Texas shouldn't have gotten a 'second' chance

Not sure if this has been posted yet. Article from Fox Sports is below. Lots of people coming up to me because they know I am a Husker fan in So. CA asking for my reaction to the game. I would say about 80% of the people I talk to think we won and got jobbed. Yes, people want to talk about our horrible plays kicking the ball out of bounds and the horse collar (yes, I agree those were horrible plays and I was screaming when we did them). At that time I thought we were giving the game away. But then you know what? Texas gave the game back by horrible clock management and lost the game...it was over...clock at 0:00. Everyone expected Texas to win because they were within FG...but you know what they are human and made a bad play just like we had done earlier in the drive. No one wants to talk about that now...it was the biggest meltdown in clock management I have ever seen! But we all know what happened...refs bailed them out. I really have never had anything against Texas (honestly) and have never much liked Alabama...but if Alabama and Texas goes down, I hope Alabama completely destroys them.

Amen to this article.

Link:

The voters should do what the Big 12 game officials didn't have the guts to do.

That is, put Texas Christian (or Cincinnati, for that matter) into the BCS national championship game.

It's too bad it won't happen. The referees have an excuse: They work for the Big 12 Conference, which desperately needed Texas to avoid an upset by Nebraska.

The voters have no excuse. They still get to choose among undefeated teams to put in the national championship game against Alabama. But chances are, they will choose Texas.

Four times over the years, the Big 12 has screwed itself out of the national title game with a huge upset in the conference championship game. They weren't going to allow that to happen again, no matter how dominant Ndamukong Suh was for Nebraska.

Look, I don't hate the Longhorns. And I don't root for TCU, or Cincinnati ... or Nebraska. I don't hate the BCS, and I don't necessarily even crave a playoff tournament.

But that ending of the Big 12 championship game was just wrong.

Here's exactly what happened: There were 24 incomplete passes in the Texas-Nebraska game. On every one of them — every single one (I know, I went back and checked in slow motion) — the game clock ticked off that second, and sometimes another. That's how it always works in this and every other game: There's a bit of a human element (the eye sending the message to the brain, the brain relaying it to the finger on the clock button, the electronic impulses prompting the clock to stop).

And so, when Colt McCoy inexplicably decided to run a play with six seconds remaining instead of calling timeout or, well, showing any sense of urgency, he rolled out and threw the ball away, way out of bounds, as the clock ticked down to 0:00.

Nebraska rushed the field, Bo Pellini's team seemingly in possession of a sensational 12-10 triumph.

But since Texas coach Mack Brown wanted a second placed back on the clock, and because the Big 12 wanted to have a second placed back on the clock, and because all of the six major BCS conferences HAD TO HAVE a second placed back on the clock, and because the referees figured they might never have a chance to work for the league ever again if they do this wrong ... that's how it went.

So, unlike every other similar play in the game, the officials overruled the clock and put 0:01 back up on the scoreboard, and Texas ran the field goal team out there and Hunter Lawrence kicked it through.

So, since the refs felt the need to overrule the clock, the voters can always overrule the game officials. It ain't right: Texas has no business being in the title game.

i didnt think it was fare personally. there was a second or two left but the clock managers had already run the clock down. we were at a stadium in texas so tu already had the home field advantuge. the rules say that the ref cant put the correct amount of time on the clock in that situaton. rules are rules and tu should have lost because of the clock manager. plane and simple.

But what's happened happened. Sucks, but they are not going to change it back. They can't.

Man I wish I could see a replay. When they played it over it looked as if there were 0:01 left on the clock as it went out of bounds...and the ball hit something before it hit the ground (in response to Klatt's comments).

But until I see something that contradicts the clock operator being the rule, I don't see how that was in any way a good thing to do by the refs.

Unfinished Business.

I hope we don't play down to Arizona though. That would be a huge letdown for this program. We have to just take our lumps and move on, and not feel like we should be in a "better" place.

Anyone know for sure when the clock stops? When the ball hits out of bounds or when the officials blow the whistle?

My head hurts from reading all the 'conspiracy' threads, but I am assuming the play could not have been reviewed just on the clock alone. If there was a reviewable play, the clock adjustment could have been justified. On WOWT's website, they had a pretty good shot of the play and you could hear the whistle blow after the ball hits out of bounds.

