Year 2 Under Bo: Why Aren't We Getting Better?

I would like to know how much the "system" changed during the Callahan years, and in the 1.5 years since.

From what I remember, Callahan never really had a "down" year for his offense after '04. He seemed to find a way to get his guys to play well enough to score points against the Iowa States and Baylors of the world, at least. Despite his obvious shortcomings as a college head coach, you have to give him that much credit.

So why do we now get the impression that the "system" requires so much experience? Zac Taylor didn't need 3-4 years in the system to be Big XII Offensive Player of the Year. And correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed that the offensive linemen were good at BOTH pass blocking and zone blocking for the running game. Has the "system" changed, or are we seeing a lack of player development on offense? If so, at what positions are we seeing this occur?

It seems like freshman running backs are picking things up well. Burkhead and Robinson have looked good so far. The bar has been set pretty low so far at WR, but I think you could argue that the young guys are playing just as well as the upperclassmen. While they could definitely stand to fumble fewer games away (literally), they probably grasp their role in the system just fine. QB is the most controversial one here, but in my opinion they could put anybody in there and get the same underwhelming results. So that leaves the offensive line. When you consider that this was Callahan's specialty, I think it makes the issue even more obvious.

Get the offensive line going, and suddenly these skill players we constantly rag on will look a LOT better, in my opinion. They need to work on their fundamentals, no doubt, but when the opposing defense has to worry about defending the run AND the pass, these backs and receivers will get more separation from defenders and will be able to make some plays.

I would like to know how much the "system" changed during the Callahan years, and in the 1.5 years since.

From what I remember, Callahan never really had a "down" year for his offense after '04. He seemed to find a way to get his guys to play well enough to score points against the Iowa States and Baylors of the world, at least. Despite his obvious shortcomings as a college head coach, you have to give him that much credit.

So why do we now get the impression that the "system" requires so much experience? Zac Taylor didn't need 3-4 years in the system to be Big XII Offensive Player of the Year. And correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed that the offensive linemen were good at BOTH pass blocking and zone blocking for the running game. Has the "system" changed, or are we seeing a lack of player development on offense? If so, at what positions are we seeing this occur?

It seems like freshman running backs are picking things up well. Burkhead and Robinson have looked good so far. The bar has been set pretty low so far at WR, but I think you could argue that the young guys are playing just as well as the upperclassmen. While they could definitely stand to fumble fewer games away (literally), they probably grasp their role in the system just fine. QB is the most controversial one here, but in my opinion they could put anybody in there and get the same underwhelming results. So that leaves the offensive line. When you consider that this was Callahan's specialty, I think it makes the issue even more obvious.

Get the offensive line going, and suddenly these skill players we constantly rag on will look a LOT better, in my opinion. They need to work on their fundamentals, no doubt, but when the opposing defense has to worry about defending the run AND the pass, these backs and receivers will get more separation from defenders and will be able to make some plays.

I dont ever remember being able to run very well during the Callahan era. As a matter of fact i thought that was the huge knock on him. Also our underclassmen hardly ever played and when they did it was 1 or 2 plays on special teams thus burning their redshirts. Zac Taylor came in as a Juco transfer and I believe he came from a system similar to what Cally was running so i think that helped.

You are correct with the O-line assessment, its just like the Defense, once the line gets going everything else falls into place. Our defense looks like championship caliber due to the outstanding front 4, if our O-line could block, it wouldnt matter who was in the backfield (i.e. Iowa, they are playing a True frosh RB)

In 2007, the offensive statistics are a bit skewed. Typically, the game was out of hand and the teams we were playing were in a prevent D for most if not all of the second half.

Also, we lit on fire after Ganz took over. Before that, we had our struggles.

Basically, Ganz and Taylor worked out for us, Keller didn't really.

Let's get real here fellas...

You don't re-build a dismantled program in a couple of years. Yeah, we had some talent left over from Clownahan which Bo did wonders with.

Yes, Stoops won big quickly at OU, but he had tons of John Blake talent and hasn't won a NC since.

It took Mack Brown a little time at TU.

Give it another year or two guys.

I do think the pass-happy offense should go, but they don't pay me the big bucks to make that call.

I dont ever remember being able to run very well during the Callahan era. As a matter of fact i thought that was the huge knock on him. Also our underclassmen hardly ever played and when they did it was 1 or 2 plays on special teams thus burning their redshirts. Zac Taylor came in as a Juco transfer and I believe he came from a system similar to what Cally was running so i think that helped.

