The much needed "SPARK"

Travis9

From the World-Herald:

The idea was to utilize Green's athleticism in the run game, though Watson said Baylor's defense took that element away early on. He'd like Green to run upward of 12 times each game.

As a passer, Green was limited to just three progressions as he scanned the Bears' secondary. The third option was always the reliable check down.

This might have something to do with him "staring" down receivers? When you only have two wideouts and the RB to progress through, it will definitely look like you are locked onto a receiver. Just sayin', maybe with a new game plan we don't see this?

And IMHO we can get all that if we cut the playbook and let these guys perfect the remainder of those plays. How can any team win with a 320 play playbook. I really think this is the root of all our evil.

Agreed sir. Why be average at best at all these plays when you could be GREAT at less than half of these. I dont think we need the option back but a offense like oregon or florida would be awesome. You dont see them doing 320 plays.

Most schools have 300+ plays in their playbook I would imagine. It sounds like a lot, but most schools have 20-30 base formations, and if you have 20 formations, 10 running plays and 10 passing plays out of each, you would have 400 plays, but if the blocking schemes aren't changed much, and the basic themes of the plays are the same, they really just need to know 50-60 plays, then then formations.

In 97 Osbone's offense had 170 base plays, not counting flipping formations or hot routes.

I have read where the D keyed on Green and that is why the zone read wasn't effective. LMAO no they didn't. He is a frosh they weren't keying on him. Our LINe is Bad but he didn't improve the zone read

From the World-Herald:

The idea was to utilize Green's athleticism in the run game, though Watson said Baylor's defense took that element away early on. He'd like Green to run upward of 12 times each game.

You were saying?

:nutz

Lee cant throw any better than green and at least he wasnt hanging his wr's out to dry. Green hit his wr's in the numbers and it was his first start. Go look at the VT game and tell me that Zac Lee can throw he missed wide open wr's all game and stares down his wr's way to long. Lee looks scared in the pocket and throws the ball away the whole game I understand you need to throw it away sometimes but he never lets someone try to make a play. At least Cody looks for contact and doesnt look scared out there.

Were we watching the same game?! Some of Green's passes missed horribly. Did you forget about the skip passes? I have to agree with Travis here on every single point. Lee has looked shaken due to horrible line play and injured RBs. He did however need to work on getting rid of the ball sooner. I see us losing more games starting Green at this point than Lee. I think the switch to Green was only done to appease fans. Baylor does not have a good team at all. If Lee had started I bet we would have put up 2 more TDs in the game as well as not having a pick 6. After the Virginia Tech game and how Oklahoma looks now, who would you pick to win the game? my how things change. The only way we could win the Oklahoma is with Lee. A confident Lee that is.

And IMHO we can get all that if we cut the playbook and let these guys perfect the remainder of those plays. How can any team win with a 320 play playbook. I really think this is the root of all our evil.

Agreed sir. Why be average at best at all these plays when you could be GREAT at less than half of these. I dont think we need the option back but a offense like oregon or florida would be awesome. You dont see them doing 320 plays.

Most schools have 300+ plays in their playbook I would imagine. It sounds like a lot, but most schools have 20-30 base formations, and if you have 20 formations, 10 running plays and 10 passing plays out of each, you would have 400 plays, but if the blocking schemes aren't changed much, and the basic themes of the plays are the same, they really just need to know 50-60 plays, then then formations.

In 97 Osbone's offense had 170 base plays, not counting flipping formations or hot routes.

It isn't so much that our playbook is huge and it is causing problems. The real issue is that we have such a variety of offensive formations/plays that there is no one thing this team is great at.

We literally run everything from double tight end sets, power I's, a variety of shotgun formations, a variety of ace Formations, and then we even ran what looked like a new formation this week every time we had a designed CG run.

I just don't see how any team can be effective at any one thing when there is so much variety. Key in on what this team is good at and then perfect/run those plays. If we are best in our ace formation, then I want to see ace 75% of the time. If we are best running double tight end sets, then have those guys out on the field for most of the game.

We have an identity as a football team, and it is do everything. Everything isn't working.

It isn't so much that our playbook is huge and it is causing problems. The real issue is that we have such a variety of offensive formations/plays that there is no one thing this team is great at.

We literally run everything from double tight end sets, power I's, a variety of shotgun formations, a variety of ace Formations, and then we even ran what looked like a new formation this week every time we had a designed CG run.