Guess what I'm getting at, the play shouldn't have been reviewed in the first place. The clock ran down and that was it. Right?

Its not like they would rip the trophy from Mack's grip but, just saying....

This is just ridiculous!

Its the Big 12 championship, of course thier gona review the last play of the game if it descides who wins!

If that was us driving down the field, we would have wanted a review too, it would have been Pelini asking the refs for a review.

I hated losing just as much as every other Husker fan, but we beat ourselves. From the no offense, to not scoring a TD in the red zone, to the out of bounds kick, to the horse collar, we beat ourselves, and Texas won fair and square.

Despite how much our defense dominated, we had no offense and thats why we lost.

No game is ever been decided by one play, and its wrong to complain about that one play (especially when it was the right call).

U did see the replay didn't u? Sadly there was one second left.

Lets just accept this for the good game it was, and plan for revenge at home next year;)

This is just ridiculous!

Its the Big 12 championship, of course thier gona review the last play of the game if it descides who wins!

If that was us driving down the field, we would have wanted a review too, it would have been Pelini asking the refs for a review.

I hated losing just as much as every other Husker fan, but we beat ourselves. From the no offense, to not scoring a TD in the red zone, to the out of bounds kick, to the horse collar, we beat ourselves, and Texas won fair and square.

Despite how much our defense dominated, we had no offense and thats why we lost.

No game is ever been decided by one play, and its wrong to complain about that one play (especially when it was the right call).

U did see the replay didn't u? Sadly there was one second left.

Lets just accept this for the good game it was, and plan for revenge at home next year;)

+1. Get over it. We sounds like a bunch of cry babies. Yet if the shoe was on the other foot, we'd be celebrating.

I feel like I've seen enough heart-breaking losses to last a lifetime. Definitely lost some respect for Mack Brown too, trying to play it off like they meant to do that, feeling entitled to one more second no matter what kind of stupid shennanigans they pulled... McCoy and Brown got a stroke of luck that no person should ever get. I think their nine lives are up.

Did the refs even make a call on the field? I feel like they just immediately said "the previous play is under review."

It's one thing if there's some controversy. But if there are legitimate claims that the officials stole the game by usurping the rule book, then this has to be serious. This team worked too hard and played too well to get screwed out of a title. I wonder if this week will bring about any sort of investigation.

It's one thing if there's some controversy. But if there are legitimate claims that the officials stole the game by usurping the rule book, then this has to be serious. This team worked too hard and played too well to get screwed out of a title. I wonder if this week will bring about any sort of investigation.

Nope.. Not IMO.. It is wrapped up in a nice neat bow.

Homecooked...Big XII style.

with a little bit of NCAA gravy on one side and BCS biscuits on the other.

No way they wanted Alabama playing Cincinnati for all the marbles.

sure, we could have put this out of sight by scoring 1 touchdown, or running off more clock, but we got screwed in the worst possible way.

should there be an investigation? you bet there should, if only to ensure that this kind of crap does not happen again.

one last thing, NE should move heaven and earth to make sure that the championship game is not always held in TEXAS, it's too much of an advantage when any of the Texas teams get into the game.

I have watched the last play a few times, a couple in slow motion and there is no way, not one single small chance that the ball hit anything before it hit the ground. the ball did hit the ground with one second left but the whistle blew with no time left on the clock. we 100% got this game stolen from us. UT should have had at least 4-7 holding calls on their o line. holding calls that were so obvious suhs jersey was damn near ripping. two interference calls that never should have been made, one that directly resulted in three points. then the last play. another thing I found odd is that the ref that made the announcement of the play being reviewed never really consulted anyone he almost immediately announced the play was being reviewed. it's almost like he saw the clock and thought oh sh#t UT lost we have to review this. it's one thing to get beat by the better team that day but it's a whole different story to get the W taken right from you.

the ball did hit the ground with one second left but the whistle blew with no time left on the clock. we 100% got this game stolen from us.

Then there should be 1 second put back on the clock. Whistle has nothing to do with it. The point of reviewing it is to determine when the whistle should have been blown and clock stopped.

I was much more upset by 2 pass interference calls than the clock review.