Bo Pelini: Great Motivator, Bad Coach?

Bo Pelini has always been regarded as a defensive guru. I believe that defense is more about will and desire and heart than executing. Pelini has the ability to get in people's faces and light a fire under your a$$ which allows him to be a great defensive coach. HOWEVER, I really question how great of a HEAD coach he is and will ever be because he IMO, does not know how to coach, only motivate. He does not know what goes on on the offensive side of the ball and Im not even sure if he knows the intricacies and techniques needed to coach an entire team. Im really starting to wonder if he is the right hire and how long he will be here for....that is unless he starts learning from Dr. Tom all day every day ASAP.

Are you serious!

100%.....what has he done to prove otherwise?

Dude i will not put anything on here to get me banned but let me give you some food for thought.

This is his 2nd year. He was specifically sent here to fix the defense, which he has. Since hes more a D guy then an O guy he has assistant coaches to handle the stuff he doesnt have mastered. Even the great TO had multiple coaches helping him out. Why are you ready to hang him out to dry already. I mean f#*k we were 9-4 last year. 9 and 4 comming off a 5-7 loss season with some of the biggest upseats we have ever had. He took what sh*t calahan had left behind and turned them in to a group of guys who would fight. We didnt win every game but sometimes you dont need to. Sometimes you need to lose. People learn from there mistakes and move on. We just need to get the guys we have motivated and finish out the season the best they can do. Then work on the rest its that simple. Did you forget that even TO had bad seasons, sometimes talent didnt work out. People get hirt, people f#*k up and tet thrown off the team. Jesus man, wheres your husker pride. Pelini isnt god but he has turned this team around 180 from where it was a few years ago. And you wana hang him out because we lose a game. Jesus weve lost plenty of games badly. You think you have it bad, i half to face all the dumbass iowa hawkey fans on monday gloating about how awsome there team is. While i wear my husker gear and hold my head high.

I completely respect your post and applaud you for it. I also feel bad for you having to deal with Iowa fans, I know how bad that can be. Im also gonna say that Im not hanging Pelini out to dry after one bad game. I have had my doubts from the beginning and thought all along that Turner Gill should have been hired because he could have brought back the Nebraska culture that was lacking. I understand that Pelini has turned this team around completely from what Callahan had here but I truely believe that 95% of that is because he is getting the players to play hard. It all comes down to motivating them, not coaching them.

Im just trying to figure out what is gonna change all of a sudden between now and whenever (2, 3, 4, years down the road) that we are gonna start winning and playing solid football. We are the same team as when Callahan was here with just a little better defense. I don't see the long term being much better than it is now or was last season. If you think it will be then please tell me what is going to change to make things different.

Look at the stats for the games that TT lost-- NU out performed both of the defenses of the teams that beat them. TT put up... oh, I cited it in the "Blackshirts" thread... anyway, something like 350 - 60 yards on Texas and 480 some yards on Huston and lost both of those games.

Bo fixed our D and fixed it good...

Pelini is a second year head coach. This is his first head coaching job. He's not going to be a miracle worker overnight, and I think he's done a fantastic job so far. We lost this game not on our defense, but on our offense. It's a result of a lot of factors, not just one - skill players, offensive line play, play calling, penalties, etc. It's not one person or one thing's fault.

Very, very vague statements with no specifics to back it up.

He does not know what goes on on the offensive side of the ball and Im not even sure if he knows the intricacies and techniques needed to coach an entire team.

You're gonna have to be a LOT more specific than that.

He doesn't coach the offense at all. He delegates everything related to the offense to Watson. During practice Pelini only coaches the defense. Watson runs the rest of the show and they all get together for special teams and a final pep talk that goes something like this.....

Bo: "Good practice today, the defense worked great. Watts, how did everything go today?"

Watson: "Practice was great, good work today guys."

Bo: "Great, shower up and we'll see you guys tomorrow."

Obviously this is very vague but true. I know because I have watched SEVERAL practices.

Just watch Bo during the game and tell me how many offensive huddles he is a part of during time outs and in between quarters.

The fact that Bo doesn't work with the offense at all tells me that he does not know what is going on.

Thats how most teams work. I think you forget how much power TO gave to Charlie McBride. Thats why there are assistant coaches and actually makes me feel alot better that Bo is competent enough to know when to weigh in and when not too.

Bo Pelini has always been regarded as a defensive guru. I believe that defense is more about will and desire and heart than executing. Pelini has the ability to get in people's faces and light a fire under your a$$ which allows him to be a great defensive coach. HOWEVER, I really question how great of a HEAD coach he is and will ever be because he IMO, does not know how to coach, only motivate. He does not know what goes on on the offensive side of the ball and Im not even sure if he knows the intricacies and techniques needed to coach an entire team. Im really starting to wonder if he is the right hire and how long he will be here for....that is unless he starts learning from Dr. Tom all day every day ASAP.

You are 100% right...!!!

Are you serious!

This makes me think its the mid 70ies and I'm reading the World Herald's letters to the editor about TO.

T_O_B

:bang:bang:bang

I can see the point to an extent. This is essentially the opposite of Callahan, where he left the defense entirely to someone else. However, I don't necessarily agree that Bo is unfit. I think Watson is trying to outfox himself and has given the entire offensive side of the ball a complex. Lee is now indecisive and afraid to take a chance to make a play. Where the hell does Helu disappear to for chunks at a time? And why the hell is the o-line incurring so many damn false starts? Is it 2005?

