. He also seems, so far, to get better under pressure. Not pass rush pressure, but game pressure. His QB rating is better when we're down or late in the game than early.

It sounds like the real strength of your team is the lines and your QB and RB. To me, that means your running game has to dominate, which could be hard against Mizzou despite what Nevada did to us, and if you do that you must be able to make us pay with play action. Mizzou's strategy will be to let you chip away with the running game, get lots of yards, but stall drives on the occasional short run that puts you in 3rd and long.

The defensive line doesn't bother me too much. It could make us one dimensional, but from what I've heard, you're not likely to get an undo amount of pressure with just 4 linemen. The spread can help compensate for a weaker line with better skill players, so we're pretty used to losing the LOS against better teams and still moving the ball. It will make more difference in the red zone, so limiting big plays and holding us to field goals is the key for you on defense.

Not trying to flame ya here but, your above statement doesn't really hold water. MU up to this point is averaging barely above 3 yds per attempt vs inferior opponents. In a couple of your games ( can't recall which) if you take away a couple of 40 yd runs MU is barely making 2 yds per carry.

I think the Pelini brothers are going to get after your line with alot of stunts and blitzes and Gabbert is going to see pressure like never before.

Offense is not just rushing.

Good deduction.

Im taking anything away from the Mizzou players, but quite frankly i feel that their is more experience, talent and depth on the Husker side than the Mizzou side.

QB - Zac Lee is almost in the same boat as Gabbert, athletically speaking of course, they both have flaws and will be pretty close when the stats end this year and need work throughout the season, and it will be fun to watch both their development. Lee's major flaw is playing in a hostile environment and getting a rhythm when on the road, though we only have one game to go by on that, the Mizzou one will be another big test for him.

RB - Im just going to flat out say it, Helu is better than Washington, and i think Burkhead will be ok running against them as well.

WR - This could be looked as a weakness, Huskers came into the season with the notion that TE's would get more use than WR's, but quite frankly its been passed around pretty evenly, maybe more so for the WR. Even though we dont have a firm set of WR's yet, there are a lot that stand out. Such as Gilleylen, Brooks, Holt, and Paul. Even the backups have gotten some attention like Cooper, Kinnie, and Bell.

Offesive line - What can i say, would Helu be able to slash his through the first 4 games like he with crummy blocking? Or would Lee only have been sacked 3 times this year if the blocking that was that bad?

Defensive line - C'mon, do i need to go here? We held VaTech to 16 points. And 13 of them came from two bad defensive stands. I wouldn't expect any less of an outstanding performance from the Husker defense line on Thursday.

LB - Although they are young, they have been doing a great job learning the position and have helped with the fact that Huskers have only given up 28 points in just 4 games.

Coverage - Gabbert has a strong arm, and has proved it in the past 4 games, our coverage will be tested if the DL cant put enough pressure on him to make mistakes.

Keys to a Husker victory...

We must win the turnover battle, whether it comes with INT's or fumbles, we have to win it.

Lee must be able to get into a passing rhytme should the running game get a little flaky. He must come out and take charge of the offense against the crowd.

Helu must be prepared to run good and hard against the Tigers if Lee cant get things together with the passing game.

DL needs to apply pressure to Gabbert, make him force throws or put it up for grabs, LB need to watch Gabbert's speed, and the coverage needs to get picks or swat away passes when the ball is thrown. NO BLOWN COVERAGES!!!

Thanks for the breakdown. Based on what you and others said, here's how I see the "talent comparison". This doesn't really mean head to head advantage, but it's fun for fans to talk about. I'm sure others will see things differently, because I see an advantage for Mizzou.

QB:

Gabbert - Passing yards ranked 9 (despite 2nd fewest attempts in top 10), passing efficiency ranked 9th (one of 2 players in top 10 for yards and effieciency, plus he's top 10 in total offense), 0 INTs, 11 TDs, somewhat untested, but so far plays better under pressure situations.

Lee - Passing yards ranked 42, passing efficiency ranked 22, 3 INTs, 7 TDs, 11 for 30 in his toughest game

Advantage: Gabbert

RB:

Washington - Very good back. 45% of team carries, 4.4 YPC, 75 YPG, voted 2nd team all conference

Helu - Very good back, likely will finish over 1,000 yards barring injury and good potential for all conference team, 6.3 YPC, 116 YPG

Advantage: Slight edge to Helu based on season so far. Advantage last year was Washington. Given other factors such as O-line and depth, I'm tempted to call this one a push, but for the sake of argument, I'll say slight advantage Helu.

WR:

Mizzou: 3 proven playmakers who will contend for all conference this year, plus players with lots of potential in the wings

Nebraska: From what I've seen and the comments on this board a solid but not great group.

Advantage: Significant Mizzou advantage

O-Line:

Mizzou: 3 of the 5 are above average to very good. 1 position is average and the other position below average. As a group, they are playing average right now (season as a whole, not just Nevada), but have potential to be above average.

Nebraska: From what I know, they've consistently opened holes and protected the QB even against good competition.

Advantage: Significant advantage in production for NU, slight advantage in talent I'll say, though I do think Mizzou can make up ground here. Offensive Line is the 2nd hardest position to master in college football, and we've got 3 freshmen (including 2 true frosh) and 5 sophomores in the 2 deep, with only 1 Jr and 1 Sr. This group will improve, the question is how much. Offensive lines this young generally aren't very good at all. We've been more inconsistent: good at times and bad at times.

