Why is the offense doing poorly?

tmfr15

We aren't good.

And by that, I mean we have no playmakers, and the few we have are hurt.

No one has emerged at WR. A few, like Niles, show flashes, but no consistency.

No one has emerged at RB. Helu and Rex are hurt. Mendoza continues to slide down the depth chart.

No one has emerged at QB. We are going to a true freshman over a guy with all kinds of experience in the system.

No one has emerged on the line. Cotton has not produced a physical line for us.

No one has emerged at tight end. Most of the time, the tight end position is a complementary one, not one to hang your hat on. Take Dallas. They have one of the top TEs in the NFL, but until Miles Austin emerged of late, the team struggled in the pass game.

Sorry to say, it doesn't look like this situation will change. We have to hope for development and a crop of good recruits now.

Not to be rude to your judgments, but I disagree with most of what you had to say.

1) I actually agree with your first point, whole-heartedly.

2) This has a lot to do with injuries and a lack of blocking production on the offensive line more than it has to do with the RB's themselves. Even the best running backs will suffer behind poor offensive lines.

3) Lee has more experience, yes, but in the 7 games he started he did well in three of them, tanked three of them, and THREE good passes against MU in an otherwise lack luster performance. He has also proven that he does not like to throw the deep ball more than once a game and his accuracy as well as his psyche is very poor right now.

4) Partially agree. I think the problem is not physicality or know-how or Cotton, but that this team is so dynamic and multiple that they are unable to be good at any one thing, which means they are unable to execute completely on any given play.

5) No one has emerged at tight end because nobody is throwing to them. There have been many times that I have seen an open Mike McNeil or an open Dreu Young, and then for some reason whoever the QB is does not see them and ends up throwing elsewhere. Kyler Reed had a great play in the Baylor game, but was unfortunately side lined by a knee injury.

Recruiting can only get you so far. You need coaches to develop the talent. T.O. had recruiting years consistently ranked in the 25-30 range, and was still able to have one of the best teams in the nation. Right now, I think offensive philosophy and scheme is the reason this team is is failing offensively, not individual coaches or individual positions.

Here's the problem as I see it. We have no identity. Simple and true. All of the talk about being balanced and having the ability to do multiple things is great but unless you can go to your bread and butter in crunch time you are in trouble. We are yet to decide if we are a power/finesse team, running/passing team, west coast/spread team, or any combination of the above. I would much rather take a team that is really good at one thing than a team that is OK at several things. At least you know what you get with a team that has an identity.

Not to be rude to your judgments, but I disagree with most of what you had to say.

2) This has a lot to do with injuries and a lack of blocking production on the offensive line more than it has to do with the RB's themselves. Even the best running backs will suffer behind poor offensive lines.

3) Lee has more experience, yes, but in the 7 games he started he did well in three of them, tanked three of them, and THREE good passes against MU in an otherwise lack luster performance. He has also proven that he does not like to throw the deep ball more than once a game and his accuracy as well as his psyche is very poor right now.

4) Partially agree. I think the problem is not physicality or know-how or Cotton, but that this team is so dynamic and multiple that they are unable to be good at any one thing, which means they are unable to execute completely on any given play.

5) No one has emerged at tight end because nobody is throwing to them. There have been many times that I have seen an open Mike McNeil or an open Dreu Young, and then for some reason whoever the QB is does not see them and ends up throwing elsewhere. Kyler Reed had a great play in the Baylor game, but was unfortunately side lined by a knee injury.

Recruiting can only get you so far. You need coaches to develop the talent. T.O. had recruiting years consistently ranked in the 25-30 range, and was still able to have one of the best teams in the nation. Right now, I think offensive philosophy and scheme is the reason this team is is failing offensively, not individual coaches or individual positions.

You're right on the money! A system can make players look a lot more talented than they really are. Our problem is that we have no identity on offense. We don't do any one thing well. We don't know if were a running team or a passing team, a west coast offense or spread offense and were definitely not a vertical offense because every play we run goes towards the sideline. I'd at least like to say that we have a running team that can pass or a passing team that can run, but to tell you the truth I have no idea what's going to happen from week to week and I really don't think the coaches do either.

You're right on the money! A system can make players look a lot more talented than they really are. Our problem is that we have no identity on offense. We don't do any one thing well. We don't know if were a running team or a passing team, a west coast offense or spread offense and were definitely not a vertical offense because every play we run goes towards the sideline. I'd at least like to say that we have a running team that can pass or a passing team that can run, but to tell you the truth I have no idea what's going to happen from week to week and I really don't think the coaches do either.

You're spot on about the part that a system can make players a lot more talented than they really are. The option offense is one of those things.

Here is an interesting article for anybody who wants to read it. Talks about the option and how it can be used extremely effectively with average athletes. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FI...9/ai_n18609273/

We aren't good.

Sorry to say, it doesn't look like this situation will change. We have to hope for development and a crop of good recruits now.

The answer is simple

the offense just isn't as good as last season.

some of the guys that left, were harder to replace than many thought.

We aren't good.

And by that, I mean we have no playmakers, and the few we have are hurt.

No one has emerged at WR. A few, like Niles, show flashes, but no consistency.

No one has emerged at RB. Helu and Rex are hurt. Mendoza continues to slide down the depth chart.

No one has emerged at QB. We are going to a true freshman over a guy with all kinds of experience in the system.

No one has emerged on the line. Cotton has not produced a physical line for us.

No one has emerged at tight end. Most of the time, the tight end position is a complementary one, not one to hang your hat on. Take Dallas. They have one of the top TEs in the NFL, but until Miles Austin emerged of late, the team struggled in the pass game.

That's true that noone has,but that doesn't mean they can't. We haven't used the kind of plays that put pressure on the defense and makes them defend the whole field...like roll outs with a running QB...play action passes to the TE...we've only used the quick pitch a couple times that lets our blockers get numbers and allows the RB to pick a hole without fighting traffic from 7 yards behind the line. The read option has hardly been put to use with Lee running it....I thought he'd be a better runner than he turned out to be. Are we capable of hitting a five yard slant and running like hell? We have half a dozen receivers who should excell at that. Paul and Gillylen especially.

There are a lot of things that we haven't tried that would stretch the defense much more than we have.

i've seen enough of these threads. so lets put them to rest shall we?

it starts at tailback.

the injuries to Helu and Burkhead and the dismissal of Castille has made us dangerously thin at TB. none of the freshman have stepped up to fill the void.

you can blame the other units for their failures but i really look at tailback as the reason.

with out a run game you become one dimensional thus teams are dropping 7-8 guys back in coverage whenever possible. with nobody open Lee stands in the pocket for to long and gets sacked. alot.

This makes everyone look bad. worse then they actually do.

Now yes granted the ISU game was miserable and inexcusable but crap like that happens. and i think we win that game if Helu or Burkhead is 100%

its because of our on dimensionality and lee's lack of an internal clock he got benched. Green has the fabled internal clock and the skillz to make the oponent pay.

on top of that Green as we saw against Baylor tucked the ball and ran because no else it seems can to any effective means.

we get a healthy Helu or Burkhead and we can win the north. if not 6-6 would be nice.