You are correct with the O-line assessment, its just like the Defense, once the line gets going everything else falls into place. Our defense looks like championship caliber due to the outstanding front 4, if our O-line could block, it wouldnt matter who was in the backfield (i.e. Iowa, they are playing a True frosh RB)

2006 was a pretty big rushing year for NU with Brandon Jackson and Marlon Lucky. I'm too lazy to look up stats, but I believe they ran pretty well in '05, too, with Porkchop.

Excellent observations, Captain Obvious.

We have two true freshman in Green and Robinson who stepped into the system and stepped up. Neither seem daunted by the supposed complexity of this offense. I seem to remember the slam on Cosgrove was that he kept it TOO simple because he didn't trust young defensive players with anything more sophisticated than high school formations. Same slam on Callahan when he put the clamps on the NU offense against USC.

Tell this offense to "keep it simple" and you just might be surprised how much uglier this could get. You just have to find gamers and that's what the rest of this season is going to be about. Once we find them we can play to their strengths. Gotta find them in recruiting, too. Can't tell yet how Pelini grades out.

Also, whether you call it a Power I or a WCO, you will still have Zac Lee or Cody Green handing the ball to our fourth string running back and sending him into a mediocre offensive line. We ran the ball 38 times against Baylor, passed it 21 times. The notion that we simply have to return to smashmouth football and small playbooks for the simplminded is hazy nostaliga.

As someone else pointed out, we've had a hard time getting younger players real game experience because these Nebraska teams haven't had the luxury of huge leads. Years ago all the Big 8 teams had Junior Varsity squads that played each other. Kinda like the minor leagues of baseball. Great experience and the coaches got to grade the up and comers. Two years ago it felt like the Nebraska defense was the Junior Varsity thrown into the bigs. This year the offense feels like the Junior Varsity.

Next year? That's a pretty good defense coming back. And if we start the year committed to Cody Green and the players who step up this year, it will be.....uhm......better.

I think it is just because we are so young. I also think that we need a new type of offense like floridas or oregon. How many times did they say freshman or redshirt freshman or soph last week during the game. I think we need to look at our team and say that this is a learning year. But that being said so far sitting at 5-3 is not that bad for a learning year. During you know whos learning years we sucked. Bo is just getting his players in here and is now learning he needs to put some input in the offense we will be fine and a 8 or 9 win season for a learning year isnt all bad. After Chris Leak left florida they had a learning year and now look at them.

I've always hated that statement about "once Callihan gets his players here" , or now "Once Bo gets his players here..

I was under the impression that Bo was one of those coaches that could do a lot with the players he has..

(Never felt that way with Cally/Coz).

And Bo has so little to do with the Offense, I doubt any of "His players" will play anything but DT.

I'm intrigued with Oregon's Offense this year..And maybe after two or three more seasons, Scotty Frost may have enough experience under Kelly and Helfrich to take over for Watson if he leaves..(having already been coached by Walsh/Osborne/Parcells.

(I'd hope Watson is comfortable in his own abilities enough to be open to studying the Duck's Offense a little in the offseason).

I've always hated that statement about "once Callihan gets his players here" , or now "Once Bo gets his players here..

Yup. An excuse to keep dismissing poor performances.

Not that I don't believe in Bo; I do. But it has nothing to do with guys being "Bo's guys" or "Callahan's guys".

I think we are getting better to. I think Bo knows what he is doing and is building this program back up the right way. I think he is doing it so we become a top program and stay up there like the past. Not one year here than we suck then a couple years later we are good. I think they way he plays the best players and doesnt mind sitting a senior or starting a freshman and the way he redshirts players who need it will all pay off. Look at all the Juco's you know who recruited and look how that worked out other than Purify and Zac Taylor. They had two years then we would suck and when they were here we won what 9 games.

The difference between what Callahan recruited and what Bo recruits are worlds apart.

BC was looking for a quick fit to his offense. He did not care much about morals or character. He told the kids he was a quick trip to the NFL. He did not sell Nebraska as a life style.

Shatell made coments about it I think. Bo has to, in a between the lines coment.

There is a difference in what Bo sells and how he sells it. It is about living, breathing, Nebraska football, not your short stint before you make the big bucks in the NFL. See Suh and Dorsey.

When you sell the two different ideas you get two different types of people, not always, but most of the time.

Those that are looking for the quick easy way, do not find Bo's idea to be in their best interest. He see's in them a lessor person than he wants.

I was a very successful Marine Recruiter, I most likely put more people in the other three services than I did the Corps. We need the type of person that wants challenge, wants to work his but off and wants to be part of something for a life time. Bo gets that, and that is a different type of person than what BC looked for. I am sure he got some, but it was not his mission. There are differences.