Tired of the false NU/Gabbert hype in the media.

As the title says, I am tired of this invented story line. Most (if not all) of the Nebraska fans I know have no animosity towards Blaine Gabbert for his decision to go to Missouri after it became apparent that Nebraska was going to have new coaches. However, it seems like every single story about the MU/NU game tries to make a big point of Gabbert being a former Nebraska commit. (even the local media, like Shatel and Sipple are guilty of this).

WE DON'T CARE. This isn't a Josh Freeman decommit in the middle of the night with a text message situation. Blaine saw the writing on the wall and made what he thought was the best choice for him. Good for him. I think he will be a good qb.

Is it too much to ask to just see game breakdowns and analyze matchups? Maybe even go over the series history or something. Why does the media feel obligated to invent a storyline for games?

(((Can't wait to see how much "Blaine Gabbert . . . the former Nebraska commit . . ." talk goes on during the play by play. <_< )))

said the same thing as you many times.

wish Blaine well in all the games he plays in except against the Huskers.

Dont want him to get hurt, just want NU's defense to get good, clean hits on him every time he drops back to pass or when he decides to run.

just play good, clean, violent, BLACKSHIRT, football

I think it is time to exercise some good old fashioned Husker sportsmanship regards the Grabberts. As for the media not so much. But, it is interesting to see the media develop a story line. To me it is a good story that serves us well. And I am glad that they are talking about the Huskers again in any context. The higher they pump Missouri and the QB the more credit we get if we destroy them.

Personally, I feel that VT is a much tougher team than this Missouri squad. But, we are going to get a chance shortly to prove out.

It is a great story with the cast we have and the guys like Weatherspoon, Gabbert, Alexander and Washington.

WE DON'T CARE. This isn't a Josh Freeman decommit in the middle of the night with a text message situation. Blaine saw the writing on the wall and made what he thought was the best choice for him. Good for him. I think he will be a good qb.

Yet you cared enough to start a thread over it.

It's all fodder and it's all good. When taken in the proper context of course.

Unfortunately, that's how it's going to be. Blaine was a high profile recruit who was committed to us, then he switched to a rival Big 12 north school and is now the starting QB.

Naturally, it creates controversy and stirs emotions when the media writes stories about how he used to be ours, and is now playing for the enemy.

I think Missouri is going to FINALLY find out that they aren't as good as all their hype says they are. I am looking forward to a good old fashioned Nebraska beat down on Missouri. I don't think their offense will be able to hang with our defense. The only thing that could hurt us is if we beat ourselves with turnovers or stupid penalties.

Missouri has played nobody that has a defense...until now. This is going to be a fun game for the Huskers I have a feeling. Nebraska has no pressure on them, Missouri does...they have to prove that they can play someone with a ranked defense.

This will be the perfect game for Nebraska to break the streak against ranked teams on the road. :clap

I think Missouri is going to FINALLY find out that they aren't as good as all their hype says they are. I am looking forward to a good old fashioned Nebraska beat down on Missouri. I don't think their offense will be able to hang with our defense. The only thing that could hurt us is if we beat ourselves with turnovers or stupid penalties.

Missouri has played nobody that has a defense...until now. This is going to be a fun game for the Huskers I have a feeling. Nebraska has no pressure on them, Missouri does...they have to prove that they can play someone with a ranked defense.

This will be the perfect game for Nebraska to break the streak against ranked teams on the road. :clap

Well to be fair, the streak is against teams ranked in the Top 20. We've beaten teams ranked 20 and below. So, no, we still won't break that streak.

Unfortunately, that's how it's going to be. Blaine was a high profile recruit who was committed to us, then he switched to a rival Big 12 north school and is now the starting QB.

Naturally, it creates controversy and stirs emotions when the media writes stories about how he used to be ours, and is now playing for the enemy.

I don't think Husker fans that had to live through the BC years can hold that against him. I, for one, respect that he did what was best for him under the circumstances. If he had been recruited, say by Bo, and came in and just didn't like the fact that he couldn't win a starting job here, then went to Missouri, it would be a different story.

