Who has more to prove Saturday? Who wants it more?

National attention doesnt mean that theres a not a rival. But i guess how would you defina a rival. If you talk about the debockle we had hear last year with the clemson tigers and carolina gamecocks wouldnt you consider that a rival. Both teams detest eachother yet that doesnt make the top 10. The only logical reason i wouldnt consider oklahoma a rival is because its cival. It doesnt have the hate like a michigan - ohiostate, or a oklahoma - texas, or even a kansas - missouri. Those are teams that despise one another where oklahoma - nebraska is one out of respect because we were 2 good teams faceing eachother all the time. The fans consider it a rival, the coaches consider it a rival.

Buy the way vince, since you like to find top rival postings heres one for you as well.

http://fanzak.com/fzrants/Top_25_College_Football_Rivalries

I first thought that but then remembered that most Mizzou fans would much rather stomp KU in the cubes than Nebraska. So, again it wouldn't really be a consensual rivalry. At this juncture, it appears CU or no one.

I'll take no one then.

Kinda dificult to identify with Nebraskas rival. Nebraska has no in-state rivalry. Ok so then theres MU where we battle for the bell. Not sure how long that has been going on but ok. Now how about CU. CU is a Big 12 made up rivalry to replace the one we used to have with oklahoma. We dont like CU, but does anyone really like CU besides CU fans. Weve been playing oklahoma for quite a while, with the exception for the last few decades. There is no trophy or award handed out. Its just 2 great teams playing for bragging rights at to who was the best in the big 8. Both programs have experienced ups and downs. Doesnt matter whos on top now. Its still a rivalry. Oklahoma and Missouri are our rivalrys.

oklahoma - nebraska is one out of respect because we were 2 good teams faceing eachother all the time. The fans consider it a rival, the coaches consider it a rival.

maybe ;)

a homework assignment--

instead of just saying it, verify it, check some ou boards and tell me who OU fans consider rivals.

you may have to look back through a lot of pages of posts, but you'll have a real good feel for who they consider rivals.

keep in mind, a rivalry isn't just an historical matchup, or a series of games against the same team.

per wikipedia:

A sports rivalry is intense competition between athletic teams or athletes. This pressure of competition is felt by players, coaches, and management, but is perhaps felt strongest by the fans. The intensity of the rivalry varies from a friendly competition on one end to serious violence on the other that, in one case (the Football War), was suggested to have led to military conflict. Team owners typically encourage rivialries as they tend to improve game attendance and television ratings for rivalry matches, but a rivalry that gets out of control can lead to fighting, hooliganism, and rioting. Often the topic of sports rivalries is as heated and controversial as politics and religion.

:snacks:

Vince, perhaps you should define rivalry for us, I believe we may all have different ideas of what constitutes one. I am glad to see you have the intestinal fortitude to defend the onslaught of everyone disagreeing with you. Keep up the good work.

Considering I am the only one that is correct, the defense is really easy. But you'll never experience this. Here's the tip. Learn the ability to remove emotion from any topic and then learn to tell it like it is. Very few people have this ability.

Keep up the wrong work.

A rivalry game is one that can never be questioned as to whether or not it is a rivalry. NU vs. OU has tradition but since they no longer meet every year and play for the same stakes as they played for in the Big 8 days, the rivalry label is gone. Again it's a game with tradition. But today, it's solely just a game, than it is a rivalry.

Opinion: a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

Fact: Knowledge or information based on research, recurrent testing, or evidence.

also: recognized by a governing board or agency as so.

Vince, you continue to struggle with your basic 5th grade vocabulary words. You see, your opinion is that it isn't a rivalry. It is your personal view, granted you may share your appraisal with others, but it is still your personal view. The fact of the matter is that it is a rivalry because the two universities, and their collective fanbases, still hold it as a rivalry. Those would be the aforementioned governing boards. The evidence would be the amount of times it is referred to by said boards as a rivalry.

