Texas shouldn't have gotten a 'second' chance

Sorry guys, I'm as big a Nebraska fan as anyone on this forum, but there was one second left on that damn clock, and I knew that the officials would get the call right on looking at the replay.

One fvcking second........:(

What should piss everyone off most about this game is that an IDIOT kicker couldnt keep the ball in bounds on the kickoff.....how easy is it to kick the ball straight ??? The blame goes to him, and he should be thrown off the team for it

Also, its time to get a new offensive coordinator in here, as well as a new quarterback, because Zac Lee isnt the real deal

You're new so maybe people will go easy on you, but that is an absurd statement. Welcome to the board. :thumbs

Sorry guys, I'm as big a Nebraska fan as anyone on this forum, but there was one second left on that damn clock, and I knew that the officials would get the call right on looking at the replay.

What should piss everyone off most about this game is that an IDIOT kicker couldnt keep the ball in bounds on the kickoff.....how easy is it to kick the ball straight ??? The blame goes to him, and he should be thrown off the team for it

Also, its time to get a new offensive coordinator in here, as well as a new quarterback, because Zac Lee isnt the real deal

You're new so maybe people will go easy on you, but that is an absurd statement. Welcome to the board. :thumbs

Very absurd. Maybe Vinman just started watching Husker football at the CCG game? :dunno

Very absurd. Maybe Vinman just started watching Husker football at the CCG game? :dunno

Maybe you guys are missing something.... Vinman18... Idiot Kicker....

Not sure if this has been posted yet. Article from Fox Sports is below. Lots of people coming up to me because they know I am a Husker fan in So. CA asking for my reaction to the game. I would say about 80% of the people I talk to think we won and got jobbed. Yes, people want to talk about our horrible plays kicking the ball out of bounds and the horse collar (yes, I agree those were horrible plays and I was screaming when we did them). At that time I thought we were giving the game away. But then you know what? Texas gave the game back by horrible clock management and lost the game...it was over...clock at 0:00. Everyone expected Texas to win because they were within FG...but you know what they are human and made a bad play just like we had done earlier in the drive. No one wants to talk about that now...it was the biggest meltdown in clock management I have ever seen! But we all know what happened...refs bailed them out. I really have never had anything against Texas (honestly) and have never much liked Alabama...but if Alabama and Texas goes down, I hope Alabama completely destroys them.

Amen to this article.

Link:

The voters should do what the Big 12 game officials didn't have the guts to do.

That is, put Texas Christian (or Cincinnati, for that matter) into the BCS national championship game.

It's too bad it won't happen. The referees have an excuse: They work for the Big 12 Conference, which desperately needed Texas to avoid an upset by Nebraska.

The voters have no excuse. They still get to choose among undefeated teams to put in the national championship game against Alabama. But chances are, they will choose Texas.

Four times over the years, the Big 12 has screwed itself out of the national title game with a huge upset in the conference championship game. They weren't going to allow that to happen again, no matter how dominant Ndamukong Suh was for Nebraska.

Look, I don't hate the Longhorns. And I don't root for TCU, or Cincinnati ... or Nebraska. I don't hate the BCS, and I don't necessarily even crave a playoff tournament.

But that ending of the Big 12 championship game was just wrong.

Here's exactly what happened: There were 24 incomplete passes in the Texas-Nebraska game. On every one of them — every single one (I know, I went back and checked in slow motion) — the game clock ticked off that second, and sometimes another. That's how it always works in this and every other game: There's a bit of a human element (the eye sending the message to the brain, the brain relaying it to the finger on the clock button, the electronic impulses prompting the clock to stop).

And so, when Colt McCoy inexplicably decided to run a play with six seconds remaining instead of calling timeout or, well, showing any sense of urgency, he rolled out and threw the ball away, way out of bounds, as the clock ticked down to 0:00.

Nebraska rushed the field, Bo Pellini's team seemingly in possession of a sensational 12-10 triumph.

