The much needed "SPARK"

Travis9

Ok if you look at the four games that Lee started that mattered most (Virginia Tech, Missouri, Texas Tech, and Iowa State), Lee's performance was pitiful except for one quarter of play. In the VT game, he failed to lead a TD drive. In the Missouri game, he only got the big play to Paul, then two short throws for TD's, however he never had to lead a drive downfield. In the TT game, he failed to lead a TD drive. In the ISU game, he led us to one 40 yd TD drive, and on the last 2 series when it really mattered, he threw 2 picks.

Zac Lee cannot lead a drive against a BCS conference defense. He cannot drive 80 yards downfield on any defense that has talent and isn't from the Sun Belt conference. However, Cody Green has led touchdown drives in both of his first Big 12 appearances. He has shown more in those games than Lee has really shown all year. Lee cannot read defenses, he misses open receivers, has no running or scrambling ability, and is not a leader.

Its obviously its Cody Green for the next few years. Lets have him face a real tough D like Oklahoma now so he can learn what it really takes to win in college football. I guarantee you he will lead us to at least 2 touchdown drives, and then a couple field goal drives this week. Zac Lee isn't capable of doing anything like that. Its obvious he doesn not have what it takes. Green is young but is going to learn quick, our O will be so much better off next year if Green has a good reset of the season.

I kind of take issue with that because it's far from obvious. Who's to say Cody's confidence doesn't take hit after hit if he struggles this year (and I mean, have you seen our O? I'd say it's likely he does struggle), or that he never resolves the passing issues (Pryor hasn't) he needs to in order to be successful?

And it's nice that some people want to just build for the future, at the (potential? maybe not) expense of the present, but people need to check their impatience at the door if that's the case. Otherwise, be ready for some crisis-filled times. Based on all the "BENCH LEE NOW" and "FIRE WATSON NOW" talk we've already seen this season, I'd say y'all better grab a LOT of beers. And don't drive afterwards, okay? :lol:

I'll take the "NOW", please, and I know most of you guys would too. In which case, stop making excuses for Green because he's a freshman. He's the starter now and deserves the exact same scrutiny and criticism Zac Lee got.

Its obviously its Cody Green for the next few years. Lets have him face a real tough D like Oklahoma now so he can learn what it really takes to win in college football.

I agree. Let's get our butts handed to us in the worst home loss against OU with Cody Green as QB so we can look forward to the next 3 years. :sarcasm

With the way things are going, im going to need 3 cases of beer to drown out my sorrows for Saturday's game. :wasted Anyone wanna drink with me?

Average too below average receivers, and an undependable running game = need for a mobile quarterback.

When the play goes to crap you need a QB to run the ball. I'll take a 5 yd scramble over a sack/int/incomplete pass anyday.

Green stays.

Average too below average receivers, and an undependable running game = need for a mobile quarterback.

When the play goes to crap you need a QB to run the ball. I'll take a 5 yd scramble over a sack/int/incomplete pass anyday.

Green stays.

I appreciate the input from everyone.

It is not a Lee vs. Green thing for me at all. I am just not willing to sacrifice this season for the betterment of Cody Green at the expense of every senior on the team. Especially when my belief is Green will be a Pryor, Tyrod Taylor type that never does pass well enough for our offense to be a legitimate threat.

Hope I am wrong.

But to say we are better right now with Green is ludicrous at best. No we are not, and all I have ever asked is (as one poster stated) critique both QB the same. We aren't, Green is getting excuses and passes, whereas Lee got an over abundant of negatives for the same damn thing

I believe this for a couple of reasons.

1. His throwing motion. Its not going to get any better and it creates bad throws due to the arm slot.

2. The offensive scheme. I believe that we will trend towards a more run based zone read type of team, especially early to compensate for Green's lack of passing prowess. That kind of offense is fine but it doesn't help the QB improve. (see tyrod taylor, pat white)

3. I think Cody is a great Athlete, that has gotten by with his great athleticism, but every step up the ladder brings with it much more athleticism at other positions. (See Pryor)

I hope I am wrong, i just believe what I believe based on the things i have seen in practice and in games

1. His throwing motion. Its not going to get any better and it creates bad throws due to the arm slot.

Why do you believe arm slot cannot be changed? Dozens of pitchers do this in baseball every year. Mechanics are one of the easier things to fix with time and training. I'm curious why you think Green's throwing motion will not improve.

