Green wants QB job, feels Lee's pain

Nexus

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports...bc/6678971.html

LINCOLN, Neb. — Cody Green is a bit conflicted.

The freshman wants to win the Nebraska starting quarterback's job for Saturday's game against Iowa State.

But he knows the opportunity comes at the expense of his friend and current starter Zac Lee, who has been ripped and booed by fans for his ineffectiveness.

“With me being close to Zac, I feel sorry for him tremendously,” Green said. “I wish I could take some of the pain off him just because I don't want that feeling for anybody, really. A whole state jumps on somebody's bandwagon one minute and jumps right off the next.”

Green's bandwagon is loading up fast this week.

A year ago at this time, the 6-foot-4, 220-pounder was leading Dayton (Texas) High to a state runner-up finish and was ranked among the top 10 quarterback prospects in the country by major recruiting services.

He picked Nebraska over Texas A&M and Texas Tech, and he enrolled in January so he could get a jump on learning the offense in spring practice. It was a good decision, and offensive coordinator Shawn Watson said he would have no qualms starting Green if he proves best in practice.

“I don't ever put boundaries on a kid,” Watson said. “Cody is just one of those guys who needs time. He's a lot better than he was four or five weeks ago.”

Credit for that, Green said, goes as much to Lee as to Watson.

Lee befriended Green and took him under his wing last winter. Green said he owes the junior a debt of gratitude for helping him acclimate and giving him pointers.

“I've learned how to manage the offense and when to take shots and when not to, just to be a complete quarterback,” Green said.

The fact Green is in position to start is more an indictment of Lee than a statement about how Green has played so far.

Green came in for one series in the third quarter in last week's 31-10 loss to Texas Tech and was called for delay of game before taking his third snap. He returned for the last two possessions of the fourth quarter, throwing a touchdown pass to Khiry Cooper and getting intercepted.

Pelini said Green “didn't grade out exceptionally well” during film review. But with Nebraska in need of a spark, Green is getting a long look this week.

“It's the one thing that any competitor or a second-string competitor dreams of, that one chance to go out there and show what you can do,” Green said. “Right now, it's that time.”

Lee struggled the first three quarters at Missouri on Oct. 8 before he threw three fourth-quarter touchdown passes in a 27-12 come-from-behind win.

He couldn't build off the strong finish. Only one of the eight drives he led against Texas Tech resulted in points. He took four sacks, a couple self-inflicted because of indecisiveness, and he missed open receivers. Only two of his 16 completions went for more than 10 yards.

“For whatever reason, we didn't have breakout plays,” Lee said. “That's just the black and white of it. We didn't have plays we needed to make. I'm the guy up front. That's just how it is.”

The boos came as he made his exit early in the fourth quarter. The Huskers were trailing 24-3, and he badly overthrew Niles Paul in the corner of the end zone on fourth-and-goal from the Texas Tech 14.

Lee said he didn't hear the boos and acknowledged that he tries to shield himself from fan and media negativity.

“It's tough,” he said, “but you've got to do it for your own sanity.”

Pelini said Lee unfairly has become the poster child for all that ails the Huskers' offense.

“He feels like the whole state of Nebraska is against him,” Pelini said. “That would affect anybody. You fight through it, you persevere and take an ‘I'll-show-you' attitude. It's disappointing when people boo, but that's human nature.”

The fans' reaction to Lee has given Green an up-close look at the realities of the quarterback business.

“When a starter isn't doing so hot, everyone wants the backup,” he said. “It's going to be vice versa if I'm the starter and Zac's the backup. I mess up, everybody's going to want Zac.”

tough spot, but you know what, nice guys finish last! he needs to worry about his career and not lee's career. I only say this cause i tend to be the nice guy who always finishes last. always helping friends out just to turn around and have nothing waiting in return.

GO BIG RED!!!

I take two things from this article.

#1. The media plays qoutes as to how they want them to sound, and not how they were intended when the person made the qoute. For example. Watson does say that "Green needs time to develop" but he also says the same about Zac Lee. However you dont see that in the papers.

#2. Its good that Green sees just how quickly people jumped out of Zac Lee's bandwagon, so he realizes just how quick everyone will jump out of his when he messes up.

I take two things from this article.

#1. The media plays qoutes as to how they want them to sound, and not how they were intended when the person made the qoute. For example. Watson does say that "Green needs time to develop" but he also says the same about Zac Lee. However you dont see that in the papers.

#2. Its good that Green sees just how quickly people jumped out of Zac Lee's bandwagon, so he realizes just how quick everyone will jump out of his when he messes up.

Maybe he thinks he won't mess up...but seriously, it is not just Zac, it is the offensive line not holding anyone out of the backfield, the lack of depth at running back, and receivers that are dropping passes that should be caught that is contributing to the problems. It don't matter who the QB is, he can't do it all himself - and basically that is what he is being asked to do right now.

I don't know that I would have said he felt sorry for Zac either...without more explanation. That statement could have a lot read into it if you wanted to do it...negative or positive.

tough spot, but you know what, nice guys finish last! he needs to worry about his career and not lee's career. I only say this cause i tend to be the nice guy who always finishes last. always helping friends out just to turn around and have nothing waiting in return.

GO BIG RED!!!

It's true, and Green definitely has his head on straight. I think finishing last as far as the world goes is really the best kind of life to live, but in the football arena that is not going to fly.

A lot of comments on this site about the team not getting booed. It appears the team feels they were.

It is a tough situation for him.

I hope Zac puts it together and keeps his job. But what ever the coachs say is what I will endorse.

Anyone who was at the game and truly believes that the offense was not getting booed is in complete denial of reality!!

the whole damn offense has probs, Watson needs to dial back all the fluff and get down to basics and execution. neither qb will perform well unless they are given a script that is simple to execute.

you would think Cotton and Wats would have watched enough film by now to make some adjustments that would lead to some sort of error free ball..these guys need to achieve some sort of consistency...i lay this on the coaches and their play calling, forget the razzle dazzle pitch back crap, move north and south and keep it simple.

the whole damn offense has probs, Watson needs to dial back all the fluff and get down to basics and execution. neither qb will perform well unless they are given a script that is simple to execute.

you would think Cotton and Wats would have watched enough film by now to make some adjustments that would lead to some sort of error free ball..these guys need to achieve some sort of consistency...i lay this on the coaches and their play calling, forget the razzle dazzle pitch back crap, move north and south and keep it simple.

Watson IS getting too predictable on his play calling. We were sitting there Saturday doing it in the stands and about 75% of the time we would be right.