Bo Pelini: Great Motivator, Bad Coach?

Bo Pelini has always been regarded as a defensive guru. I believe that defense is more about will and desire and heart than executing. Pelini has the ability to get in people's faces and light a fire under your a$$ which allows him to be a great defensive coach. HOWEVER, I really question how great of a HEAD coach he is and will ever be because he IMO, does not know how to coach, only motivate. He does not know what goes on on the offensive side of the ball and Im not even sure if he knows the intricacies and techniques needed to coach an entire team. Im really starting to wonder if he is the right hire and how long he will be here for....that is unless he starts learning from Dr. Tom all day every day ASAP.

You need to sleep this one off.

Bo Pelini has always been regarded as a defensive guru. I believe that defense is more about will and desire and heart than executing. Pelini has the ability to get in people's faces and light a fire under your a$$ which allows him to be a great defensive coach. HOWEVER, I really question how great of a HEAD coach he is and will ever be because he IMO, does not know how to coach, only motivate. He does not know what goes on on the offensive side of the ball and Im not even sure if he knows the intricacies and techniques needed to coach an entire team. Im really starting to wonder if he is the right hire and how long he will be here for....that is unless he starts learning from Dr. Tom all day every day ASAP.

You sir, are a retard :dis

Edited: Evidently you have failed to read the board rulz, so your warning level has increaased accordingly. Even though you may not agree with someone else's post please do not resort to name calling. Thank you.

Rawhide

I'll have to echo the "sleep it off" crowd. I don't think that Pelini is our problem. Our problem is on the offensive side of the ball, and I think Bo is going to start imposing his presence there.

I didn't formulate my opinions overnight or by one bad performance. I've always had a queasy feeling in my gut about our OC, but I was willing to give him more chances to prove what he was. How many more chances is he supposed to get? Okay, let's say we go kick the crap out of a mediocre team next weekend. Should that suddenly vindicate Watson? The guy hasn't proven that he can put together a system that will score points against good teams. He's just frankly a bad play-caller, and it is hidden against the crappy teams and gets exposed against the better ones. Don't give me the inferior personnel argument either, because those calls are just BAD. This offense is beyond making tweaks here and there. Its philosophy is core-rotten.

Now, as for Lee.... I can say the same thing. He looks good against a mediocre team and not good against a better defense. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, based upon his performance in the waning minutes at Missouri, but I've made up my mind. Bad play-calling aside, he makes bad decisions when he has the football. Chances are he will have a wonderful day next week and look like he's Joe Montana, but against who? Do you want to keep continuing the pattern of "up one week and down the next" or do something different?

There are many of you that seem very willing to sacrifice our chances next year for the chance that we might win an extra game with Lee at the helm this year. Is that what you really want? We've burned the redshirt on our future QB. The current QB isn't getting the job done. Why not make the switch and get the new guy the experience that will make him a better quarterback when he takes over next year anyway? (You surely didn't think for a minute that Zac Lee is going to beat Cody Green out as starter next year, did you?) Yeah, we could lose an extra game this year for the new guy, but so what?

Pelini? Are you serious? ^----- THERE is your problem.

You gotta be kidding.... :bs:

pelini needs to stop ripping the refs a&&es after every close play, relax and maybe coach his kids up, not bust a vein in his forehead. it pesses me off. you dont see top of the line headcoaches doing this five plus times a game. he needs to be more professional..

I do agree with Pelini needing to settle down and coach his kids, but I disagree that we never see other coaches consistently riding refs. Stoops and Brown are in the ref's ear the whole game.

Besides, the officials were HORRIBLE yesterday. Someone needs to yell at those guys.

I posted in another thread that I think Bo needs to take the reins of the entire program, as it has looked to me from the beginning that Watson is the HC of the offense. Granted any OC under Bo will have most of the responsibility for the offense, but the entire team, including the offense, needs to have the head coach's personality. The offensive line needs to play mean and nasty like our defensive line. Aggressive yet disciplined. I see neither on the OL. If Watson moves on to a head coaching position, so be it. Then Bo brings in who he wants and can be the head coach of the entire team.