I just don't see how any team can be effective at any one thing when there is so much variety. Key in on what this team is good at and then perfect/run those plays. If we are best in our ace formation, then I want to see ace 75% of the time. If we are best running double tight end sets, then have those guys out on the field for most of the game.

We have an identity as a football team, and it is do everything. Everything isn't working.

Bingo. The problem is, Watson's offense is predicated on "taking what the defense gives us." He's stated this numerous times, and it's clear that this is his philosophy. But, as you said, we're not good enough across multiple offensive schemes to take what the defense gives us.

I fundamentally disagree with the concept of being a Jack of All Trades, because it begins from the mindset that the opponent will dictate to us what we will get. We need to be able to impose our will on our opponent, on offense and defense. If that isn't working, that's what halftime adjustments are for. But this notion that we take what they give us... No. It does not work.

Lee cant throw any better than green and at least he wasnt hanging his wr's out to dry. Green hit his wr's in the numbers and it was his first start. Go look at the VT game and tell me that Zac Lee can throw he missed wide open wr's all game and stares down his wr's way to long. Lee looks scared in the pocket and throws the ball away the whole game I understand you need to throw it away sometimes but he never lets someone try to make a play. At least Cody looks for contact and doesnt look scared out there.

Were we watching the same game?! Some of Green's passes missed horribly. Did you forget about the skip passes? I have to agree with Travis here on every single point. Lee has looked shaken due to horrible line play and injured RBs. He did however need to work on getting rid of the ball sooner. I see us losing more games starting Green at this point than Lee. I think the switch to Green was only done to appease fans. Baylor does not have a good team at all. If Lee had started I bet we would have put up 2 more TDs in the game as well as not having a pick 6. After the Virginia Tech game and how Oklahoma looks now, who would you pick to win the game? my how things change. The only way we could win the Oklahoma is with Lee. A confident Lee that is.

I did see Green throw the skip passes but alot of those were on the run. And on the slants Green hit his wr's in the numbers. You really think that Zac Lee who was had a alittle over 1 yard per rush and looks scared everytime anybody gets next to him will be able to do anything against the sooners? At least Green can take off and he broke some tackles against baylor. I backed lee at the start of the year but he had his chance and its Greens turn. Why should we struggle with a JR and then have to go through it again with Green in two years. Atleast let him see what he can do in a big game Lee got that chance and sucked every big game. And dont say the mizzou game because that was all because of are D.

And when have you seen a confident Lee against a good team? Not so far this year.

I love the debate.

I certainly want Cody to be successful. No doubt. I am not however one of the people that agree that cody has the IT or WOW factor like everyone else. I look at Tyrod Taylor and Pryor and Pat White and Tebow and don't see WOW either.

Tebow and Young were and are good but their system worked because they were stacked with talent across the board.

I just don't see Green ever being a good passer or an all around good QB.

The fact we are playing him now because he can run a little says to me that our whole offensive unit isn't worth spit.

What really irritates me though is the GREEN IS THE FUTURE comments. We still have games this season and we have a chance at the North and will make a bowl but we want to scrap this for the future.

I hope i am mistaken but i can't wait til after ou and ku to read the boards. Green is young and will make youngster mistakes, he also isn't a good passer right now and will make mistakes because of that.

those mistakes are going to cost us a game that lee would not cost us because he wouldn't have made those mistakes. sorry but believe it to be true.

I did see Green throw the skip passes but alot of those were on the run. And on the slants Green hit his wr's in the numbers. You really think that Zac Lee who was had a alittle over 1 yard per rush and looks scared everytime anybody gets next to him will be able to do anything against the sooners? At least Green can take off and he broke some tackles against baylor. I backed lee at the start of the year but he had his chance and its Greens turn. Why should we struggle with a JR and then have to go through it again with Green in two years. Atleast let him see what he can do in a big game Lee got that chance and sucked every big game. And dont say the mizzou game because that was all because of are D.

The OU Defense is begging for him to run. give me a break, just because he is a Husker does not make him super man. the few yards he may gain on the ground will not make up for the one dimensional offense we will have to run with him in the game. Not saying we win with Lee but our chances are better because he can actually throw a little

You are grossly exaggerating Lee's performance under pressure. Lee did both good and bad under pressure. At times he threw great, beautiful passes and at times he threw passes that were an abomination. He was at times a serviceable runner and at times he was tentative. This should not be surprising considering he's a first-year starter. They often struggle.