But since Texas coach Mack Brown wanted a second placed back on the clock, and because the Big 12 wanted to have a second placed back on the clock, and because all of the six major BCS conferences HAD TO HAVE a second placed back on the clock, and because the referees figured they might never have a chance to work for the league ever again if they do this wrong ... that's how it went.

So, unlike every other similar play in the game, the officials overruled the clock and put 0:01 back up on the scoreboard, and Texas ran the field goal team out there and Hunter Lawrence kicked it through.

So, since the refs felt the need to overrule the clock, the voters can always overrule the game officials. It ain't right: Texas has no business being in the title game.

WOW! i try to laugh at this stuff because it is so -- well laughable -- but then i realize that you and many of your bigdead brethren actually believe this crap. is the sky blue over nebraska? this has now went from funny to sad---take a reality break!!!

Not sure if this has been posted yet. Article from Fox Sports is below. Lots of people coming up to me because they know I am a Husker fan in So. CA asking for my reaction to the game. I would say about 80% of the people I talk to think we won and got jobbed. Yes, people want to talk about our horrible plays kicking the ball out of bounds and the horse collar (yes, I agree those were horrible plays and I was screaming when we did them). At that time I thought we were giving the game away. But then you know what? Texas gave the game back by horrible clock management and lost the game...it was over...clock at 0:00. Everyone expected Texas to win because they were within FG...but you know what they are human and made a bad play just like we had done earlier in the drive. No one wants to talk about that now...it was the biggest meltdown in clock management I have ever seen! But we all know what happened...refs bailed them out. I really have never had anything against Texas (honestly) and have never much liked Alabama...but if Alabama and Texas goes down, I hope Alabama completely destroys them.

Amen to this article.

Link:

The voters should do what the Big 12 game officials didn't have the guts to do.

That is, put Texas Christian (or Cincinnati, for that matter) into the BCS national championship game.

It's too bad it won't happen. The referees have an excuse: They work for the Big 12 Conference, which desperately needed Texas to avoid an upset by Nebraska.

The voters have no excuse. They still get to choose among undefeated teams to put in the national championship game against Alabama. But chances are, they will choose Texas.

Four times over the years, the Big 12 has screwed itself out of the national title game with a huge upset in the conference championship game. They weren't going to allow that to happen again, no matter how dominant Ndamukong Suh was for Nebraska.

Look, I don't hate the Longhorns. And I don't root for TCU, or Cincinnati ... or Nebraska. I don't hate the BCS, and I don't necessarily even crave a playoff tournament.

But that ending of the Big 12 championship game was just wrong.

Here's exactly what happened: There were 24 incomplete passes in the Texas-Nebraska game. On every one of them — every single one (I know, I went back and checked in slow motion) — the game clock ticked off that second, and sometimes another. That's how it always works in this and every other game: There's a bit of a human element (the eye sending the message to the brain, the brain relaying it to the finger on the clock button, the electronic impulses prompting the clock to stop).

And so, when Colt McCoy inexplicably decided to run a play with six seconds remaining instead of calling timeout or, well, showing any sense of urgency, he rolled out and threw the ball away, way out of bounds, as the clock ticked down to 0:00.

Nebraska rushed the field, Bo Pellini's team seemingly in possession of a sensational 12-10 triumph.

But since Texas coach Mack Brown wanted a second placed back on the clock, and because the Big 12 wanted to have a second placed back on the clock, and because all of the six major BCS conferences HAD TO HAVE a second placed back on the clock, and because the referees figured they might never have a chance to work for the league ever again if they do this wrong ... that's how it went.

So, unlike every other similar play in the game, the officials overruled the clock and put 0:01 back up on the scoreboard, and Texas ran the field goal team out there and Hunter Lawrence kicked it through.

So, since the refs felt the need to overrule the clock, the voters can always overrule the game officials. It ain't right: Texas has no business being in the title game.