I'll add yet another reason this entire thread is moronic. Look at Kirk Ferentz over at Iowa. A few seasons ago his offensive line gave up more sacks than anyone in the country. He was on the hot seat along with his coordinator. But they built the line back up, got healthy, and now look at them. They're en route to win the Big 10.

Bo Pelini is a great coach. He's also a young head coach. The same mouthbreathers that would dare to want him replaced regardless of what happens this season need to take a pill and stop calling themselves fans. They're not intelligent enough, or long sighted enough, to be fans of this sport. Pelini is in his second year after a virtual holocaust of Nebraska football. He needs at least four seasons before we can judge the direction of the remodeled program. The fact that someone would even have the audacity to raise a topic like this is a testament to the despicable 'win now' culture we live in. The expectations are ludicrous.

Pelini's MO is defense. Now as a head coach when the season winds down he'll have some decisions to make if things don't rapidly improve.

You think you have it bad, i half to face all the dumbass iowa hawkey fans on monday gloating about how awsome there team is. While i wear my husker gear and hold my head high.

yup.

You think you have it bad?

I had the reverse for about thirty years.

not so much lately.

although I have gotten to hear how over-rated the hawks are, I expect that talk to quiet down some now.

for decades, the huskers at work were always telling me how bad my teams suck compared to the awesome huskers.

while true...

it does get old.

it sucks being on the other side of that....

doesn't it?

BTW- the hawks will lose a couple of games and you'll be able to relax.

just hope for a miraculous bowl matchup- ia vs ne. :horns2

then the huskers can show 'em. ;)

Bo needs to learn control. I think his only flaw so far.

Bo needs to learn to recruit and make it a major priority, day in and day out.

We need a recruiting coordinator. A good one.

Bottom line we need talent. We have for years. We need talent, not full classes. Currently we are not getting full classes and our talent is below most top teams.

Bo is doing fine in my mind, if he learns to control his anger during the game and during interviews. He is hurting recruiting with his actions on National TV.

You think you have it bad, i half to face all the dumbass iowa hawkey fans on monday gloating about how awsome there team is. While i wear my husker gear and hold my head high.

yup.

You think you have it bad?

I had the reverse for about thirty years.

not so much lately.

although I have gotten to hear how over-rated the hawks are, I expect that talk to quiet down some now.

for decades, the huskers at work were always telling me how bad my teams suck compared to the awesome huskers.

while true...

it does get old.

it sucks being on the other side of that....

doesn't it?

BTW- the hawks will lose a couple of games and you'll be able to relax.

just hope for a miraculous bowl matchup- ia vs ne. :horns2

then the huskers can show 'em. ;)

I guess thats the difference with me. When the huskers win, i dont gloat. Ive been to some cyclone games and there kinda fun. I can only imagine what ahusker game is like. I dont really mind the fact that the hawkeys are winning, just the dam cockyness of there fans is enought to make me sick.

Bo needs to learn control. I think his only flaw so far.

Bo needs to learn to recruit and make it a major priority, day in and day out.

We need a recruiting coordinator. A good one.

Bottom line we need talent. We have for years. We need talent, not full classes. Currently we are not getting full classes and our talent is below most top teams.

Bo is doing fine in my mind, if he learns to control his anger during the game and during interviews. He is hurting recruiting with his actions on National TV.

I agree with your post about recruiting and the coordinator.

Personally I see the majority of coaches blowing their stack on the refs. It really doesn't bother me.

Whining about the refs is for losers. There were as many non-calls in the game yesterday that could have gone against Nebraska as there were Texas Tech.

Pelini needs to start taking some accountability for his un-focused, un-disciplined team and their lack of "execution."

Maybe if you quit running up and down the sidelines with your brother who's as big of a clown as you are, you could coach up your guys and they wouldn't get throttled by 21 in Lincoln by Texas Tech.

COACH 'EM UP, BO.

On your way to a 7-5 season and your head being slid into the chopping block.