Year 2 Under Bo: Why Aren't We Getting Better?

Just curious as to what you think are the reasons we aren't getting better? Unlike many, I'm not quite ready to thrown in the towel on Shawn Watson. I just think we need to simplify the playbook.

We also don't have the talent we need in some positions like receiver. We really missed Swift and Peterson this year and it shows. Guys like Brooks and Paul have simply not lived up to their potential.

It's even more frustrating when you see programs like Boise State, Cincinnati, and TCU which aren't great at recruiting sitting in the Top 10. What has the college football world come to? Parity?

Your thoughts?

not trying to be a bonehead, but it is because it is year 2. I could not grade Pelini or this staff until they get their own players in here, i am disappointed in the play of this years team so far though, but still have high hopes that they will get something turned around.

We graduated two outstanding WRs and had no depth behind them.

We lost a key RB to stupidity, then had several injuries on our other RBs.

We lost two key players on our O Line (Murtha & Slauson) and don't have the depth behind them we thought we had.

We graduated a very good game-managing QB, lost another due to a knee injury, and haven't had the time to develop another because he's been in the program less than a year. The guy we've started has struggled, being a first-year starter, and combined with our other issues on offense, he's been erratic.

On top of all that, our offensive philosophy requires precision and timing, and is predictable based on alignment, and our OC appears unwilling to compromise his offensive philosophy to the situation at hand.

All of these factors have combined to make our offense WAY more anemic than last year. With that, we have struggled.

I think the offense has to change. Peleni has done a great job with the defense, even though there is still a lot of work to do, but the offense is far behind. I'd like to see Nebraska recruit more athletes on offense and run a spread offense similar to those of Florida, Oregon, etc. I think Watson is a smart coach, but the offense does not fit the Huskers. Cody Green is in place, just surround him with athletes and I think we will start to succeed.

In this order:

1. Offensive line coaching. We may not have the pipeline, but we have athletes that could make holes if they had a good coach.

2. Lack of playmakers on offense. Last year we had an A- QB, a B+ line, a B+ group of backs and an A- group of WR/TE. This season we've had a C- QB, a C line, a C group of backs and a C- group of WR/TE. That's a significant drop at every position group.

3. Flexibility in playcalling

Watson's system works great with lots of talent at key positions like we had last year. But when we don't have as much to work with, Watson has trouble playing to our strengths. This was always an issue under Callahan as well. Other OCs are pretty good at making do with what they have. Watson has not shown that, IMO.

we are better- defense is way better!!!!

Offense graduated 1 good qb, 2 wr and 2 nfl bound lineman. We don't have plug and play talent (yet).

Also, we may be seeing that Bo needs to put a few more of his people in on the O.

Some may not realize but last week we had

true fresh qb, 2 true fresh rb's, a rsfresh and soph wr get most of the offensive PT.

I think we got a little over excited about 9-4 and what that would mean this year.

Good points made by all so far.

I think we are def getting better. It wasnt that long ago when players quit on their coach. Or when pick-your-opponent could score 40 on us. Even at times last year we werent that good, but had improved down the stretch.

Its a process. Just have to support 'em and sip on the :koolaid2: and not chug it! Sometimes expectations and hopes are way too high.

These guys are fighters no matter how many mistakes or how well it sometimes doesnt end up. I like that.

We graduated two outstanding WRs and had no depth behind them.

We lost a key RB to stupidity, then had several injuries on our other RBs.

We lost two key players on our O Line (Murtha & Slauson) and don't have the depth behind them we thought we had.

We graduated a very good game-managing QB, lost another due to a knee injury, and haven't had the time to develop another because he's been in the program less than a year. The guy we've started has struggled, being a first-year starter, and combined with our other issues on offense, he's been erratic.

On top of all that, our offensive philosophy requires precision and timing, and is predictable based on alignment, and our OC appears unwilling to compromise his offensive philosophy to the situation at hand.

All of these factors have combined to make our offense WAY more anemic than last year. With that, we have struggled.

Exactly! This season has been one of an unbelievable series of events that have ultimately brought us to our knees. The injury bug has been unbelievable, follow that up with the -8 debacle and you have a team with no confidence and no depth. On the bright side, the culmination of injuries and turnovers likely wont come in bunches like this for another 30 years. This has been one of those seasons where it seems everything is working agianst us. Oh and did i mention the rediculous amount of personal foul penalties and just penalties in general. We are good for atleast two PF calls a game, that is uncalled for.

IMO if we are not going to lend him some off the blame for what the team has done this year then how can he be credited for what was done last year. Mind you I will go on the record saying I am not a Bo guy. The one thing I will say if he knew exactly where this team was. As fans we assumed championship. Bo knew that the offense was inept and the D line (not defense) is dominant.

Before I get crushed we do not blitz becuase our D Line can get pressure without it and that's great. But every time the defense is unable to get pressure and the ball is thrown please tell me you are not holding your breath and just hoping some one is there. It always seem like the wr are open both crossing the middle and over the top. Once the ball is passed it's either their receiver's cant catch the ball or QB overthrows them. Our LB and Secondary are usually steps behind the receivers.

I believe that youth may be one contributing factor for the offense but we also have a lot of youngsters on defense. I would tend to think the offense is struggling more with a leadership issue. The offense had leaders at qb, in the line, at receivers and to some extent with Lucky at running back. But this season I have not seen any individual step up to the plate to hold everyone responsible on that side of the ball. Name me one senior player on offense that you would consider a leader? I can think of several on the defensive side.