Tackle football: showdown in Lincoln could determine nation’s best DT

While I believe Suh is better than McCoy, let's also remember that McCoy is a Junior while Suh is a Senior. Compare 2008 Suh to 2009 Suh.

If McCoy comes back next year he could be an absolute beast, just like Suh.

Some of Suh's stats from last year:

Total tackles: 76

Tackles for Loss: 19

Sacks: 7.5

I'm too lazy to dig up more but, ~halfway through the season, his numbers this year are pretty much on par. Both years are quite a bit different than McCoy's. Again, I'm not saying anything other than Suh's year this year is on par with his stats last year. They play in 2 different systems and have 2 different functions but if you are looking at those stats mentioned Suh is quite a bit ahead of McCoy.

Numbers alone mean nothing. You have to put them in context. You have to know who each guy is facing, and how they do against the competition.

That's true but there are a lot more factors than that to consider. How good were the lineman they were playing, styles of offense the opposition uses, help at other positions, number of plays on defense...

you are trying to split hairs.

those arguments could be used by those dumb OU folks too in defense of McCoy.

However -- It is reasonable to think in general terms that higher rated teams have better players.

i.e. the offensive lineman for vatech is likely better than the lineman at fla atlantic.

another generality-- the defense for vatech is likely better than fla atl.

etc. etc. etc.

generally speaking nu should have a better shot at beating fla atl than say Oregon, or Alabama.

in other words, it stands to reason that suh OR mccoy would have a tougher day vs Alabama than fla atl.

make sense?

doesn't for ONE SECOND mean that suh isn't a great player.

he is!

but it does mean his stats come easier than mcCoys because they faced a different SOS.

its not splitting hairs at all. SOS does not direct relate to the talent mccoy and suh are facing. it relates to the team as a whole. what if a team has a great offensive line but a bad QB, defense and special teams?

Another comment:

"Gerald McCoy is testimony to the virtue of spending four years in college, before going to the NFL. Nobody in the NFL has had more fun the past two years than Gerald McCoy has had on campus. He's one of the greatest kids to come through the program. While I hope and expect him to have a long and dominant NFL career, I am glad that he chose to fulfill the four years of his scholarship."

um, so is Suh. one of the better testaments to the virtue of spending 4 years in college due to the fact that he was a guaranteed top 10 pick in last year's NFL draft. I'm sure McCoy was too, but give Suh some credit here.

I definitely agree that only folks in Oklahoma would think McCoy is on the same level as Suh. Granted, i have not seen to much of McCoys play but I can almost be certain from watching Suh every week that noone is on his level. anywhere.

McCoy was a redshirt in 2006, thus, he is a Senior in college, Junior on the field. Perhaps you are familiar with the practice. And the point of the comment was that McCoy is a big man on campus--he has been the president of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, he is involved in a ton of other student organizations, he does a lot of publicity for the school (watch the OU commercial during the game, that's McCoy holding the ballerina at the end), and he is very supportive of the other athletic teams--you'll often see him at women's basketball or volleyball games, cheering like a maniac. He kind of reminds me of Wayman Tisdale, just very upbeat, always a smile, trys to set a good example for the little Sooners who look up to him. I don't think it was meant to be a slight on Suh, just saying McCoy is a great kid, praising him for coming back and finishing school before going on to NFL glory, as I'm sure they both will.

And I have no idea who is better, but McCoy is a beast, and you underestimate him at your own peril. I'm sure your coaches won't make that mistake.

So the guy who made this original comment knows he is coming back next season then? I doubt he does. From OU's website:

93 McCoy, Gerald 6-4 297 DT JR Oklahoma City, Okla. (Southeast HS)

:facepalm:

:facepalm::facepalm::rollin

It kind of shows how far we have fallen to be in this p*ssin contest of my DT can beat your DT, when we are playing Oklahoma not watching a sumo match between Suh and McCoy. There is not a great deal of difference in the two great players. There is not a lot to brag about unless we win the game. Otherwise it's just plain silly. Both will be high first round players and we know that Suh will be gone next year and I'm guessing so will McCoy though he could come back.

The point is that if we lose badly what we know as a team, Suh didn't beat OU and neither did the Big Red. That IS ALL THAT MATTERS. I get really tired of the "we outgained this team" or "if not for this play or that play" or "our running back is better" or "our defense it better" you name it. All that matters is winning and that is all you will remember a week from now. GBR

It kind of shows how far we have fallen to be in this p*ssin contest of my DT can beat your DT, when we are playing Oklahoma not watching a sumo match between Suh and McCoy. There is not a great deal of difference in the two great players. There is not a lot to brag about unless we win the game. Otherwise it's just plain silly. Both will be high first round players and we know that Suh will be gone next year and I'm guessing so will McCoy though he could come back.

The point is that if we lose badly what we know as a team, Suh didn't beat OU and neither did the Big Red. That IS ALL THAT MATTERS. I get really tired of the "we outgained this team" or "if not for this play or that play" or "our running back is better" or "our defense it better" you name it. All that matters is winning and that is all you will remember a week from now. GBR

Ummm....I think you are reading into this a bit more than you should. The only thing we are discussing is who is a better DT. There is no element of moral victory here.