The much needed "SPARK"

Travis9

FWIW Pat White, whom wasn't a great passer, led WVU to 4 BCS bowl games and I believe won all 4. only QB to do that in the BCS era.

yes Pat White did, but they didn't have an identity crisis with their offense. everyone knew what their offense was and they recruited for that offense.

Us on the other hand have a crisis with our identity. and the future doesn't look any clearer. If we were going to move to the run first type of spread then we damn sure shouldn't be recruiting Gabbert.

To compare the Pat White offense to ours is not doable. my point with Pat White is that he couldn't throw it at all and neither can Green

Little harsh there, I've seen him make some throws that Lee hasn't been able make. Green has shown several times that he's been able to throw a deep out and have the ball there as the receiver comes out of their break. With Lee, they make their break and wait for the ball. Neither QB has shown that they can do what made Ganz such a great QB, and that's throw on the run. Big difference is this was Green's first meaningful playing time, Lee has had 7 games.

Average too below average receivers, and an undependable running game = need for a mobile quarterback.

When the play goes to crap you need a QB to run the ball. I'll take a 5 yd scramble over a sack/int/incomplete pass anyday.

Green stays.

I appreciate the input from everyone.

It is not a Lee vs. Green thing for me at all. I am just not willing to sacrifice this season for the betterment of Cody Green at the expense of every senior on the team. Especially when my belief is Green will be a Pryor, Tyrod Taylor type that never does pass well enough for our offense to be a legitimate threat.

Hope I am wrong.

But to say we are better right now with Green is ludicrous at best. No we are not, and all I have ever asked is (as one poster stated) critique both QB the same. We aren't, Green is getting excuses and passes, whereas Lee got an over abundant of negatives for the same damn thing

Last time I checked Vince Young was someone who everyone said couldnt throw very good and he ended up being just fine in college. And it was the kids first start Tommie Frazier didnt come in and all of a sudden light it up either his first couple starts.

Actually, he did. His first three starts were against Mizzu (away), Colorado (at home) and Kansas (at home). They beat Mizzu 34-24, Colorado was ranked 8th and we clobbered them 52-7, I was at that game. Kansas was ranked in the teens and we beat them 49-7. It was his fourth start that was the debacle at Iowa St. Then they beat both Oklahoma 33-9 and Kansas St. 38-24 (played in Tokyo, Japan.).

FWIW Pat White, whom wasn't a great passer, led WVU to 4 BCS bowl games and I believe won all 4. only QB to do that in the BCS era.

yes Pat White did, but they didn't have an identity crisis with their offense. everyone knew what their offense was and they recruited for that offense.

Us on the other hand have a crisis with our identity. and the future doesn't look any clearer. If we were going to move to the run first type of spread then we damn sure shouldn't be recruiting Gabbert.

To compare the Pat White offense to ours is not doable. my point with Pat White is that he couldn't throw it at all and neither can Green

Little harsh there, I've seen him make some throws that Lee hasn't been able make. Green has shown several times that he's been able to throw a deep out and have the ball there as the receiver comes out of their break. With Lee, they make their break and wait for the ball. Neither QB has shown that they can do what made Ganz such a great QB, and that's throw on the run. Big difference is this was Green's first meaningful playing time, Lee has had 7 games.

again i stand by my statement. go watch the film of every game and you will see Zac made some great throws on Deep Outs, he made some great throws on deep balls, in fact watch the film and you will see that he has made every throw possible. You are right though in one respect, he did make 2 throws that Zac doesn't have mastered and that is the "bounce 10 yards short of the WR" throw

again i stand by my statement. go watch the film of every game and you will see Zac made some great throws on Deep Outs, he made some great throws on deep balls, in fact watch the film and you will see that he has made every throw possible. You are right though in one respect, he did make 2 throws that Zac doesn't have mastered and that is the "bounce 10 yards short of the WR" throw

OH Yeah, one more actually, and that is the "lock on to the WR pick 6" throw

No Lee may not be a great QB next year. What i am saying is that he is a heck of a lot better than he is getting credit for and that he is showing.

There are a lot of problems that have led to everyones opinion of him.

our Oline is bad

our WR are bad or have played bad

our RB are dropping like flies

our OC has not come up with one game plan to fit our offense or to put

our offense and the QB in a position to be successful.

our WR coach has played Wr because they block better not because

they get open and can catch

There are a ton of problems that have led to Lee "looking awful"

Those problems still exist and will make Green look awful too

All of these reasons are why Nebraska needs to stick with a QB who knows when to stay calm and run.

As soon as these problems are fixed, then yeah, try lee again. but until then, Lee will struggle, because he is a thrower, not a runner.

Concerning the recruiting aspect, this could be another one of our problems. As I stated in another thread, we have offensive linemen built to pass pro and a couple who would be better in a run oriented offense (Ricky Henry), we have possession wide receivers who aren't a consistent deep threat, tight ends built to catch balls that spend most of their time blocking, and a Freshman quarterback who would probably be a lot more successful in Florida's offense. Recruiting for every type of offense is hurting us.

But, I disagree with your comparison between Pat White and Cody Green. It isn't fair to rip CG for his first start on the road. Not only that, he had a deep pass to Niles Paul that he took his time with and put in the perfect catchable position. He didn't just lob it up and pray to Jeebus.

Lee had seven games to prove his metal. He did well in three, did nothing good in three, and had one good quarter in Missouri thanks to three passes, and that was it.

OH Yeah, one more actually, and that is the "lock on to the WR pick 6" throw

Ok, by your analogy, Cody Green has yet to perfect the "throw 2 yards behind the receiver" pass the haunts Lee. I'm not here to get into a pissing match, I'll be the first to admit that neither QB is obviously perfect, some due to their own fault, some due to O-Line and some due to WR's.

