Rank the BIG XII Coaches.

Mack Brown is tough to rank. On one hand, his winning percentage is phenomenal. On the other hand, for all the games he wins it rarely translates to anything meaningful (conference championships, national championships, etc.). Take this year for instance. Texass hands down has the best team in the Big 12 talent wise. However, they let lowly Wyoming hang with them for half a game. They let lowly Colorado hang with them for nearly 3 quarters. He just seems to do less with more. He's able to beat up on the teams where Texas has a significant talent advantage. However, he seems to lose the games where the other team has similar talent. He's a great recruiter, but his coaching seems lacking.

Junior I have seen your past posts in this thread that I've agreed with except for the bold as shown above. Are you saying that beating a USC team that was going for a third National Title in 3 years as nothing meaningful? That USC team had Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, LenDale White, Dwayne Jarrett and everybody was predicting USC to win another NC title.

You can say that Texas was having a tough time against Wyoming but yet our 94' team struggled w/ Wyoming too....does that make our 94' team a bad team. Teams have off days too like Nebraska did against Iowa State this year......I still can't believe we lost that game and I was there ugh lol.

Here is how I rank the Big 12 Coaches

1. Mack Brown - has completely dominated OU the past 4 of 5 years and have won big bowl games. Mack Brown has had 10+ wins since 2001 and have won 5 straight bowl games and 1 NC title against a really good USC team.

2. Bob Stoops - What can I say Bob Stoops was a miracle get for OU and has bounced that program back into the National Spot light year after year. One reason why I didn't put Stoops at #1 is because he has struggled to beat Texas in the past 5 years lossing 4 and even having one of the best QB's he's coached at OU with Sam Bradford they still got beat by OU on a neutral site by 10. Stoops struggles in big games and has only won 1 bowl game in the past 5 years.

3. Mike Leach

4. Gary Pinkel - He has brought Mizzou into the spotlight and Mizzou is a better team because of Gary....but this year isn't looking too good.....could be because of the new QB and the loss of Daniel, Maclin, Coffman.

5. Bo Pelini - I'm a huge Bo supporter and what he did last year w/ our defense was an eye opener and got a lot of people behind Bo mainly because of what that Defense was like in 07' and to turn that around within 8-9 months if that is just incredible. The way our defense is running year is a good sign of what Nebraska will be like down the road under Bo but the struggles on Offense has caught a lot of people off guard.....maybe we need to start Green at QB and everything will be alright....ok that last part I was joking.....a little bit.

6. Mike Gundy

7. Mark Mangino - I'm not sold on him yet because Kansas doesn't really have a tough non conference opponents but it doesn't mean that his team isn't that good either. KU has a really good offense with lots of weapons but their defense has struggled for years.

8. Bill Synder - has done a lot to a Kansas State team who has been a laughing stock before 1989. Turn that program around to boost that team into the National Spotlight and I for one got to see them work OU in the Big 12 title game in 03'. I think Bill is getting old and wore out and I almost died laughing when Louisiana-Lafayette beat them but yet they are leading the Norh 3-0 WTF. Hire Bill Synder will not help KSU out in the long run.

9. Paul Rhodes - This guy has surprised me for it only being his first year at ISU. He shocked everybody in Husker nation with a huge win but then again anybody that coughs up 8 turnovers will more than likely loss that game. ISU has hung on at the very end against KU and K-State and remember this is the same team that went 5-19 under Gene Chizik and are only one win away from reaching 5 wins in one season than 5 wins in two seasons. This might be the guy to get ISU back where they once were a few years ago.

10. Art Biles

11. Mike Sherman

12. Dan Hawkins - what a laughing stock this coach is

It's not just how they played Wyoming. CU hung around for basically 3 quarters with them this year. If there was ever a year for Texas to completely thrash OU, it was this year. Yet, they barely survived that game. The year they beat USC and won the NC had more to do with Vince Young as the QB despite Brown being his coach. Brown has one lone Big 12 Championship. Stoops has 6. Year in and year out, Mack Brown recruits in National Championship caliber talent. Yet with that talent, he's managed just one conference title. The way I look at it this, put Mack Brown as a coach for KState and see what his results look like. You have Mangino as 7th and Brown as 1st. I'd say the situation is very similar from when Mangino took over KU as to when Brown took over North Carolina. Mangino is poised over a 10 year stretch to have a better winning percentage at KU than Brown had in his 10 year stretch at North Carolina. Mack Brown is a much better recruiter than he is coach.

