We are now second in scoring defense

Twodocs

I thought i might share my thoughts with you that i had when i read this. their in parenthases.

LAWRENCE | We know less now than we did at the beginning of last week. (oh really?)

Rain ruined the Nebraska-Missouri clash Thursday night (Huh?). And Saturday afternoon, the Iowa State Cyclones revealed just how vulnerable the Kansas Jayhawks are(lolz).

There is no leader in the Big 12 North race(are you f****ing kidding me?).

Sure, the Cornhuskers and Jayhawks sit atop the North standings at 1-0, and the conversation this week is likely to center on hyping a collision between the KU offense and the Nebraska defense in mid-November (i agree).

Blackshirts vs. Bluebirds, power vs. finesse, Reesing vs. Suh will be promoted as David vs. Goliath . Kansas’ undersized quarterback, Todd Reesing, will attempt to slay Nebraska’s relentless defensive tackle, Ndamukong Suh (....really?).

The problem with all of the Nebraska-Kansas hype is I don’t think the game will decide the Big 12 North (and you just lost credibility). This thing isn’t getting decided until the final weekend, and right now I can’t see a favorite (then you must be blind).

Seriously, the Cyclones had a receiver streaking wide open for the game-winning touchdown on Saturday. To no one’s real surprise, quarterback Austen Arnaud overthrew his receiver on fourth down in the final seconds.

Kansas won 41-36 over an Iowa State squad that scored three and 23 points in its two previous games against BCS competition. Arnaud threw for 293 yards and two touchdowns and Iowa State ran for 219 yards against the Hawks( :clap:laughpound ).

I’m sure the Iowa State offense is improving, but I can’t erase the memory of how mediocre the Cyclones’ passing game looked a week ago inside Arrowhead Stadium and matched against a suspect Kansas State defense.

No. Arnaud looked good because the Kansas D played bad ( i have been preaching this now for awhile).

“I knew in April they were going to be exposed,” Kansas coach Mark Mangino said of his defense. “You all found out today.”(good job at saving face fatty, you fail)

Well, that settles it. Iowa State put 36 on the board at Memorial Stadium. Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Texas and Missouri are all capable of surpassing the Cyclones’ output (understatment).

Can Reesing, Kerry Meier and Dezmon Briscoe hang 40-plus points on the scoreboard every week in conference play? (did you watch them last year? like at all?)

Man, that’s going to be tough. And Reesing, Meier and Briscoe are really good, the best fast-break trio at Kansas since Rush, Chalmers and Robinson led the Jayhawks to a basketball national title. (this sentance is a fail)

Reesing completed 37 of 49 passes for 442 yards and four TDs Saturday. He found Meier a school-record 16 times for 142 yards and two scores. Briscoe snagged 12 balls for 186 yards and two TDs, including a brilliant, falling 46-yarder.(that it was)

Let’s hope Mangino is ready to channel his inner Mike Leach. It might take 60 points for Kansas to compete with Texas and beat Oklahoma, Tech and Mizzou.( Magino has no inner leach and there is no competing with those schools. except Misery)

That doesn’t mean I’m counting out the Jayhawks.(i'm sorry you just put them down, and now you say you aren't counting them out????)

The national media are overreacting to Nebraska’s victory over the Tigers.

Beyond Suh, the Huskers showed me nothing on Thursday(another loss of Credibility). If Bo Pelini insists on letting offensive coordinator Shawn Watson implement the Bill Callahan, pass-first offense, Nebraska is going to get smacked twice — against Tech and Oklahoma — before it ever gets to Lawrence.( ibeleive this man is didn't watch the game much we ran our fair share.)

The Huskers, 4-1, got lucky in Columbia. They were bailed out by the weather ( :laughpound really? seriously how?), Blaine Gabbert’s injured right ankle and Mizzou’s horizontal running game. Nebraska has yet to prove it is better than the Tigers or the Jayhawks. (um i'm sorry we beat the tigers, i don't know if you caught the final score but yea 27 to 12, there in and by that score we are better.)

Again, I can’t see a Big 12 North favorite. I say don’t bury the Tigers.( but lets bury what little credibility you have left with one more dumb comment)

My money is on a three-way tie at the top of the Big 12 North, with Kansas, Nebraska and Missouri all finishing at 5-3. (and you just buried your self)

What would that say about the North? (oh please tell me :clap )

It would tell us what we already know. It continues to lose ground to the South( :o ). There’s just too much money and fertile recruiting territory in Texas for the Northerners to keep up. Also, there seems to be a lack of coaching imagination in the North.( :bs: )

When you don’t have the resources, you try to use your players in creative ways that your opposition is not. Tom Osborne and Bill Snyder were offensive innovators(well no **** shurlcok). Watching Nebraska try to implement a form of the spread with a bunch of mediocre receivers and an average quarterback is frustrating.(I guess he would know all about Mediocre i mean look at this article)

Mangino and Gary Pinkel are both creative risk-takers(and have no big XII titles to show for it). If things play out this season the way I suspect(prolly not), I hope they both spend the offseason designing new wrinkles to their offensive and defensive strategies (because there current ones suck terribly).

When you don’t have the resources, you try to use your players in creative ways that your opposition is not. Tom Osborne and Bill Snyder were offensive innovators. Watching Nebraska try to implement a form of the spread with a bunch of mediocre receivers and an average quarterback is frustrating.

