husker fans

I don't know a better place to post this, so i will put here and maybe a few others that run along the line of this subject.

I spent 6 years in the military traveling around the country and the world meeting new people, and during that time i met a lot of college football fans (especially from Texas) and i put up with a huge amount of negativity towards the Huskers.

But i have never experienced or would think to see this kind of negativity towards the Huskers from our very own fans. What ever happened to being respectful fans? What ever happened to being respectful to our team or supportive to our team?

Even during the bad years under Tom Osborne, Husker fans never booed, Husker fans didn't try to get into fights with other fans, Husker fans were very supportive for their struggling team. What has happened to that?

People will do what they want, thats life. But right now i feel like the only thing that is giving the Huskers a bad name is the some of the fans themselves.

The hell they didn't boo when Osborne was coach, and we didn't really have 'struggling teams' - we never lost more than 3, remember? Mauer was booed, as was Frost (during a great year, no less). I've heard a lot of stories of For Sale signs ending up in Osborne's yard, and he even took a trips to Boulder and East Lansing - and there weren't a lot of Husker fans opposed to it at the time. Right after we got railed by Georgia Tech in the Citrus Bowl, Osborne and his coaching staff were all brushing up their resumes, expecting to get the axe.

As a Husker fan, I love Husker fans, but we're pretty much the same as we've always been. You could go back in history and see the discontent in our fan base. The thing is, though, when we fill up the stadium 302 consecutive times, and with the kind of donations that are given to the athletic facilities, we expect to see a better effort than 8 turnovers and a loss to IOWA FREAKING STATE at HOME.

hmmm, well i guess i just kinda figured we were classy respectful fans, but i your right we are normal college football fans.

No, you have a point, though. The minute we start fighting with opposing fans and players as they're leaving the stadium instead of applauding them and wishing them luck the rest of the season, we lose the title of 'greatest fans in college football.' We're known as good fans for our knowledge of the game as well, and that will never change.

The thing that's so frustrating though is the kind of support that the university gets from the entire state and pockets of other states is staggering. You'd figure that alone would push this team to at least one conference title since '99, wouldn't it? Have you ever seen the athletic facilities at UNL? Absolutely top of the line, and they will only get better, as there is more to come.

Even in '04, they were some of the best in the conference. You know who had some of the worst athletic facilities in the conference in '04? Texas Tech. I saw a tape of one their spring practices, and they were outside in the 90 degree heat basically running drills in a sandlot. So, when we played them, you'd figure we'd at least stand a chance? How about the worst loss in school history. Absolutely unacceptable, and things haven't improved much since.

wowtv

Fans react

It was 1977 when Iowa State last won in Memorial Stadium but a debacle Saturday saw the Cornhuskers commit a record tying, 8 turnovers. It lead to a 9-7 loss. Now fans are wondering what happens to a season that once looked so promising.

It's hard to imagine a worse start, the Huskers fumbled on their first play from scrimmage.

“The offense was just pathetic, it was one of the worst performances I've seen from a Nebraska team in a long time,” says Terry Bacon, who made the trip from Colorado. “I thought they would get it back but they never did,” says Taylor Rabuck.

It was a sign of things to come. The Huskers turned the ball over eight times, four times inside the cyclone 5 yard line. “You have more turnover than points, that's not necessarily a great 2nd half. I would say, a little disappointing,” says Michelle Leehy. “I don't know whether it was anxiety, not paying attention to holding to the ball but it's poor play, can't blame it on the coach cause the players should know better” says Dick Newman.

Sometimes inexplicably and doing so untouched. Kathy Bartlett drove from Madison, Wisconsin for the game. “I think there's a lot of ineptitude there. It's frustrating to watch them play like that,” she says.

The Newman’s are season ticket holders from Colorado. “It looks like undisciplined coaching to me.”

While there has been controversy surrounding the quarterback, fans were not pointing all their blame there. “I didn't think Zach Lee did that bad of a job, I saw a lot of dropped passes and you've seen a lot of dropped passes all year,” says Brian Chandler. “I don't necessarily think it's the QB, possibly wide receivers, its tough to tell,” says Leehy.

With the loss the huskers are now 4-3 and have fans wondering what the future holds. “Colorado could beat them, Kansas State could beat them, Baylor could beat them, who knows if they play the way they did yesterday they could lose every game this year,” says Bacon.

"You can only do so much with kids in college so; I think they'll work it out” says Bartlett.

Saturday's loss ended a streak of 126 straight victories by Nebraska when holding opponents to 10 or less.

my experience.....the ISU fans were sh#t. have a little (just a little) class. i heard at least 5 different sets of 5 or less ISU fans asking husker fans how bad it hurt and calling sker fans names!

ACT LIKE YOUVE BEEN THERE..............oh wait.....

:yeah BINGO!

:yeah:yeah

Plus if the officials didn't blow that horse collar tackle/late hit on the blocked field goal Nebraska would have won the game.

All I know is the only time in my 34 years that I have ever viewed physical fan vs. fan fighting was in Ames during an OU/ISU game. To top off the whole thing this wonderful ISU fan came running down to tell security who started the whole thing and his exact quote was "It was those darn OU n***ers!" He then turned around and went and sat down with his wife and 2 kids. It was awesome.