Watson Lovers

Im just curious why some people believe Watson should be retained at the end of the season.

Now....I dont want answers such as...Watson isn't the problem....We don't have the players...the players drop passes....the line does't block...etc.

I want you to tell me what Watson brings to the table and what he can do to help the offense and makes you think he is so good, not what other people aren't doing to help the offense.

What do you mean? He started Cody Green like everyone told him to, now you want him gone? If the D sucks next year, should they fire Bo? I remember many throwing a fit about the rumor of Watson going to bama' and how worried everyone was if he was offered a HC job somewhere. Boy how things change... :dumdum

What do you mean? He started Cody Green like everyone told him to, now you want him gone? If the D sucks next year, should they fire Bo? I remember many throwing a fit about the rumor of Watson going to bama' and how worried everyone was if he was offered a HC job somewhere. Boy how things change... :dumdum

So just because he started a player who SHOULD be starting he deserves a free pass? His system SUCKS. And for the record I never thought Watson should have been retained from the Callahan staff...we need to wash out everything that was ever associated with those years.

So just because he started a player who SHOULD be starting he deserves a free pass? His system SUCKS. And for the record I never thought Watson should have been retained from the Callahan staff...we need to wash out everything that was ever associated with those years.

sorry forgot to add :sarcasm and while I am at it dedhoarse

I want to poach someone off of that Florida staff. I love their offense. They can spread you out and sling it all over the place, or they can just ram it down your throat.

But PLEASE get a young energetic guy in there and light fires under these kids' a**es!

:restore

I think I know what could make this offense great, and here it is...

Stop this style of offense and do something that can play to Nebraska's strengths.

Let's face the simple truth. Nebraska is never going to beat Texas, Florida, USC, or even Oklahoma in the recruiting game. It is their game and they play it perfectly.

Why do you think Nebraska ran the style of offense they did for so long and it worked so well? T.O. knew that Nebraska wasn't a place that he was going to reel in 5 star recruits like USC does. He knew he could take guys maybe nobody else wanted that badly and make them successful in his offense.

Former opponents, after playing Nebraska, would feel the pain and soreness from the game for long after they would any other. Even if we lost, we would be extremely physical and pop them in the mouth every play. Now, we finesse our way down the football field, "take what the defense gives us", and we don't impose are will on anybody not in the Sun Belt.

Take that 320 play playbook, cut it down significantly, perfect those plays, and then give em to another team. I think our team is average at every play and great at nothing, which means we pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being successful on any given play.

Stop this style of offense and do something that can play to Nebraska's strengths.

Let's face the simple truth. Nebraska is never going to beat Texas, Florida, USC, or even Oklahoma in the recruiting game. It is their game and they play it perfectly.

Why do you think Nebraska ran the style of offense they did for so long and it worked so well? T.O. knew that Nebraska wasn't a place that he was going to reel in 5 star recruits like USC does. He knew he could take guys maybe nobody else wanted that badly and make them successful in his offense.

Former opponents, after playing Nebraska, would feel the pain and soreness from the game for long after they would any other. Even if we lost, we would be extremely physical and pop them in the mouth every play. Now, we finesse our way down the football field, "take what the defense gives us", and we don't impose are will on anybody not in the Sun Belt.

Take that 320 play playbook, cut it down significantly, perfect those plays, and then give em to another team. I think our team is average at every play and great at nothing, which means we pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being successful on any given play.

Jason Peter...Is that you behind the computer screen? LOL :sarcasm

I agree with everything you said in this post, especially the recruiting aspect.

However, if we keep Watson his system will remain. We must get rid of him if we want a different style of offense.

Jason Peter...Is that you behind the computer screen? LOL :sarcasm

I agree with everything you said in this post, especially the recruiting aspect.

However, if we keep Watson his system will remain. We must get rid of him if we want a different style of offense.

Maaaaybbeeeee.... :clap

No it's not, but I did just get around to listening to his stint on Big Red Wrap Up last week, and couldn't help agreeing with most everything he had to say.

Im just curious why some people believe Watson should be retained at the end of the season.

Now....I dont want answers such as...Watson isn't the problem....We don't have the players...the players drop passes....the line does't block...etc.

I want you to tell me what Watson brings to the table and what he can do to help the offense and makes you think he is so good, not what other people aren't doing to help the offense.

Let's get back to the original question listed above. I've heard nothing but crickets, and it is a good question.

TO will never "dump on" Wats -- it's not his style.

Back to the original question -- I think the main reason Watson was retained because he had such a close relationship to the stable of quarterbacks that were under him. now that it doesn't seem to matter -- this is the time to start the overhaul of the O ...by getting rid of him thus removing the last link to the Callahan era.

Let's get back to the original question listed above. I've heard nothing but crickets, and it is a good question.

Well, I will give you some reasons why he shouldn't stay.

1. He ALWAYS abandons what is working. Anyone remember the Cotton Bowl a couple of years ago. We ram the ball down Auburns throats and score two TD's. Then guess what, the same ol same ol, we go back to what doesn't work the rest of the game and lose 17-14. Shoot, we see it every game!!!

2. The offense doesn't show any fire or desire. That comes from the coaching, period. Case in point, Bo took a horrible D two years ago and turned it around and showed dramatic improvement last year. Now look at it this year, ranked in the top ten in scoring defense. We still have several players left over from two years ago (on D) and look at what a little good coaching has done. There seems to be a huge difference here between the O and the D.

3. As a manager, I can attest to the fact that good leadership starts at the top! If Watson has total control of the offense, (maybe Bo shouldn't have given him) then he takes the blame for everything under him. That includes the position coaches (Cotton) and how the players are being prepared.

4. Hasn't shown any desire to conform his offense to the abilities of his players. A good coach will adapt to the players he has. Yes, we have had several injuries, so play to the strengths of who you have left.

5. This "take what the defence gives you" mentality has to go. Nebraska used to impose their will on the defences. Look at other schools who are on top, Florida, USC, Cinci, Bama ect. They impose their will on the defence and dare you to stop them. Also, amazingly enough, they play to the strenghts of their players!

6. As someone else mentioned before, we are never going to get the "5 star" receivers that the southern schools get. Tom understood that and built an offense around the caliber of talent he would be able to recruit.

7. I will concede that he and the other coaches on offense see the players everyday in practice. Yet, they seem to be stuborn and have their heads in the sand. I don't care how well things appear to work in practice, it isn't working in the games. I would love to know how many times this offense actually go's against the starting defence in practice. If they really do, that should be telling to the coaches, I can't imagine they move the ball that well. Maybe not often, the coaches probably don't want to destroy the psyche of the offensive players :lol: .

8. The argument that they had to scale down the offense for Green doesn't hold water. I don't know about all of you, but I was still seeing most of the same stupid plays with Green that we saw with Lee. I think Watson is the only one who knows all of his 300+ plays. During actual games we only see less the 20 and that is being generous. When other defensive coaches are breaking down game film of us, they must be salivating!!!

Double post, again.