This very thought still creeps into my thought process from time to time. <_<

The KC media is full of excuses this weekend. First Whitlock's latest excretion, and now Jack Harry just said on Sports Sunday that Mizzou lost ONLY because Gabbert got his ankle banged up. I don't know if they actually believe this sh#t, or if they feel compelled to please the homers.

How can a team hold the opposition to under 250 total yds and 12 points, force 3 turnovers, and win the game by a margin of 15 points, yet still not prove itself to be the superior team? Are 4 TDs in the 4th qtr not decisive enough for these morons?

Say what you will about the offense's shortcomings so far this year, but there's no way you can possibly look at the results of that game and not come to the conclusion that Mizzou just flat-out got outplayed.

I know it's sort of getting picky, and I hate to argue with the NCAA stats, but....

The Huskers defense has only given up 7.6 points per game not 8 points per game. I know that doesn't change our #2 ranking in scoring defense. I just want to be acurate. We (as a team) have given up 40 total points, but 2 points came on a safety. The defense did not give up those 2 points.

Whitlock is clueless.

We won because of rain? While I didn't see it happening coming in the rain hurt us more. We had more trouble handling the ball and Mizzou's biggest play came when Prince slipped.

What if Blaine didn't have a bum ankle? Well what if we didn't drop several picks including one or two that likely go to the house?

Neb was the better team.

I wish I had heeded the advice and not read that article....

I never imagined Mizzou fans would try to blame the rain for losing, and he outright says that Mizzou is better and lost only because of the rain. Christ almighty. I think we would have beat them worse without rain. The one long play they had was somewhat caused by the slick field (Prince falling down) and how much field position and turnovers did we lose because of muffing punts (which hadn't been a problem yet?)

I wish I had heeded the advice and not read that article....

I never imagined Mizzou fans would try to blame the rain for losing, and he outright says that Mizzou is better and lost only because of the rain. Christ almighty. I think we would have beat them worse without rain. The one long play they had was somewhat caused by the slick field (Prince falling down) and how much field position and turnovers did we lose because of muffing punts (which hadn't been a problem yet?)

I was in the stadium on Thursday, and I will argue the Huskers were effected by the rain much worse than the Tigers. IMO, NU "names their score" in dry conditions.

People can be critical all they want, and deservedly so, trying to throw the football that much in those conditions was silly. However, the plays were there. NU had receivers open, and the Mizzou defensive scheme allowed for the passing game to work. They just didn't convert.

Secondly, Gabbert getting hurt had nothing to do with the weather.

lastly, Jason Whitlock knows nothing about college football. he proves it time and time again. His assertion that Iowa State somehow has a better offense than Nebraska illustrates his stupidity.

Sipple quoting Whitlock in Monmday LJS column!

"— Jason Whitlock of The Kansas City Star made a great point Thursday night as he watched Nebraska and Missouri struggle with ballhandling issues in a driving rain. Why should we expect otherwise when players across the country spend so much time in multi-million-dollar indoor practice facilities designed in large part to impress recruits?"

Reach Steven M. Sipple at 473-7440 or ssipple@journalstar.com.

http://huskerextra.com/articles/2009/10/12...7a167333496.txt

That is one embarrassing article. The rain hurt us more and I was surprised by that. I wonder what this same douche said back in 03 when missouri rallied to score 27 in the 4th to win that game. "Missouri clearly showed it was the better team through 4 quarters...."

After reading that Mangino quote...ku is toast. Coach just called out his defense as a fraud. We'll see how they respond. I'm betting not well. They play inspired but when things start going bad, they'll throw in the towel..."coach is right, we suck." We'll see.

It's very clear that this guy is just pissed at losing. He's just trying to remove the sting. Too bad he's actually in charge of writing newspaper articles cause he is making a fool of himself. I mean gee whiz the defense shut down missouri and all that hype they brought into the game.

I still can't believe pinkel and mangino are his star coaches of the north. Newsflash!!!! Nebraska went 9-4 in their coach's first season and tied with missouri from the north while soundly beating kansas. They won every game they were favored in.

And what's this lack of imagination talk? Sigh. I'm just going to leave that alone.

I actually like Whitlock and agree with a lot he's said. It's easy for me to throw the blinders on and say "Nebraska is the best in the North!"...but our offense has played like crap in our games against MU and VT. Don't get me wrong, the defense is awesome and our comeback against MU in the fourth quarter was great to watch. But why the heck haven't we been playing like we did in the fourth quarter in EVERY quarter? Lee's been missing his receivers, penalties are killing us, we're didn't use our strength at running back...you can blame a lot of it on the rain, but that game was UGLY. If we want to compete against top 10 teams we can't be looking like that on offense.

I'm just saying we have a lot of room to improve

Well in Lee's defense the weather was bad and he had harrassment in the tech game so he's a pocket passer unlike ganz who seemed to get more comfortable and accurate on the move.

I still see it as a long shot for us to LOSE the north. Missouri needs us to lose 3 times! (don't see missouri beating Texas and Ok st). KU has to beat us, OU, Texas, TT and Missouri (and colorado). Good luck to that. What games are left that we won't be favored in? Maybe Oklahoma depending on what happens from now till then. Our offense has issues but our schedule is a huge advantage to us now that missouri is 2 games down to us (we hold the tie breaker)