Scary numbers

Captain K

In 16 seasons of watching college football, I have never seen a team with such massive disparity between the offense and defense. Our offense is so inept that the coaches could not even trust our quarterback to throw a simple slant route against OU's defense. Our pass blocking is terrible, and even when the line manages to hold up for 3-4 seconds, our QB refuses to pull the trigger on any routes longer than five yards. Our running game is inconsistent and our biggest weapon, Mike McNeill, isn't even used.

Our defense, on the other hand, is a legit top ten defense and appears to be getting better as the season progresses.

That is truly amazing. Those are some scary figures! How can an offense change so much from the past 1 or 2 years when we have the same O coordinator? A new starting QB, RB, and WR's will accomodate for some of that, but ti shouldn't create a completely anemic offense. There are some questions that need to be answered from within the program.

That is truly amazing. Those are some scary figures! How can an offense change so much from the past 1 or 2 years when we have the same O coordinator? A new starting QB, RB, and WR's will accomodate for some of that, but ti shouldn't create a completely anemic offense. There are some questions that need to be answered from within the program.

We also lost very good linemen in murtha and slausin two rbs in lucky,two wrs in peterson and swift and Two qbs in spano and ganz and that relates to most of it.

Those numbers don't surprise me. Amazingly when you look at the offensive rankings we are not all the way down at the bottom - but about half to three-quarters the way down the list (I would hate to be supporting any of those teams under us!), but I think that is because of the numbers we put up in the non-conference schedule...because I think the Big XII teams have our offense figured out - there is none.

They have to start recruiting hard on the offensive side of the ball (especially linemen). All I see is defensive recruits. If they don't, this problem is not going to go away anytime soon.

makes me wonder if some of it has to do with just losing confidence, and maybe the good on good in practice is good for our D but our O doesn't get good looks that way?

I think it's all about confidence. I heard someone on the radio say how our defense was playing a lot faster than even a year ago. It's not that anyone really got faster. It's that the defense is out there playing rather than being tentative and thinking. I think this is where our offense is right now. They're too busy analyzing and thinking rather than just playing. Other than maybe Helu, it seems everyone from the OL to the QB is too busy thinking about what they should be doing rather than just doing it. A lot of it is probably inexperience, but some of it has to be lack of confidence.

Just wonder what happens when the number one offense goes against the number one defense in practice?

Does Suh and company let them make first downs just to get their spirits up. :dunno

I used to laugh to myself when you would hear how the offense was looking good because they were moving the ball against Cosgrove defense in practice.

makes me wonder if some of it has to do with just losing confidence, and maybe the good on good in practice is good for our D but our O doesn't get good looks that way?

I think it's all about confidence. I heard someone on the radio say how our defense was playing a lot faster than even a year ago. It's not that anyone really got faster. It's that the defense is out there playing rather than being tentative and thinking. I think this is where our offense is right now. They're too busy analyzing and thinking rather than just playing. Other than maybe Helu, it seems everyone from the OL to the QB is too busy thinking about what they should be doing rather than just doing it. A lot of it is probably inexperience, but some of it has to be lack of confidence.

One thing I see is the tackling has gotten a lot better. Last year they would miss 4 or 5 open field tackles on one play. Now they are making those tackles and flying to the ball. Usually there are at least 2 or 3 guys there by the time there is contact. :)