2. The offensive scheme. I believe that we will trend towards a more run based zone read type of team, especially early to compensate for Green's lack of passing prowess. That kind of offense is fine but it doesn't help the QB improve. (see tyrod taylor, pat white)

Improve where? Improve his passing? If we trend toward a more running-based offense, do we care if his throwing motion improves? Eric Crouch was one heck of a gifted runner but not much of a passer. So was Jammal Lord, Tommie Frazier, Vince Young, Pat White, etc. Running QBs don't have to be good passers. This isn't an issue if our scheme trends toward the Zone Read.

3. I think Cody is a great Athlete, that has gotten by with his great athleticism, but every step up the ladder brings with it much more athleticism at other positions. (See Pryor)

Of course, and he may fall flat on his face. But we won't know until the season and next progress. He may become the next great running QB at Nebraska. How could we possibly know that right now?

I hope I am wrong, i just believe what I believe based on the things i have seen in practice and in games

How do you get to watch practices? Even the media doesn't have access. Are you on the staff or the team?

As for games.... Green has played one full game (his first collegiate start), and some mop-up duty in three others, for a few series, total. If you're basing anything you wrote up there ^^^ on that, your sample size is too small.

I still think we are better than we were with Lee.

not a chance. we can beat KU and KSU and CU with Lee, we lose 3 of the 4 with Green. You have RB to run the ball, but you have to be able to throw and Green cannot do that .

2 years from now we are going to be the VA. Tech or the ohio state of the big 12. great D and avg offense with a QB that can run but can't throw enough to be dominant.

we never passed the fifty with lee against an above average D versus TT.......

and yes Lee did throw 3 Int's versus TT (or was it ISU?)

the point is Lee doesn't have the internal clock Green has resulting in sacks. on top of that seeing the way lee plays i really wonder if the college game has slowed down for him yet.

on top of that we suck on offense because we lost two pretty good running backs. Helu is 40% right now maybe and i haven't heard if Burkhead will be back this season or not. This leaves us with a couple young inexperienced tailbacks that have been less than spectacular but have shown promise.

if we get Helu back to 100% and burkhead back this team will demolish anyone and everyone.

Cody won us a big 12 game. Zac did also, however it took Zach 3 qtrs to score. And that was because the coverage was blown, look at the film Paul was wide open. Cody could have hit that throw too. I have not seen anything from Zach that would lead me to think he could win us another game. He is an avrage passer with no pocket preasence (spell check?) and can not scramble to save his life. He is afraid to take a hit, something Cody is not ie. Running through the Baylor player. I believe Cody is our QB and can win 3 of the next 4 games.

OU- L 14-21

KU- W 21-7

KSU- W 28-14

CU- W 24-21

Why do you believe arm slot cannot be changed? Dozens of pitchers do this in baseball every year. Mechanics are one of the easier things to fix with time and training. I'm curious why you think Green's throwing motion will not improve.

Improve where? Improve his passing? If we trend toward a more running-based offense, do we care if his throwing motion improves? Eric Crouch was one heck of a gifted runner but not much of a passer. So was Jammal Lord, Tommie Frazier, Vince Young, Pat White, etc. Running QBs don't have to be good passers. This isn't an issue if our scheme trends toward the Zone Read.

Of course, and he may fall flat on his face. But we won't know until the season and next progress. He may become the next great running QB at Nebraska. How could we possibly know that right now?

How do you get to watch practices? Even the media doesn't have access. Are you on the staff or the team?

As for games.... Green has played one full game (his first collegiate start), and some mop-up duty in three others, for a few series, total. If you're basing anything you wrote up there ^^^ on that, your sample size is too small.

