Wats wrong with the option?

dergibog

Why doesn't the option work for this offense?

1. O-line allows too much defensive penetration

2. Lee moves too far from the line of scrimmage. That could be because of the D-line in the back field, but he does it on every play. That messes up the position for Helu to get the pitch

3. There's no fullback fake to keep the D-line and linebackers honest. The D can just fly to the outside and stuff the QB or Helu.

Wats should just $hitcan the option (including the read option) and put in the fullback, pound the ball and run play action IMO.

The problem with our option is that it is still a relatively new concept that this team hasn't run that often in game time situations. Prior to a month ago, how often do you think this team really practiced the option? Not often.

But I do agree, the option would be more deadly if our fullback was a threat. The problem, however, is that he isn't a threat. They don't hand the ball off to the full back ever, so a Triple Option is relatively useless right now since the only threat our fullback gives us is an extra blocker and a pass catcher in the flat.

And Kudos to the option pass last night. K-State was all over that one and the play didn't even get started.

Yes, we all saw how well that option pass worked last night. Deadly for us.

He made a bad read and didn't see the corner creeping up, otherwise that play is money when set up well. Did you not watch the Kansas game or the last X number of years of Husker football?

There is nothing wrong with the option pass, and it's great when it is run successfully. Our o-line just continues to prove, however, that they can't consistently block well enough for any given play to work more than once.

I've seen a lot of options run in my day, but this team is so awkward that it doesn't even look like an option. From their positioning, half the time I don't know if they're running an option, because they look like they're running straight off the field to grab a Gatorade. Everything is so wrong about how it looks. Watch some old footage of Gill and Rozier for the "textbook option," and you'll see what I mean. It may set up an option pass, but it is sheer agony to witness the x # of lame attempts before the pass comes about.

I've seen a lot of options run in my day, but this team is so awkward that it doesn't even look like an option. From their positioning, half the time I don't know if they're running an option, because they look like they're running straight off the field to grab a Gatorade. Everything is so wrong about how it looks. Watch some old footage of Gill and Rozier for the "textbook option," and you'll see what I mean. It may set up an option pass, but it is sheer agony to witness the x # of lame attempts before the pass comes about.

To me, the option looks too lateral on the o-line. It seems like the o-line instead of pushing up and out, continue to just push out. This makes it nearly impossible Zac to find a gap to cut up or for him to find a reasonable pitch man, because by the time Zac realizes he needs to pitch, he is deathly close to the sideline.

Ya the option pass is a deadly play, but I would rather not waste five plays and potentially five drives bc we usually get behind by running it, to have one play in the third or fourth quarter go for long yardage. I wouldn't mind seeing us run the option pass a handfull of times a game, at least that would probably back the safeties off early in the game.

Again, you weren't complaining last week. The defense called the perfect play to stop that play action. It happens. I am under the impression that no play in college football works 100% of the time.

Nobody is trying to say this team runs a great option. Wats and Lee moved the ball and played to win. No style points, but a W.

This