Nebraska's Defense

I apologize if there is another topic on this, but I didn't see one on the first page.

I was extremely impressed with the way our defense played last night. We dominated and kept ourselves in the game, then put the team in the position to win it. Great play by the D-Line, great play by the secondary, and we probably should have had more picks than we did. I am extremely happy with how we've developed.

So my question or thought is how you re-evaluate the year and the games we play in light of last night's performance. The only game I think will be a problem is Oklahoma, and even that doesn't scare me as much as it used to.

I feel good things ahead of us.

They are good-really good.

The main question that I have is how the secondary will do against a really strong passing team. They got burned once last night by what looked like little more than a lob down the middle of the field, but between the rain & Suh, that was the extent of the deep game that they saw.

Suh dropped one blocked pass that was probably a pick in any other weather. Two ints & a forced fumble would have been an awesome stat to have under his belt. There were several other int chances for our D, but the weather obviously made it pretty tough for anyone to catch anything.

We have a few things to worry about after last night, but I can't see our D being one of them.

They are good-really good.

The main question that I have is how the secondary will do against a really strong passing team. They got burned once last night by what looked like little more than a lob down the middle of the field, but between the rain & Suh, that was the extent of the deep game that they saw.

Suh dropped one blocked pass that was probably a pick in any other weather. Two ints & a forced fumble would have been an awesome stat to have under his belt. There were several other int chances for our D, but the weather obviously made it pretty tough for anyone to catch anything.

We have a few things to worry about after last night, but I can't see our D being one of them.

The play where they got burned the announcers said the guy who was supposed to be in the secondary fell.

I think this defense could end up being in the top five in every stat in a few years, depending on one thing...another dominant DT. This is why I have been wanting either Rome or Heimuli to commit so damn bad. We have the ends in Ankrah, Meredith and Williams. We have the LB's in Compton, Fisher, Whaley, Martin and Williams. We have the DB's in Dennard, Green, Washington, Smith, Osborne, Middleton. At DT we already have Crick, Steinkhuler,Randall, Pensick and Moore. Crick has stepped up in a huge way this year, but thats second fiddle to Suh, can he be a dominant DT? I think Steinkhuler has the potential to be dominant but could take longer than I anticipated. If we can get just one dominant DT in this class I think the sky is the limit.

This is a BCS Championship defense and kicking game, to bad the vaunted Watson offense is no where near that level. This team has to get better offensively and in the return game, but the blackshirts and the kickers are top notch. This team should be undefeated with 2 road victories over ranked teams and ranked in the top 10, having earned a ranking that UT has been given, having yet to play any ranked teams.

What I was impressed with was the tackling. Very few missed tackles, missed assignments on Thursday and they were hitting HARD. The defense is starting to resemble what we have grown up knowing as the Blackshirts.

Is it just me or is there a lot of poor tackling early in the games? There always seems to be someone getting to the ball carry-er but they just hit them and fall eventually the 2nd or third defender wraps him up. Later in the game you do see a lot of great tackles but it doesn't seem consistent early in any given game.

no, the tackling is not a problem...just remember how bad of tacklers we were w/ Mckoen, Shanly, Ruud...man those were some piss poor tacklers...fortunately tackling well is a taught and learned behavior that has been rectified by the new coaches

we are good tacklers now