1. Mechanics can change yes, but in college not a lot of time is spent changing them. It is also not as easy as one might think. Can they change yes and i hope they do

2. I am going by what i see. I don't think we want to be a running spread team (aka oregon and W. va) but i think we will lean that way for a while to compensate. The best thing we can do to improve his passing is have him pass. Also, if we are going to a running spread team then Tyler Gabbert better look elsewhere. We are recruiting him which leads me to believe we want to continue to be a balanced team coupled with our OC and his history of being balanced

3. We don't know, I hope i am wrong though. History shows us that great running athletic QB's don't pass the ball very well. Vick Taylor, white, and yes i will say it the Great Tim Tebow. Tebow is not a great QB, their offense works because they are stacked with talent 3 deep.

4. Not staff or team member but have a friend in a high place that allows me that luxury

Cody won us a big 12 game. Zac did also, however it took Zach 3 qtrs to score. And that was because the coverage was blown, look at the film Paul was wide open. Cody could have hit that throw too. I have not seen anything from Zach that would lead me to think he could win us another game. He is an avrage passer with no pocket preasence (spell check?) and can not scramble to save his life. He is afraid to take a hit, something Cody is not ie. Running through the Baylor player. I believe Cody is our QB and can win 3 of the next 4 games.

OU- L 14-21

KU- W 21-7

KSU- W 28-14

CU- W 24-21

If we hold KU to 7 points I may have to bow down and praise the football gods.

1. Mechanics can change yes, but in college not a lot of time is spent changing them. It is also not as easy as one might think. Can they change yes and i hope they do

2. I am going by what i see. I don't think we want to be a running spread team (aka oregon and W. va) but i think we will lean that way for a while to compensate. The best thing we can do to improve his passing is have him pass. Also, if we are going to a running spread team then Tyler Gabbert better look elsewhere. We are recruiting him which leads me to believe we want to continue to be a balanced team coupled with our OC and his history of being balanced

3. We don't know, I hope i am wrong though. History shows us that great running athletic QB's don't pass the ball very well. Vick Taylor, white, and yes i will say it the Great Tim Tebow. Tebow is not a great QB, their offense works because they are stacked with talent 3 deep.

4. Not staff or team member but have a friend in a high place that allows me that luxury

1. It's as easy to change throwing mechanics as putting a guy through a bunch of reps. This isn't neural surgery - it's a conscious effort to throw the ball different, combined with enough reps to make it an unconscious effort. It takes about a week, give or take a week, depending on the guy.

2. Again, where are you getting this "I don't think we want to be a running spread team?" Why would we have recruited a guy whose biggest asset is his feet if we didn't intend to run the ball more? Seems pretty strange, doesn't it?

3. All those guys you listed have pretty stellar records in college. We'd trade our last few years for the career records those guys put up, easy. What's the harm in having that kind of success?

4. How many practices have you attended this year?

Green stays.

I appreciate the input from everyone.

It is not a Lee vs. Green thing for me at all. I am just not willing to sacrifice this season for the betterment of Cody Green at the expense of every senior on the team. Especially when my belief is Green will be a Pryor, Tyrod Taylor type that never does pass well enough for our offense to be a legitimate threat.

Hope I am wrong.

But to say we are better right now with Green is ludicrous at best. No we are not, and all I have ever asked is (as one poster stated) critique both QB the same. We aren't, Green is getting excuses and passes, whereas Lee got an over abundant of negatives for the same damn thing

So you are saying that Zac Lee will be who? Because you keep comparing Green to Tyrod Taylor and Pryor. hell i would take either one of them over Zac Lee. Who do you think Lee will be next year huh because he is not going to turn into some great qb.

Great passer or not, Tyrod Taylor has been the starting quarterback for two straight ACC titles, and has also played in, and won 2 BCS bowl games.

Pat White also played in, and won 2 BCS games. If Cody can do that I think we'll be okay :)

No Lee may not be a great QB next year. What i am saying is that he is a heck of a lot better than he is getting credit for and that he is showing.

There are a lot of problems that have led to everyones opinion of him.

our Oline is bad

our WR are bad or have played bad

our RB are dropping like flies

our OC has not come up with one game plan to fit our offense or to put

our offense and the QB in a position to be successful.

our WR coach has played Wr because they block better not because

they get open and can catch

There are a ton of problems that have led to Lee "looking awful"

Those problems still exist and will make Green look awful too