Were we watching the same game?! Some of Green's passes missed horribly. Did you forget about the skip passes? I have to agree with Travis here on every single point. Lee has looked shaken due to horrible line play and injured RBs. He did however need to work on getting rid of the ball sooner. I see us losing more games starting Green at this point than Lee. I think the switch to Green was only done to appease fans. Baylor does not have a good team at all. If Lee had started I bet we would have put up 2 more TDs in the game as well as not having a pick 6. After the Virginia Tech game and how Oklahoma looks now, who would you pick to win the game? my how things change. The only way we could win the Oklahoma is with Lee. A confident Lee that is.

Lee can't throw down field and misses recievers. Would you rather have a QB that sits the the pocket and looks like a scared puppy, or one that may not be a whole lot better of a thrower YET, but atleast isn't scared to cross the line of scrimmage. The only reason Lee gets respect here and there is the hype that he got in the spring practice. He should go try get that year of JUCO eligibility back!!

Average too below average receivers, and an undependable running game = need for a mobile quarterback.

When the play goes to crap you need a QB to run the ball. I'll take a 5 yd scramble over a sack/int/incomplete pass anyday.

Green stays.

I appreciate the input from everyone.

It is not a Lee vs. Green thing for me at all. I am just not willing to sacrifice this season for the betterment of Cody Green at the expense of every senior on the team. Especially when my belief is Green will be a Pryor, Tyrod Taylor type that never does pass well enough for our offense to be a legitimate threat.

Hope I am wrong.

But to say we are better right now with Green is ludicrous at best. No we are not, and all I have ever asked is (as one poster stated) critique both QB the same. We aren't, Green is getting excuses and passes, whereas Lee got an over abundant of negatives for the same damn thing

Last time I checked Vince Young was someone who everyone said couldnt throw very good and he ended up being just fine in college. And it was the kids first start Tommie Frazier didnt come in and all of a sudden light it up either his first couple starts.

Actually, he did. His first three starts were against Mizzu (away), Colorado (at home) and Kansas (at home). They beat Mizzu 34-24, Colorado was ranked 8th and we clobbered them 52-7, I was at that game. Kansas was ranked in the teens and we beat them 49-7. It was his fourth start that was the debacle at Iowa St. Then they beat both Oklahoma 33-9 and Kansas St. 38-24 (played in Tokyo, Japan.).

I was at the Kansas game in 1992....but remember the Iowa State game after that?

Wasn't Lee supposed to get in the Baylor game? I could have sworn I heard Pelini make mention of it at half time. I would have sat Green for at least one series for the pick six just to let him think things over. Then Lee would have had a chance to prove himself, because the offense was going NOWHERE fast.

Wow, it wasn't long ago that many on this board were saying Cody was the second coming of Touchdown Tommie. He was supposed to be this great dual threat quarterback who could run and pass. Now I'm hearing from some of you (probably not the same people mind you) that he can barely run and he can't throw. I say this, there is a lot wrong with this offense, most of which are due to youth IMHO. Maybe lack of skill too, but I admit I'm not a good judge of potential skill on the football field. In a perfect world, we would have had more options at quarterback, but we don't. Would Lee have improved with more time? Don't know. Will Green play up to all the potential I've been hearing about? Hope so, if so it will take some time. Nobody can know the answers to these questions.

The one thing that really concerns me about this offense is the apparent lack of leadership from the student body. I say apparent because, as fans (fanatical observers), we don't know what really goes on between the players. But when you hear from the members of the great vaunted Husker teams of the past you hear about the guys who straightened each other out. Players only meetings. Guys getting in each others' faces. The only time we've seen anything like that was when an O-lineman (forget who) got in Tre Robinson's face after his fumble against ISU. After the game Bo said something like, yeah we admire his passion but we had to put a stop to that. I say don't put a stop to it. Let the natural leaders lead. Let the kids who can command respect command that respect. I was a kid once, so I know that respect for your elders only goes so far. Respect for their peers will foster the unity that this offense needs to succeed. IMHO.

:rant

Lee can't throw down field and misses recievers. Would you rather have a QB that sits the the pocket and looks like a scared puppy, or one that may not be a whole lot better of a thrower YET, but atleast isn't scared to cross the line of scrimmage. The only reason Lee gets respect here and there is the hype that he got in the spring practice. He should go try get that year of JUCO eligibility back!!

Actually, Lee throws best when he throws down field, it's the short to mid-range passes he's not good at (which is a pretty big problem for the type of offense we run).

The thing I was tired of seeing was Lee not having any pocket presence and holding on to the ball looking downfield hoping someone would get open. He was so indecisive and held on to the ball way too long. It got really annoying and put us in bad third and long positions.

Green, while he is still average to below average at throwing, makes decisions quickly. If he doesn't see something, he tucks the ball and runs. And when he runs, it looks like he is trying to get somewhere. When Lee ran, I never got that impression.

Anyone throwing Lee under the bus for performance or Green under the bus for performance needs to just calm down. Lee is seven games into his career at Nebraska. Green is one game.

The expectations some people have are WAY out of touch with reality. Most QBs don't come in all polished and ready to go. Most need time to develop. It is unrealistic to gripe about this or that aspect of their game when they have yet to come close to their potential.

:yeah

Anyone throwing Lee under the bus for performance or Green under the bus for performance needs to just calm down. Lee is seven games into his career at Nebraska. Green is one game.

The expectations some people have are WAY out of touch with reality. Most QBs don't come in all polished and ready to go. Most need time to develop. It is unrealistic to gripe about this or that aspect of their game when they have yet to come close to their potential.

:yeah x100