Year 2 Under Bo: Why Aren't We Getting Better?

Better than what? In 2007, Nebraska finished the season ranked at #28 for scoring offense. This year, we're ranked at #54. In 2007, Nebraska finished #112 in defense. This year, we're ranked #9.

lol!

Oh yeah, 2007 had an offense that was capable of getting lots of garbage points due to all the huge blowout losses. Indeed, what a "scoring explosion" it was. Like the incredible "six" points it stormed Missouri with. Or the mindblowing "14" points it got vs those steel curtain defenses of TAM & OSU. Wow!

But yes, it was a marvel to see the terrific 31, 39 & 51 points we got when we were hopelessly massacred by USC, Kansas and Colorado. haha...like the USC game when we were down 42-10 going into the 4th qtr.....hey, it's "garbage time"!! And the final score of 49 - 31 almost looks respectable. Great!!

Don't forget that the Colorado fans said "good ridance" when Helfrich left the Buffs for Oregon. I'm sure they were also saying "I told you so" after the Duck's opening game with Boise State. I'm sure they are now complaining that Hawkins should have done more to keep him. Buff fans, Husker fans, Sooner fans.... we are all a fickle bunch!! At least we have passion.

Better than what? In 2007, Nebraska finished the season ranked at #28 for scoring offense. This year, we're ranked at #54. In 2007, Nebraska finished #112 in defense. This year, we're ranked #9.

lol!

Oh yeah, 2007 had an offense that was capable of getting lots of garbage points due to all the huge blowout losses. Indeed, what a "scoring explosion" it was. Like the incredible "six" points it stormed Missouri with. Or the mindblowing "14" points it got vs those steel curtain defenses of TAM & OSU. Wow!

But yes, it was a marvel to see the terrific 31, 39 & 51 points we got when we were hopelessly massacred by USC, Kansas and Colorado. haha...like the USC game when we were down 42-10 going into the 4th qtr.....hey, it's "garbage time"!! And the final score of 49 - 31 almost looks respectable. Great!!

We also scored 51 against Nevada, 41 against Ball State, 35 against Iowa State, 25 against Texas, and 73 against Kansas State.

Stats are stats. Saying "those stats wouldn't be like that if ____________" is ridiculous, because it isn't what happened, and stats are always skewed.

Also, Keller wasn't nearly as bad as people make him out to be. He finished the 2007 season throwing 63.1% for 2422 yards and 14 touchdowns through 9 games, a lot better than Taylor's first year.

A lot of good thoughts and insight on this topic. My concern on top of just about everything stated that lends to giving Bo more time, there is one thing that cannot be ignored is the fact that after almost two years we still lack mental toughness, aggresiveness, and discipline. We cannot continue to have all the mental mistakes on the offense or in the secondary. You don't need five star players to instill that type of discipline.

And why can we only play 2 quaters every game?? We either come out flat in the first qtr and fired up in the third or the other way around. I like Bo and Watson and hope things get figured out.

Just curious as to what you think are the reasons we aren't getting better? Unlike many, I'm not quite ready to thrown in the towel on Shawn Watson. I just think we need to simplify the playbook.

We also don't have the talent we need in some positions like receiver. We really missed Swift and Peterson this year and it shows. Guys like Brooks and Paul have simply not lived up to their potential.

It's even more frustrating when you see programs like Boise State, Cincinnati, and TCU which aren't great at recruiting sitting in the Top 10. What has the college football world come to? Parity?

Your thoughts?

My guess would be because we are getting worse??? :dunno

Just curious as to what you think are the reasons we aren't getting better? Unlike many, I'm not quite ready to thrown in the towel on Shawn Watson. I just think we need to simplify the playbook.

We also don't have the talent we need in some positions like receiver. We really missed Swift and Peterson this year and it shows. Guys like Brooks and Paul have simply not lived up to their potential.

It's even more frustrating when you see programs like Boise State, Cincinnati, and TCU which aren't great at recruiting sitting in the Top 10. What has the college football world come to? Parity?

Your thoughts?

My guess would be because we are getting worse??? :dunno

How did the Defense get worse?

Keller was not a bad QB, but he definitely was a poison to the team and his performance reflects that. It fell far short of expectations, especially against any team with a pulse. Unfortunate waste of promise and talent though.

I got the impression that the team knew when Keller came in that he'd be the starter, and that it wasn't his fault. He was just a player trying to play; the coaches were the ones making the decision.

If I'm wrong, someone talk to me about it. I've never heard anything from any player, or anyone who knows a player, that said Keller was the problem. Circumstances were the problem. Players don't control circumstances.

Keller was brought in from the word go to be the starting QB. To think otherwise would be the same as thinking the Minnesota Vikings invited Favre to come in and "try out" for the QB position. Keller was to be the quick fix for the departed Harrison Beck. Ganz was a Cosgrove recruit. Clownahan never really got behind Ganz or had faith in Ganz running the offense.

d is still weak in back 7 and thin on talent. dline is driving that train. On O for those wanting to revert to power game, they have tried but you are starting back end of the rotation guys and they make mistakes and are inexperienced. Lee? Just isn't all that, he is what he is. they should emphasize the option and let green run and use a lot of playaction passing. let him take his lumps, best chance of winning now and in future. you also should recognize how thin at the skill positions NU is. Lots of hard work and recruiting needs to be done.

Are you happy with Bo is a good question. MU fans were upset at losing NU game when they had shut out a bad o for 3 quarters. they allowed a baby qb's mistakes to hand over a loss. Now you have to question how NU coughed up a gimme win against ISU by mistakes, unbelieveable mistakes and whom do you blame? BO didn't have your wr fumble a ball for no good reason right before he crossed the goal for a easy score, or allowed isu to strip several balls out of backs hands. Or is that bad preperation? Have never seen a game like that where one team absolutely dominated game and lost. Kept saying, wait till end terrific fg kicker will win this with a long one.

After Lee's performance in last couple possesions, he showed many that he wasn't the guy. From that pt on, time for Green, win or lose. At least Bo didn't have the azz's on the sideline, think he was in shock.