Our Fans

beanman

Agreed. I posted it in another thread but I have definitely noticed this year (I've attended more games this year than any other) our fans are not as quality as they used to be, for many of the reasons you pointed out. The tickets I get are usually on the East side in the balcony and I'm the one person up there cheering and yelling and being loud. This time I sat underneath the balcony and, aside from the grandson of one of the patrons, I was the youngest by a solid 30 years. I was "asked" to coordinate with the other fans and sit down after the first play of the game. When I stood up and yelled/cheered I was looked at like I was an alien. The fans around me only pi$$ed and moaned about the calls, they didn't objectively look at them like someone would with any knowledge of the game and accept them for what they are.

Bleh. I agree with you. Hardly what you would expect from "the best fans in college football."

I'm not exaggerating when I say that I was astounded at the number of elderly people that come out for the game. I would definitely say they are the majority.

Memorial Stadium might get nice and full, but its hardly intimidating, the only thing the other team has to worry about is getting a walker or pair of dentures thrown at them.

yup, but they own all the student tickets so the rest of us our screwed...though the way our teams have played the majority of this decade it's amazing the stadium can still stay full

One time back in like 99 I think, I went to the KSU game with a friend who had gotten the club section tickets in the west balcony. It seems like if you are up there you are just supposed to always sit, and unfortunately it was pretty quiet there. Everyone was season ticket holders, obviously, and it was just a weird experience altogether.

When we got to the stadium for the 300th sellout I just straight up told the people behind me, "I'm not sitting down and you shouldn't be sitting down either." I didn't have a single complaint.............. :thumbs

Lol, BRI. :lol: I was at that game with those club level seats I was given. I felt like I was in their territory so I sat mostly. I was in row 1 mind you so not like I had to stand. Plus the heights thing you know....

When we got to the stadium for the 300th sellout I just straight up told the people behind me, "I'm not sitting down and you shouldn't be sitting down either." I didn't have a single complaint.............. :thumbs

I was in the East Balcony for that game, so I got my usual standing in. The guys behind me are awesome and always stood, they both had their boys with them which, if I am not mistaken, was their first football game.

If they are going to whine about people standing up, it's time to throw the blue hairs out of the stadium-it's long overdue.

With T.O. in charge it will never happen. Look what he did with the students. Every other program puts their students close to the field and encourages them to yell and be rowdy. But at NU they are put in up in Never Never Land of Memorial Stadium.

Quick note. This was my first trip and I must say, the crowd noise was a little disappointing. We sat next to an older couple and the folks behind us were older. And neither of them were loud...well...except the old guy behind me who seemed to think giving a play by play was considered "loud". At any rate, the crowd nevrer really seemed to get into it.

Yeah! Kick out all the fans over 55! They're ruining our fun with their rickety bones! Football isn't for the blue hairs and they're definitely not intimidating the opposing side with their false teeth and canes! :woo

I'm glad none of us will ever get old!!! :LOLtartar

:sarcasm <----if you couldn't tell

For the record: I'm 24 so I guess I can still go to the games! :)

Every game I have been to has been in one end zone or the other. No problem standing, no problem yelling. During the big games everybody stands through most of the game, especially the second half. I've heard tales of the Blue Hair sections on the message boards and I say no thanks. Give me the "rowdies" in the end zones any day. And I bet I'm closer in age to the blue hairs than than I am to most on this board.

:bonez:bonez:bonez

Yeah! Kick out all the fans over 55! They're ruining our fun with their rickety bones! Football isn't for the blue hairs and they're definitely not intimidating the opposing side with their false teeth and canes! :woo

Well, there's getting old and then there's being 2-3 years away from Nursing Home status. No one is saying there should be an age limit but I believe the majority of people realize it's something that is active and not passive. As others have pointed out, if you aren't going to participate...why not just watch at home?

If they are going to whine about people standing up, it's time to throw the blue hairs out of the stadium-it's long overdue.

With T.O. in charge it will never happen. Look what he did with the students. Every other program puts their students close to the field and encourages them to yell and be rowdy. But at NU they are put in up in Never Never Land of Memorial Stadium.

Yeah, that's another crock of sh!t based on the almighty dollar. Maybe the place would be a little more intimidating if any students had seats closer to the field(like they did when I was in school there). At any game that was worth going to, it was so loud your guts were vibrating.

NOTHING pisses me off worse than hearing some old fart behind me yelling "Come on, sit down!!!!"

Oh well, if that's what they want, they got it.

Well, there's getting old and then there's being 2-3 years away from Nursing Home status. No one is saying there should be an age limit but I believe the majority of people realize it's something that is active and not passive. As others have pointed out, if you aren't going to participate...why not just watch at home?

I see what you're saying and I'm not advocating a passive nursing-home-only crowd. From my experience, the beauty of Nebraska football is the tradition that goes waaaay back. These people may have been rooting for the 'skers longer than I've been alive and I've got to respect that. That's tradition and that's what separates our fans from other teams. I'm glad we have young people like me to cheer my lungs out and do the wave, but I'm actually glad to see the 89 year old that sits down from me four seats. He yells as loud as he can.

GBR! :w00t

What do you expect. The cost to get season tickets prices out young families. The young fans are there on gift tickets not usually season tix holders!

this is correct.

student section needs to be moved and needs to be larger, open some areas up for GA... cut the number of season tickets back.

The reality is these things won't happen. (with the exception of moving the student section, but that is a stretch in the immediate future.)