Greetings from hokie land

Not to sound ungreatful. But that loss at VT ripped my heart out. It's getting old to have opposing fans come and pat us on the head for being such impressive losers. It doesn't matter if the comments are well intended. They start to grind on the nerves after a while.

*pat on the head* *pat on the head* *pat on the head*

Good job Huskers, way to take a loss. Come back soon so we can tear your hearts out with less than 30 seconds to go...OK.

*pat on the head* *pat on the head* *pat on the head*

Sorry, but being a good sport also implies that you don't make these kinds of comments to opposing fans who wanted their team to win the game, not be a good example of how to lose.

Way to completely, totally, absolutely fail to understand what good sportsmanship is all about. :thumbs

:yeah

I think the proper thing to do in this case is to find the guy that wazzed in your weaties, before you posted this, and deal with that.

Well I was mostly referring to pregame. It was nice to be able to talk football with an opposing fan without hearing about how they were going to mop the floor with us.

For away trips, it was nice to be able to go to another teams stadium and not be cursed at or have beer poured down your shirt. I also heard that no hokie bought themselves alcohol that night. Pretty much everything you guys did I'm sure you do win or lose.

btw we do know what that is like. We have seen the Matty Ice 2007 highlights way to many times. We feel your pain too.

Hey Hey, Hey now! What's wrong with Matty Ice? He's going to lead the Dirty Birds to the promised land! God Bless Matt Ryan!

Some notes on sportsmanship……

How can a fan demonstrate this admirable trait.

First be a fan, not a fanatic. Know your football. Nebraska has a great tradition and a lot of other programs have a great tradition as well. If you are visiting with a Virginia Tech fan, you can demonstrate a knowledge and respect for their program with statements such as, “Hey, I love you guys and your lunch pail football. That’s outstanding. Your coaches are excellent and I love your focus on the special teams aspect of the game.”

Make them feel welcome or respect their turf. When going on the road, treat opposing facilities the way you would treat our own back here in Lincoln. If they are at our place, welcome them to the stadium, wish them good luck in the game and tell them about the area so that they know where they can go to get a bite to eat, go shopping or simply have a good time.

Cheer for the Huskers, don’t negative cheer or jeer at the opponents. Definitely refrain from any thought of cheering injuries in any way. The crazy cheering after Kelsay used Oklahoma’s QB for a lawn dart was Philly fan like. Yes, it was a good hit, but the guy was obviously hurt on the play. Not cool.

Lastly, after the game is over, win or lose, shut your big mouth. No one wants to hear you celebrate, especially if it appears to be rubbing it in to the other team’s fans. And no one wants to hear you whine about how your team got screwed on the call.

Oh, and another thing on respect. Dish it out before the results are known. When winning teams start to compliment an opponent too much after the game it can be seen as condescending. Don’t be that guy. Pay your respects before the game and keep your TRAP SHUT afterward.

As for the hoping that a team that beats the Huskers does really well for the rest of the season….well, duh.

We all wish the Hokies a good season. It is completely stupid to cheer against foes whether they beat you or not. What does it say about our schedule if the teams we beat get blasted by everybody else on their schedule. Saying that you want the Huskers foes, like VT, to lose and lose badly, doesn’t demonstrate classless behavior, it just demonstrates that you are stupid. And it doesn’t need to be pointed out that you aren’t stupid. No need to go to the Hokies board and wish them good luck.

and Missouri is something like the Big 12 equilivant of WVU.

Except we have indoor plumbing, cities and teeth.

Unless you go to Desoto, Irontin and a lot of other cities in the southern western part of Missouri

If i would draw a line a little west of G.I. I could say much of the same thing about 1/2 the state of Nebraska.

Nothing cracks me up more than hick smack talk and you have to find the most random hillbilly town to make your point. :clap

Unless you go to Desoto, Irontin and a lot of other cities in the southern western part of Missouri

If i would draw a line a little west of G.I. I could say much of the same thing about 1/2 the state of Nebraska.

Nothing cracks me up more than hick smack talk and you have to find the most random hillbilly town to make your point. :clap

Hey Fro where you gonna watch the game? If we still lived in Omaha you would certainly be welcome at our table. Here's to a well fought, hard hitting game with no injuries, may the best team win.

T_O_B

:cheers:wasted:cheers

Hey Fro where you gonna watch the game? If we still lived in Omaha you would certainly be welcome at our table. Here's to a well fought, hard hitting game with no injuries, may the best team win.

T_O_B

:cheers:wasted:cheers

Thanks for the offer. I would certainly take you up on it. I will probably watch from home. Maybe a few friends over. I am pretty unsure about this game. Just hope its a good one :thumbs

Oh, and another thing on respect. Dish it out before the results are known. When winning teams start to compliment an opponent too much after the game it can be seen as condescending. Don’t be that guy. Pay your respects before the game and keep your TRAP SHUT afterward.

You keep yapping on about this and the more you do, the more you look like a fool. Especially in a post where you speak about "good sportsmanship," this sentiment is absolutely ridiculous. You're basically saying that as the opponent walks off the field at Memorial Stadium and the Husker fans give them a standing ovation, that's condescending. How ridiculous.

Games do not exist in a vacuum, nor do they cease to have relevance days or weeks or even years after they're done. Complimenting a team on their great showing, win or lose, isn't inherently "condescending." Often it's the best way to pay your respects to a worthy opponent.

But I'm curious - when people bring up games from the past, how do you propose the winning team or their fans speak about it, or their opponent? What are they supposed to say? Are we just not supposed to talk about the games we've won, or the great opponents we've vanquished? Are we banned from discussing them forever? How does this work in your scenario?

Thanks IV Hokie - congrats on your win over Miami. That was sweet!

By the way, I enjoyed myself immensely, save for 2 minutes, in your stadium. Your fans have been and continue to be a total class act. I did not encounter one single obnoxious Hokie fan the entire weekend. Hell, I expected to see at least one. But, the only obnoxious fan I met was sitting behind me wearing red.

Please stop by often and let us know how you're doing!

How about this example.

You walk up to a friend and say the following.

"Hey, your a great guy. Matter of fact I think you are much smarter than me, have a better job, live in a nicer home, posess outstanding witt and charm and would be a catch for any woman anywhere in America. That said, I asked your girlfriend out last night. She accepted. Hey, look on the bright side. You are a really great person and I am sure you will find someone else. Besides, you dated this girl for a whole (insert time frame here). Focus on that.

"Good luck in finding another girlfriend. We are all rooting for you."

How would that wash?