Pelini vs Osborne

Now dont take this the wrong way, i am not trying to say Pelini should even be compared with Tom Osborne. Pelini needs to win a few championships and be consistent for a long time to even to be mentioned in the same sentence with Dr. Osborne.

However one thing that Pelini seems to be doing, that we have not seen since 90's, is get the most out of his players. Pelini will not let his players be satified with there performance no matter how good they are.

Just look at Suh.......if #93 came out this season and preformed like he did last year, no one would have said anything. In fact everyone would probably be happy and he would be drafted in the top 10. But.............

Pelini will not let Suh settle for being really good, Pelini is pushing Suh to be one of the best DL every at NU.

Osborne did the same thing with his players, he got all he could out of them. Pelini and Osborne have two completely different personallities but they both get all they can out of there players.

Personally i think for a college coach that is one of the most important traits a coach can have, motivate your players to be better.

What does everyone else think about this.

90s teams had that defenase PLUS a top 10 LEGIT offense.

Im not comparing this team to the 90's teams, cause those 90's teams were ridiculous.

My point is that Pelini seems to be getting everything he can out of his players he is motivating them to play better every week. Osborne did the same thing but in a different way.

Pelini knows defense...but there is still some work to be done on this offense. Watson needs to step it up a bit, I think some of the play calling in the first half was pretty questionable. I have been a huge supporter of Watson, but I think he needs to work on this offensive scheme a little more, something isn't right.

Pelini knows defense...but there is still some work to be done on this offense. Watson needs to step it up a bit, I think some of the play calling in the first half was pretty questionable. I have been a huge supporter of Watson, but I think he needs to work on this offensive scheme a little more, something isn't right.

I appreciate everything Shawn Watson has done for the offense (& I really mean that) but if the playcalling doesn't get better, then I think its time for NU & Watson to part ways at the end of the season.

what really stands out to me as how we are not giving up. Like the gator bowl his teams are coming out of the locker room being down 12 points and finding a way to win. I love that. Back in the TO days, we rarely won if getting behind early or in the 4th quarter. these guys do not give up no matter what.

:yeah

I appreciate everything Shawn Watson has done for the offense (& I really mean that) but if the playcalling doesn't get better, then I think its time for NU & Watson to part ways at the end of the season.

I don't want us to lose Watson but to each his own I guess.

Is he getting it out of the Offense? Is that all they got?

He isn't just a DC anymore, He is now a Head Coach. He is responsible for getting the best out of every player on the Team. Not just the Defense. It is Bo's responsibilty to fix the OL penalty problems now. If Cotton and Watson can't get it done, than Bo needs to step in and either find someone on the staff who can or do it himself.

If Cotton can't get this fixed. Bo will need to look for a new OL Coach if he wants to ever Challenge for a National Championship.

It wasn't until after the Missouri game last year that Watson got the Huskers going on offense. Look on the bright side. He isn't on anyones short list as a head coach after last night! Let everybody load the box with 8 men. Bring in a double tight end formation with a fullback and power it at them. I thought we'd see that last night but it didn't happen until the final drive. Strange indeed. It reminded me of Callahan's play calling. Throw all night in a driving rain with a shakey qb while you have the Big 12's leading rusher.

Is he getting it out of the Offense? Is that all they got?

He isn't just a DC anymore, He is now a Head Coach. He is responsible for getting the best out of every player on the Team. Not just the Defense. It is Bo's responsibilty to fix the OL penalty problems now. If Cotton and Watson can't get it done, than Bo needs to step in and either find someone on the staff who can or do it himself.

If Cotton can't get this fixed. Bo will need to look for a new OL Coach if he wants to ever Challenge for a National Championship.

As I stated in another thread, I am of the opinion it is the play calling more than anything. Look at what happened last night on the final drive, we ran it up the gut and down their throats with ease. Were as most of the game, we were so hell bent on passing or running outside, we just kept waisting downs like crazy. In the VT game the same thing, we would run it right through them until inside the 20yd line and then we tried to pass all the time and kept settling for field goals. It was like we forgot what kept getting us into the redzone (don't know about you, but it was driving me nuts). Yes the kids have to execute, but some consistantcy in play calling would be very nice. It looks like to me, that our O line can run the ball up the middle quite well when given the chance.

Ok, back on topic, I agree that Pelini seems to know how to motivate these kids very well. He doesn't even have his recruites yet really and look at what he is doing. Once he starts getting his players in the system year in and year out, watch out people. By no means is he even in the same league as Dr. Tom yet, but I like to hope that Pelini is here to stay.

Also goes to show just how bad Clownahan really was as a coach (sorry to bring him up again). Alot of these kids were his and all they needed was a real coach and leader.

I think he is getting all they have out of everyone on the team.

No matter how good we have looked, no matter how well or bad we have played, we have been less talented than the folks at Va Tech and Missouri.

Heart dedication and loyalty were the key factors in both.

When this coach has the level of talent of a top ten program, oh my god look out. I still say our talent level is around 17-20. He has done far more with far less than others.

I have watched Nebraska football since the early 60's. The only player that I can remember that I thought was the same as Suh is Rich Glover. Constant motor, drive, determination, freakish talent. The difference is Suh is 80 pounds bigger. He is currently in my mind the best defensive that has ever played at Nebraska. I do not ever remember a single player totally disrupting a very good team like he has. Monster of the midway. We are so fortunate that he came back. I knew he was good, but Bo has made him a monster and very wealthy man.

what really stands out to me as how we are not giving up. Like the gator bowl his teams are coming out of the locker room being down 12 points and finding a way to win. I love that. Back in the TO days, we rarely won if getting behind early or in the 4th quarter. these guys do not give up no matter what.

That's the thing I talk about when talking about Pelini's teams. The come from behind victories. I love the fight in his teams.

:moreinteresting