It is what it is and we are where we are. We are not a very good football team and haven't been for several years. Bo is neither a messiah or evil incarnate. But he is our coach. Would it have been better to have taken Turner Gill instead? I think it would have been, but we didn't and that is history. What I can see coming perhaps this season or next is a big "Buy Out Bo" move.

Our expectations are not realistic. Last year we got excited because 2007 was such a debacle. Last year we benefitted from 3 patsies and a big 12 north that outside of Missery was not very good, downright terrible in fact. Our signature win of the regular season was beating Kansas. We had an experienced QB who we now know was pretty good and two much better recievers and a better running game.

This year we have a better defensive front thanks in large part to the best player in college football, our linebackers are not much to brag about and neither are the dbs. On offense we are below average in nearly every position.

I could be wrong but I think fans with expectations that we are a good team simply because Bo is coaching are in for big disappointment.

1) We have a lousy offense and an okay defense--not up to either Texas or Oklahoma standards

2) Some of the teams in the North are a little better this year and we are going to likely lose to some of them . Possible to lose to Baylor on the road as well. We are really that bad. Last year Colorado K suck and ISU were worse than terrible.

3) Last year we were close to the 2005- 2006 teams and we've taken a step backwards this year. This team could go to h*** in a hand basket like the 2007 team, though the likely result is a fair winning season and a small bowl. The North Championship is possible followed by a clock cleaning at Jerry's place, but not likely.

I was rediculed a few weeks ago for having the temerity to ask if anyone else thought that Green would be starting by conference time. Wow, that brought all kinds of "Lee is our quarterback for the next two years you idiot" type reponses. Probably 95% found what I saw as the most likely situation --Lee not a Div I qb--and Green the future of this progrm--to be off the wall crazy. Now it looks like about 90% are willing to throw Lee under the next bus and ride with Green whatever happens.

So when I see this thread pummeling a guy to broach the subject of Bo's coaching ability vs his motivational ability, I wonder if when we lose to some team many of you believe we have a "right to beat", and figure out that we are not a very good program right now and unless Green and a whole lot of people don't step up; we'll be worse next year.

So yeah, I thought and still think we'd have been better off hiring Turner Gill who will one day be a great coach of a big program and I wish it had been NU, should have been. But the LAST thing we do is blame Bo for the fact that we are not very good after 2 seasons. That is going to happen with many if I am right and we lose to a CU, KSU, ISU --Just watch. Like Lee there will be great sentiment to kick Bo out. He should get 5 years. He needs to make some changes on offense, but really what he needs is players. Keep the faith and manage your expectations, this is not going to be a short and easy ride to the top.

It is what it is and we are where we are. We are not a very good football team and haven't been for several years. Bo is neither a messiah or evil incarnate. But he is our coach. Would it have been better to have taken Turner Gill instead? I think it would have been, but we didn't and that is history. What I can see coming perhaps this season or next is a big "Buy Out Bo" move.

Our expectations are not realistic. Last year we got excited because 2007 was such a debacle. Last year we benefitted from 3 patsies and a big 12 north that outside of Missery was not very good, downright terrible in fact. Our signature win of the regular season was beating Kansas. We had an experienced QB who we now know was pretty good and two much better recievers and a better running game.

This year we have a better defensive front thanks in large part to the best player in college football, our linebackers are not much to brag about and neither are the dbs. On offense we are below average in nearly every position.

I could be wrong but I think fans with expectations that we are a good team simply because Bo is coaching are in for big disappointment.

1) We have a lousy offense and an okay defense--not up to either Texas or Oklahoma standards

2) Some of the teams in the North are a little better this year and we are going to likely lose to some of them . Possible to lose to Baylor on the road as well. We are really that bad. Last year Colorado K suck and ISU were worse than terrible.

3) Last year we were close to the 2005- 2006 teams and we've taken a step backwards this year. This team could go to h*** in a hand basket like the 2007 team, though the likely result is a fair winning season and a small bowl. The North Championship is possible followed by a clock cleaning at Jerry's place, but not likely.

I was rediculed a few weeks ago for having the temerity to ask if anyone else thought that Green would be starting by conference time. Wow, that brought all kinds of "Lee is our quarterback for the next two years you idiot" type reponses. Probably 95% found what I saw as the most likely situation --Lee not a Div I qb--and Green the future of this progrm--to be off the wall crazy. Now it looks like about 90% are willing to throw Lee under the next bus and ride with Green whatever happens.

So when I see this thread pummeling a guy to broach the subject of Bo's coaching ability vs his motivational ability, I wonder if when we lose to some team many of you believe we have a "right to beat", and figure out that we are not a very good program right now and unless Green and a whole lot of people don't step up; we'll be worse next year.

So yeah, I thought and still think we'd have been better off hiring Turner Gill who will one day be a great coach of a big program and I wish it had been NU, should have been. But the LAST thing we do is blame Bo for the fact that we are not very good after 2 seasons. That is going to happen with many if I am right and we lose to a CU, KSU, ISU --Just watch. Like Lee there will be great sentiment to kick Bo out. He should get 5 years. He needs to make some changes on offense, but really what he needs is players. Keep the faith and manage your expectations, this is not going to be a short and easy ride to the top.

couldn't agree more.