No matter how anyone slices this, the offense as a whole has struggled all year, independent of QB play. Line blocking is not independent of QB play. WRs running poor routes is not independent of QB play. RBs running tentatively is not independent of QB play. They are all pieces of the whole, and all affect each other. Lee has been less than stellar, but he is not the sole reason we lost three games. Pulling Lee for Green does not solve our other problems, as evidenced by the wholesale changes at WR this week.

I will support either Lee or Green, whichever guy starts, that's my guy. This business of throwing either one under the bus in support of the other guy is silly. They're both Huskers, and they both need support.

Bingo. The problem is, Watson's offense is predicated on "taking what the defense gives us." He's stated this numerous times, and it's clear that this is his philosophy. But, as you said, we're not good enough across multiple offensive schemes to take what the defense gives us.

I fundamentally disagree with the concept of being a Jack of All Trades, because it begins from the mindset that the opponent will dictate to us what we will get. We need to be able to impose our will on our opponent, on offense and defense. If that isn't working, that's what halftime adjustments are for. But this notion that we take what they give us... No. It does not work.

Couldn't agree more with the bolded part.

In all actuality, there is a little bit of "take what they give us" in football games, because that is where the audible comes into play, but as you said it can't be what we predicate ourselves on.

It is taking us nearly all of the 40 seconds to get a play off, which is way too long. Disciplined teams who know what they want to do against a defense have that play set and ready to go with 15 seconds left on the clock. We are set and ready to go with about 5 seconds left before we even look to audible. It wouldn't be a problem if we actually hiked the ball with less than 5 seconds left about half the time, but we hike the ball with less than 5 seconds left nearly all game. If we used to be able to get a play off in 25 seconds, why are we going down to the wire with 40?

The 40 second clock practically influences us to not impose our will. It influences us to continue to stall and analyze a defense longer than we need to.

You know, i honestly don't like that philosophy. Would i be correct if i said, that is being a very conservative OC? It seems week after week, i hear during the pregame "we need to go vertical and take shots downfield". I just haven't seen that in our offense, i see little spurts here and there, but its never consistent, the bubble screens and mid screens is what we usually see.

I don't what do you guys think, is Watson too conservative when calling the plays for the offense?

You are grossly exaggerating Lee's performance under pressure. Lee did both good and bad under pressure. At times he threw great, beautiful passes and at times he threw passes that were an abomination. He was at times a serviceable runner and at times he was tentative. This should not be surprising considering he's a first-year starter. They often struggle.

No matter how anyone slices this, the offense as a whole has struggled all year, independent of QB play. Line blocking is not independent of QB play. WRs running poor routes is not independent of QB play. RBs running tentatively is not independent of QB play. They are all pieces of the whole, and all affect each other. Lee has been less than stellar, but he is not the sole reason we lost three games. Pulling Lee for Green does not solve our other problems, as evidenced by the wholesale changes at WR this week.

I will support either Lee or Green, whichever guy starts, that's my guy. This business of throwing either one under the bus in support of the other guy is silly. They're both Huskers, and they both need support.

lets put it this way

1. Lee vs. Vtech was 13-31. there were 8 dropped passes and 4 throws that were thrown away to avoid a sack

2. Lee vs Mizzou was under 50% but in a torrential down pour we thought it best to throw timing sideline patterns in which the ball had to travel 30+ yards couple with the rain throwing off the timing. There were also 7 drops in the Missouri game.

3. The TT game. This game is about big MO and we get the ball after they score, run a pass in the flat that our WR drops for a fumble and then stands there and watches the guy score. Is that Zac's fault. There were 7 dropped balls in the TT game. TT also plays a ton of zone Defense and i saw 7-8 times where the WR didn't sit in the zone but instead kept moving thus giving the illusion of a poor pass

4. the Iowa St game. Lee lead us to the red zone time and time again. we turned the ball over inside the 5 4 times and inside the red zone 6 times. the one pick was freaky, yes he threw it low but it bounced off people like 7 times. The second pick was a little high and behind but the WR got both hands on the ball. Has to be caught. the third pick was a bad throw. Zac didn't lose 5 fumbles and he damn sure didn't drop the 5 passes that were dropped and he damn sure didn't misfire the 6 times (that i saw) where the WR once again didn't sit in the zone.

Lastly, Zac damn sure didn't miss block after block, get motion penalty after motion penalty.