D-line:

Mizzou: Our defensive end rotation is the best I've ever seen at Mizzou. We have a 3 headed monster here and sometimes they're all on the field at the same time. At least one of them will go pro, and 2 have a legit shot. They run like linebackers, but have enough beef and talent to play the rush well. DT, we've got more talent than they're playing. Jaron Baston is a proven playmaker, but a step down from our NFL level DTs the last few years that clogged the middle. Sophomore Terrell Resonno is physically very very talented, but hasn't had production to match. He MIGHT play in the NFL one day, but right now he needs better technique and more of a mean streak. His backup and the 3rd main rotation player is most likely to get pushed around by a good offensive line.

Nebraska: Suh. Enough said. Plus I hear good things about his counterpart. I've also heard you've got good but not special DE's and pass rush. A good DT makes a pass rush look better because the QB can't step forward though.

Advantage: You guys aren't going to like this, but I'm calling this one a push. You've got better run stopping, but we've got better pass rush and edge pursuit. I would be open to arguments though. I do think NU could outplay us here if your ends play really smart assignment football, but on talent alone, I do think it's a push, mainly because of Suh.

LB:

Mizzou: Sean Weatherspoon, All American candidate. 2 deep at every position, all of them faster than your average LB. As a unit, probably one of the top 2 or 3 fastest LB corps in the conference. And they hit really hard. Easily the best LB unit we've had at Mizzou.

Nebraska: From what I hear, you've brought in some talented new players that have upgraded your speed. I'd say that's equivalent to Mizzou's 2nd team, and I mean that as a compliment, because those guys will play almost equal time with the starters. They're really good. However, we still have the starters as well, so...

Advantage: Mizzou

Secondary:

Mizzou: Much maligned last year, one of worst in the country. However, that wasn't due to lack of talent. We were worst in the nation in long plays given up, and players openly and in the media complained that communication was bad and sometimes they didn't know what defense they were supposed to be playing. Bad bad bad. Even if they just cut big plays in half, still over the national average, we'd have been ranked in the 50s in pass defense against the Big 12 QBs. Not horrible. This team has the most speed we've ever had on secondary, and leads the conference in fewest big plays under new defensive coordinator Dave Steckel. We've faced some pretty decent QBs and are doing alright in pass defense. We're not going to be Florida or Oklahoma, but this secondary I think is going to end the year pretty respected. I expect top 5 in conference and possibly top 3.

Nebraska: From what I've seen here this is the weak link in your defense and really could get tested. Unknown whether can hold their own or not against a good passing attack.

Advantage: Mizzou, possibly big advantage.

:facepalm: Your running back and d-line conclusions . . . (2 yards less per carry against better competition and you call it a push?! And d-line . . . my head hurts.)

We're not talking about production, we're talking about talent. DWash has already been voted 2nd team all conference. Considering he's the leading returning rusher and already acheived higher accolades and we both agree that your line is opening more holes, I think a push is quite defensible, yet I still gave you the slight advantage. Not sure what you're complaining about.

And I knew you wouldn't like the D-line comment. I based it on the fact that we have better ends and you have better tackles. If you think your ends are better than I'm giving credit for, then make that argument. If you think that the tackles are really the key to a line, or that Suh is just that dominant, then make that argument. But if your argument is "Suh good, him smash" then I'm not sold.

It sounds like the real strength of your team is the lines and your QB and RB. To me, that means your running game has to dominate, which could be hard against Mizzou despite what Nevada did to us, and if you do that you must be able to make us pay with play action. Mizzou's strategy will be to let you chip away with the running game, get lots of yards, but stall drives on the occasional short run that puts you in 3rd and long.

This is the key to the game in my opinion. I'm interested in why you think we won't have success against your run defense, considering how Nevada gashed you guys and how we gashed VT.

We can run the ball. Missouri is mediocre against the run. Why do you think it will be hard for us to run against Missouri?

I think you'll get your yards, I just don't necessarily think it will translate into a lot of points. I expect Helu to rush for 150 and average 6 yards a carry, and I expect that your drives will stall out just enough to hold you under 21. If you score more, it's because I've underestimated your pass offense or your rush offense is way better.

Blaine Gabbert may be the best throwing Mizzou QB to ever wear a uniform, but no way in hell is he the most talented QB to wear a Mizzou uniform. I'll eat crow if he passes for 2000 or more and rushes for 1000 or more this year because Brad Smith did it by the time he was a sophomore!

I only wish we had half the talent on those teams as we have had lately. Poor Brad was a one man show most times... <_<

Agreed, and Pinkel should have been chastised severely for trying to turn him into a pocket passer. He didn't manage Smith's career very well at all.

Disagree. Pinkel correctly saw that teams would take away running lanes and force him to pass and he would be ineffective, and that's what happened. You don't say "I'm not going to try and improve this player because he might fail.

I have to go with Brad Smith as the best qb the Tigers had against the Huskers also. Granted I don't make a habit of watching MU but he was a one man crew! Who was it? Corbie Jones? He was alright and caused teams fits and the qb back in the mid to late 70's that beat the Huskers in back to back years? MU has had some pretty good COLLEGE qb's over the years.

I stick with my assessment.

Man after reading that Mizzo breakdown I would have thought that they were the number one team in the nation. That write up reminded me of guys in college who would brag about how hot their girlfriend was, then that girlfriend would come visit and you would realize that everyone has different meanings for the word hot.

When Nebraska says it has the most talented team in its history, it means it's going to win national titles. When Mizzou says that, it means they will make some noise in the conference. This year I expect to win the North and play patsy to Oklahoma or Texas. But in the next couple of years as experience meets talent, I'm hoping we can actually give them a run. We couldn't do that against the best UT and OU teams, but if they have a slightly down year, it's not out of the question.