What baffles me is this Orgasm so many Husker fans have over this old fart Bill Snyder. The coach that "Almost Did it." The coach that brought a program to the top of mediocrity and watched it slip back down when he left. I see several of you rank him ahead of people like Mack Brown and Bob Stoops, coaches who have actually done something we call "Win National Championships" "Win Conference Championships" and "Go to BCS Bowls." While I might pick Bo Pelini because I'm extremely biased toward Nebraska, His defenses have actually won conference and national titles and I expect him to do the same here soon and I love his personality. Now I know old Bill Snyder won a BIG XII Championship out of sheer luck and poor play by a superior team but that just doesn't impress me very much. I have no love of Kansas State and he epitomizes them.

I still think he's a washed up hack.. He's got some time to prove me wrong. If he does. More power to him.

While I highly doubt it, he may turn out to be a washed out ex football legend.

But a hack he has never been. Just saying that shows your lack of knowledge of football history.

I hold him in high esteem because he took arguably the WORST team in college football and made them a VERY respectable football program.

http://www.kstatesports.com/ViewArticle.db...mp;ATCLID=20086

just a little excerpt from his story:

The skeptics had seen it all before as administration after administration trotted out a new head coach - 14 in all with an average tenure of just under four years and an average winning percentage of .243 (137-445-18) between Lynn “Pappy” Waldorf’s 1934 Big Six championship team and Snyder’s arrival in Manhattan - promising again and again that this time it would be different. But it never was.

And in 1988 it appeared that it never could be. When Snyder stepped to the podium to address the media as the Wildcats’ newest head coach, Kansas State had just suffered through its second straight winless season.

But the college football world was about to be set squarely on its ear as what unfolded over the next decade and a half, according to many experts, would be the greatest turnaround in college football history

those who lived through the snyder rebuild of KSU just shake our heads at those who have no frikken idea how well this guy can coach.

you can have an open mind and read it yourself or you can choose to not know what you are talking about.

your choice.

:dumdum

Taking into account coaching capability, coaching talent, teaching methods, strategy, content of charechter, attitude toward players, attitude players have for coach. Ranking the Big 12 coaches...

12. Mike Leach

11. Dan Hawkins

10. Gary Pinkel

9. Bill Snyder

8. Mike Sherman

7. Art Briles

6. Paul Rhodes

5. Mike Gundy

4. Mark Mangino

3. Bob Stoops

2. Mack Brown

1. BO PELINI Yes I'm biased. VERY VERY biased.

Who is Art Briles...???

Bill Snyder is one of the best college coaches of all time, period.

If he had the talent that we had all those years, he would have cleaned Osbornes clock on a regular basis. I love Tom and he is a great coach, but Coach Snyder did more with less than any other coach that I can think of.

Respect has been earned, he is one of Tom's close friends. They have a mutual respect and we should respect him for what he did for football and Kansas State. Not bad mouth him for any reason. You may not like their fans, but to dislike a man for doing a fantastic job is wrong.

I put him at the top of the list for coaching. He knows more about coaching than all the others combined.

Most of the best ones came from him anyway.

He is leading the Big 12 North, and our beloved coach has us circiling the bottom of the barrel.

Reality

1. Snyder

2. Brown

3. Mangino

4. Stoops all though he has never won a thing with his own recruits.

5. Gundy

6. Rhoades, does a lot with nothing

7. Not real impressed with his head coaching job, DC yes, but it appears he has a long ways to go to get to the levels above him.

I have to agree with clone on synder. Sorry but what he did to a dead program is remarkable. He brought it well past mediocre. They were respectable and a team to circle on your schedule for years.

Now clone I don't really remember all that was said and don't feel like reading it all again but if the point of this thread was to rate the coaches on what they have done as head coach than you are correct that pelini isn't very high. I went back and forth because I'm judging him by overall performance and I probably can't do that because I'm not as familiar with other coaches' full careers in this league.

But because of what I see in Bo, I feel like he is to be ranked highly.

I still say Mack Brown underachieves with all that talent. I realize he has done a great job but switching to the big 12 really helped them and they have one NT to show for it and in the past would continue to find ways to lose games they shouldn't have. Probably the more accurate truth is that Texas was a team learning how to win consistently at a high level and I do see that starting to happen. We'll see how the years play out.

I've already laid out the rest and it's only my opinion so I guess I don't know how to "play".

To call Bill Snyder a hack shows one to have little insight into the game and makes me just skip their posts from here on out, less we forget the last team to win the Big 12 out of the North is his K-State team.

I think that just says more about how much the Big 12 North sucks in comparison to the Big 12 South. We're like the Big 10 and they are like the SEC. :bang