Astounding Statistic

knapplc

Tell me if the stats lie  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I got curious about something yesterday and took a look at the stats today. Tell me if there's something here or if I'm just blowing smoke.

We've played five games in the Big XII. Through five games, our opponents have attempted 190 passes. We have a pretty darned good D Line, with four guys capable of wreaking havoc against anyone they face in this conference. But, out of 190 pass attempts, we've only gotten 17 sacks, or one sack every 12 times the QB drops back.

If these guys are so good, why aren't they getting to the QB more? Could it be that our opponents are doing a lot of holding? No, it can't be, because our opponents only get called for holding once every 24 pass attempts.

So that means that this D Line, one of the best we've ever had, playing against some rather weak (injured, inexperienced, whatever) O Lines, can't muster up sacks more than once every dozen pass attempts, and our opponents barely even have to hold to keep these allegedly good D Linemen off their QB.

Or is it that they're just not calling holding, hardly at all?

Here's the breakdown:

Game	ATT	Holds	Sacks
MO	   43		4		2
TT	   32		0		5
ISU	  19		2		1
BU	   38		2		7
OU	   58		0		2
TOT	 190		8	   17

Averages (per game):

Pass Attempts - 38

Holds Called - 1.6

Sacks - 3.4

Holds called per attempt - 1/23.75 attempts

Sacks per attempts - 1/11.17 attempts

To clarify something - I put the sack numbers in there to show that we are getting to the QB. Regularly. So it's not as if opponents have no reason to hold our guys - we're on top of their QB, and they have to do something.

I saw a LOT of holding in the OU game. At one point Crick blew by his guy and was going unimpeded to the QB, except that the Guard had his left arm across Crick's shoulders holding on to Crick's right shoulder pad.

No penalty.

:dunno:

Someone mentioned it in another thread, but Suh was seen on the sideline telling the coaches about the holding by the OU line. There seems to be inconsistent calls from the crews this season. Conspiracy? probably not, just piss poor officiating.

I am happy with the way our line played as far as penalties though, Ricky kept his head and I don't recall any false starts.

I'm giving the refs the benefit of the doubt, just this once.

Why, because there is some form of holding on almost every single play in a college football game, it is just up to the refs to determine what is really holding and what isn't.

I think the Big 12 refs have been bad this year, but of all the penalties they call, holding is generally the one they get right.

I think 17 sacks is pretty good. Teams are doing a lot of quick passing routes against us to negate our pressure.

Remember the throat slash incident? I still believe it was what BC said, a "I've had it up to here" thing, but we led either the Big 12 or nation in sacks that year and I don't believe our opponents were called for holding all year. You'd think that opponents would have had a reason to hold then also. Or could that be why we had so many sacks, O-lines just let us run past to their qb's? (sarcasm)

Those of you voting "it's about right," I'd like to hear your take on this.

The most glaring statistics, to me, are the Tech and Oklahoma games. 90 combined pass attempts, seven combined sacks (so clearly we were getting pressure), and zero holds called.

I do not have a stat to go by, but I think the TT line finds a way to hold without getting called for holding. It seems like its been like that with them for a few years now. As far as OU, I'm not sure, but I see what you are getting at. I know that the first part of the year, penalties were a hot topic in the B12, coaches were sidestepping questions about the number of penalties that had been called. So maybe the refs are trying to find that 'happy medium'...

0 holding calls to 90 pass plays raises some eyebrows though...