You don't know what BC promised or didn't promise, so I kind of have to cut him some slack there. And after seeing BC's style, I saw plenty that I wouldn't have liked. If you came here under BC, you were going to play solely on what you already had coming in, he didn't really take any time to teach anyone any technique, or even really have contact drills in practice, and he had no problem pointing fingers at everyone but himself and his staff.

Even if a kid comes in here, and wants to play, and sees that he isn't ever going to be good enough to play here, I don't have a problem with them leaving - for another conference. Gabbert's situation with Nebraska was not really like that - the kid has talent. It was kind of ballsy of him to go to Missouri, but my understanding was that is the other school that he was looking at before Nebraska, so in this situation, with Nebraska changing head coaches and systems...then the way BC was bringing in JC and transfers to start, I can see how he could have really been disillusioned here.

That all being said, I am looking forward to our defense going down to Missouri and giving him a really hard day...hopefully they will make him wonder if he made the right choice. :clap

I don't think Husker fans that had to live through the BC years can hold that against him. I, for one, respect that he did what was best for him under the circumstances. If he had been recruited, say by Bo, and came in and just didn't like the fact that he couldn't win a starting job here, then went to Missouri, it would be a different story.

You don't know what BC promised or didn't promise, so I kind of have to cut him some slack there. And after seeing BC's style, I saw plenty that I wouldn't have liked. If you came here under BC, you were going to play solely on what you already had coming in, he didn't really take any time to teach anyone any technique, or even really have contact drills in practice, and he had no problem pointing fingers at everyone but himself and his staff.

Even if a kid comes in here, and wants to play, and sees that he isn't ever going to be good enough to play here, I don't have a problem with them leaving - for another conference. Gabbert's situation with Nebraska was not really like that - the kid has talent. It was kind of ballsy of him to go to Missouri, but my understanding was that is the other school that he was looking at before Nebraska, so in this situation, with Nebraska changing head coaches and systems...then the way BC was bringing in JC and transfers to start, I can see how he could have really been disillusioned here.

That all being said, I am looking forward to our defense going down to Missouri and giving him a really hard day...hopefully they will make him wonder if he made the right choice. :clap

Oh don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you. I have no animosity towards the kid. He did what was best for him, blah blah blah. I actually think we came out better because of it.

I was merely playing devil's advocate and stating possible reasons why the media trumps up this storyline.

I think you misunderstand me. The purpose of the thread was to express displeasure with the media inventing news that as far as I can tell doesn't actually exist. In that sense, I care. In the sense of Gabbert going to Missouri, there is no anger.

Perhaps I should have written it a little more clearly or perhaps you should have read it more carefully.

As the title says, I am tired of this invented story line. Most (if not all) of the Nebraska fans I know have no animosity towards Blaine Gabbert for his decision to go to Missouri after it became apparent that Nebraska was going to have new coaches. However, it seems like every single story about the MU/NU game tries to make a big point of Gabbert being a former Nebraska commit. (even the local media, like Shatel and Sipple are guilty of this).

Is it too much to ask to just see game breakdowns and analyze matchups? Maybe even go over the series history or something. Why does the media feel obligated to invent a storyline for games?

(((Can't wait to see how much "Blaine Gabbert . . . the former Nebraska commit . . ." talk goes on during the play by play. <_< )))

:clap:clap

I think you misunderstand me. The purpose of the thread was to express displeasure with the media inventing news that as far as I can tell doesn't actually exist. In that sense, I care. In the sense of Gabbert going to Missouri, there is no anger.

Perhaps I should have written it a little more clearly or perhaps you should have read it more carefully.

I got your meaning. But who cares? Seriously..... Who Cares? The media has bills to pay and coming up stories such as this is a great way for the "easy" to get all upset and continue to watch and talk about what the media is saying. It's free advertsing for them.

You wrote it the way you got it, and I read it the way you got it.

I got your meaning. But who cares? Seriously..... Who Cares? The media has bills to pay and coming up stories such as this is a great way for the "easy" to get all upset and continue to watch and talk about what the media is saying. It's free advertsing for them.

You wrote it the way you got it, and I read it the way you got it.

Noted. The next time I think I care about something I'll be sure to check with you for approval first.

(looks like I'm not the only one who thought it was a good point though . . .)