Stat of the Baylor Game

typ3kal

I'm not saying that it turned the game by any means, but it is certainly something to consider.

On the 1st 4 carries Green picked up 25 yards.

Green's Rushing @ Baylor

8 Attempts 43 Yards Avg 5.4

Zac Lee's Season

43 Attempts 73 Yards Avg 1.7

Still we have big issues at quarter back. Our offensive play calling is questionable, our Oline struggles to block for the run. I do feel as though we need to pair down the offense for OU and just work on execution. The myriad of woes on the offense are only going to turn into picks for 6 / points for OU.

Hopefully 2011-2012 are better.... I don't see us competing for a Big12 championship until then..

Cody also didn't get sacked, and Zac has...

Those stats don't really mean anything.

Dumb comment.

The guy has 16 rushing attempts in his career and he has gained 123 yards for an average of 7.6875 yards per carry. I may have been watching a different football team this season, I guess I forgot how well the zone read works without a mobile QB threat. :facepalm:

Cody Green did nothing to push us over the top today.

He did show us that he can't throw on the run, singles out his receivers and doesn't tuck the ball away and run as a lot of folks thought he would. He looked a lot like a first time starter that may or may not improve over the last few games.

He's 18 years old. :thumbs

He did show us that he can't throw on the run, singles out his receivers and doesn't tuck the ball away and run as a lot of folks thought he would. He looked a lot like a first time starter that may or may not improve over the last few games.

I totally agree. Some just made it sound like once he got the starting nod all the QB problems would be washed away.

I didnt think at all once Green got the nod all of our offensive problems would go away. I was saying at this point in the season, we have nothing to lose offensively, lets experiment...put Green in see what he does. I'm definitely glad Green got the start. The people saying Zac Lee had a great game against Iowa State are going to be the same people bashing Cody Green for his performance tonight. Cody Green did every bit as well tonight as Zac Lee did against Iowa State

I totally agree. Some just made it sound like once he got the starting nod all the QB problems would be washed away.

Which you are right, because anybody thinking that was dead wrong.

But I think we should all consider a few things:

1) Cody Green made his first career start on the road. Granted, Baylor is not a hostile environment, but that is still a tough situation to handle. He did what was asked of him but you gotta remember that this kid is still not to the level of most D1 quarterbacks right now. He is going to make mistakes, but he also going to do great things like we saw with his running ability and with his deep pass to Niles Paul to set up our lone offensive touchdown.

2) Playcalling was a not as big an issue as some of you think it was today. Today was all about execution. Each play there were one or two guys that were not fulfilling their role in the offense, and that execution fell flat on the shoulders of the blockers. WR's were not getting perimeter blocks, and o-line men were not executing on any given play.

I'm not saying that it turned the game by any means, but it is certainly something to consider.

On the 1st 4 carries Green picked up 25 yards.

Green's Rushing @ Baylor

8 Attempts 43 Yards Avg 5.4

Zac Lee's Season

43 Attempts 73 Yards Avg 1.7

uh... are you serious? :dumdum

first off -- you are comparing one game for green to a half a season for lee.

it was baylor.

if ya want to compare how each did in what is essentially each guys first game of the season.

it's still apples and oranges but here goes...

compare lee's opening game vs Fla Atlantic (another crappy team).

Lee 2-14 rushing Avg 7.0 yards per carry.

passing Lee 15-22-1-213 and two touchdowns. Avg 14.2 yards.

I know --- another goofy comparison.

folks can make ridiculous comparisons all day.

neither qb is striking fear in the other team.

I'm actually pretty excited in what I see in Green. I'm not a Lee hater though. I do see that Green needs to work on throwing on the run and being able to see all of his options, but I like what I see in him thus far. Let's face it, our offensive calling still sucks bad and that's not either QB's fault. It was so unbelievably easy to see what we were going to do today on O and there was nothing that made a defense guess at what we were going to do.

One thing I would like to see gone from the Callahan era is when we line the back up 7 yards back, hike it to the QB who runs 5 yards back to give it to the back after he takes a couple steps. It takes so long to get going and we end up moving backwards before we ever move forward and by that time the defense knows what we are doing and close it all up. It's crazy how many times we run that and it rarely ever gets us a yard. We also have backs that simply run the play even if the hole is closed. We need to work seeing where to run instead of blindly running the play.

I'm just happy we won, but it was a nail biter that last half. Phew!!

Just my opinion: The ONLY reason I am glad that Green got the start is the fact that he didn't waste a redshirt year for only a handful of "series". That would have been too similar to how BC handled his freshmen players. At least if Green get "meaningful" snaps and game experience, then I guess one might be able to justify burning a year of eligibility.

Personally, neither QB is stellar to say the least. I still think Zac Lee gives us the best chance to win this year, but the more Green plays, the better he will get. I am not sure he is ready to play at this level. I am not sure, but I don't think he checked out of many plays this afternoon. This may be a sign that he isn't ready for "pre-snap" reads.... also could mean that the coaches told him to just run what is called.

If Cody's performance today had been Lee everyone would be jumping down the coaches throats because Cody Green isn't the starting QB.

If you don't believe that, you're god damn lyin to yourself.

And sure sure, it's his 1st start, he's a freshman. Isn't the coaches job to win football games? Therefore throwing in the towel and preparing for the future isn't the name of the game. So don't use that bs argument.

We'll see how green's "running" ability is next week...

Pretty sure new earth hit the nail on the head here.

Also to enhance, last week vs ISU wasn't about play calling either, it was about brutal excecution. That's back to back weeks and it's not good. Kind of hard to find blame right now when it's the offense in general.

If Cody's performance today had been Lee everyone would be jumping down the coaches throats because Cody Green isn't the starting QB.

That is so true and I've been wanting to post that all day but figured it would send people into a frenzy so I wouldn't. But since you obviously have bigger balls than I do this day, I will just say, "Agreed."