You, and the high horse you rode onto this board with, should take a long walk off of a short pier. I, and am sure I am not the only member, are sick of you de-railing every thread with your uncontrollable need to begin arguments for the sake of trying to make yourself out to be some kind of purveyor of truths. You have proven that your so called "intelligence" and correctness have as much credibility as the rumor mongers. You see, the internet is a wonderful thing. You can pretend anything you want, even if you don't properly research your early childhood education lessons in order to not sound uninformed when you do so.

Vince, perhaps you should define rivalry for us, I believe we may all have different ideas of what constitutes one. I am glad to see you have the intestinal fortitude to defend the onslaught of everyone disagreeing with you. Keep up the good work.

Considering I am the only one that is correct, the defense is really easy. But you'll never experience this. Here's the tip. Learn the ability to remove emotion from any topic and then learn to tell it like it is. Very few people have this ability.

Keep up the wrong work.

A rivalry game is one that can never be questioned as to whether or not it is a rivalry. NU vs. OU has tradition but since they no longer meet every year and play for the same stakes as they played for in the Big 8 days, the rivalry label is gone. Again it's a game with tradition. But today, it's solely just a game, than it is a rivalry.

Fact: Knowledge or information based on research, recurrent testing, or evidence.

Vince, you continue to struggle with your basic 5th grade vocabulary words. You see, your opinion is that it isn't a rivalry. It is your personal view, granted you may share your appraisal with others, but it is still your personal view. The fact of the matter is that it is a rivalry because the two universities, and their collective fanbases, still hold it as a rivalry. Those would be the aforementioned governing boards. The evidence would be the amount of times it is referred to by said boards as a rivalry.

You, and the high horse you rode onto this board with, should take a long walk off of a short pier. I, and am sure I am not the only member, are sick of you de-railing every thread with your uncontrollable need to begin arguments for the sake of trying to make yourself out to be some kind of purveyor of truths. You have proven that your so called "intelligence" and correctness have as much credibility as the rumor mongers. You see, the internet is a wonderful thing. You can pretend anything you want, even if you don't properly research your early childhood education lessons in order to not sound uninformed when you do so.

Gee, I'm sorry me being right and dealing in facts upsets you so. Whether you like it or not, I don't care. Just deal with it. If you don't want to me correct you, then stop being wrong. It's that simple. But then I'm sure you'll have an opinion on that. I'm even more certain, based on your consistency, it will be wrong.

This was just sent to me from somebody here on the board in response your post.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

They're right. You win. Congrats!

Keep up the wrong work.

Gee, I'm sorry me being right and dealing in facts upsets you so. Whether you like it or not, I don't care. Just deal with it. If you don't want to me correct you, then stop being wrong. It's that simple. But then I'm sure you'll have an opinion on that. I'm even more certain, based on your consistency, it will be wrong.

:facepalm:

Your consistent lack of understanding of the premise of fact and opinion befuddle me.

:laughpound

People arguing about what a rivalry is... gets me every time. It could mean a hundred different things to a hundred different people. Vince's assertion that a rivalry only exists when it "can never be questioned" is just silly, because IT CAN ALWAYS BE QUESTIONED. With millions of fans across the country, someone is always going to question what is or isn't a rivalry (yes, even NU-OU in the 70s and 80s, I guarantee you could find some fans on both sides that would say, for whatever bizarre reasons, that it wasn't a rivalry). Thus, under that criteria, there are no rivalries and never have been.

If you go by the dictionary definition ("competing for the same object or goal as another, or who tries to equal or outdo another; competitor") then every game is a rivalry. So that doesn't work. A rivalry, in college football, is just whatever each individual defines it as. There will never be one agreed upon definition for all fans. So create whatever definition works for you and go with it. My take: A college football rivalry is between two teams that play each other every season and have had a good number of exciting games in recent years, with each team winning multiple times. Colorado is the only team that qualifies under my definition. We've had some amazing games with CU over the past dozen seasons. 99, 00 and 08 stand out as some of the most exciting Nebraska games I've ever gotten to watch.

Of course, some will say Colorado isn't a rival because we've dominated the overall series 47-18-2. That's fine. Their definition includes the entire history of the series, while mine does not. I respect that. Until the NCAA decides to define rivalry in their rulebook (as in, never), there is no right or wrong answer. So play nice and stop pretending that there is. :wasted