WOW!! i try to laugh at most bigdead posts blaming everything from God to the media for the many many cornhusker losses of late but this has gotten so sad that it is hard to laugh anymore. your dimensia has taken the fun out of the ineptness of the cornhusker players and coaches. is the sky blue in your world!? i suppose it was the schedulers' fault you got a spanking from iowa state this year!

I'm a Penn State fan by birth, but a Longhorn fan by marriage. Believe me, I understand the frustration you Nebraska fans feel. I know it's difficult, maybe impossible just 24 hours after the game, to have some objectivity. But a lot of the comments are a bit over the top. The complaints about the clock at the end of the game always revolve around whether the officials had "the right" to put the second on the clock, never whether it was the correct thing to do or not. Clearly, there was at least 1, if not 2 seconds left when McCoy's pass went out of bounds. You talk about how great your defense was, and it was fantastic, but fail to realize that Texas had twice as many yards against your fantastic defense, as your offense had against the UT defense. Think maybe the Texas D might have had something to do with that? UT had triple the third down conversions, nearly 4.5 x as much passing yardage, 3.5x as many first downs, and 4 minutes more time of possession against your fantastic defense. You complain about the bad calls, yet seem to forget the kickoff that was called down on the UT 1 yard line when the replay clearly showed the UT kick returner did not have possession of the ball when his knee was down. That gave you the field position for one of your field goals. You gnash your teeth about the breaks, and fail to remember the UT receiver dropping a wide-open pass he could have walked into the end zone with, while Denard was still back upfield looking for his jock.

Bottom line is, the calls went both ways, the breaks went both ways. There was no grand conspiracy, the game wasn't rigged, and the officials didn't hatch a last-second coupe to make sure Texas got to the BCS championship game. Nebraska fans are renowned for being among the most fair-minded and classy in college football. I ask you to keep it that way. You've got a great team to be proud of, and that will be a force to be reckoned with in the Big 12 next season.

you sound like the rest of the classless, idiot, cocky, ignorant, and plain rude longhorn fans i came across in Dallas this past weekend. your statements have little to no validity when looked at more closely, as many have already pointed out. i only take the time to point out this: after the bad call with the downed texas player at the 1, texas moved into nebraska territory before an incredible pick by dejon gomes set up the Huskers final drive. Yet, the bad call set up our field position for the field goal???? not to mention the fact that the player probably wouldn't have gotten to the 10 anyway. congratulations on your bs tainted win, and having a coach with the refs in his back pocket.

hey pal, I've been a fan probably longer than you've been alive

I'm not sure what topic this might belong on, and I'm sure not going to start a new one, and it's kind of relevant to some of the discussion in this topic, sort of, so here goes ... I was just listening to Sports Nightly and a caller asked this: has anyone reviewed how long it took to start the clock after the play started? If the time keeper's very human reaction time allowed the clock to run down after the play ended, did that same human have a similar delayed reaction time in starting the clock when the play started? Has this been reviewed? The host (Lane Grindle I believe) thought it was an interesting take on the matter. It's definitely an angle I had not thought of. IF it's been posted in another thread, I apologize.

yes, I'm a soccer player, so whats wrong with that ??

I know I could have kept that kick in bounds when it was most needed.......

yes, I'm a soccer player, so whats wrong with that ??

I know I could have kept that kick in bounds when it was most needed.......

I think your time on this board is probably up already. Blaming the loss on the kicker? Really? Did you see the offense? sh#t happens. He made a mistake. Just poor timing.

I'm a Penn State fan by birth, but a Longhorn fan by marriage. Believe me, I understand the frustration you Nebraska fans feel. I know it's difficult, maybe impossible just 24 hours after the game, to have some objectivity. But a lot of the comments are a bit over the top. The complaints about the clock at the end of the game always revolve around whether the officials had "the right" to put the second on the clock, never whether it was the correct thing to do or not. Clearly, there was at least 1, if not 2 seconds left when McCoy's pass went out of bounds. You talk about how great your defense was, and it was fantastic, but fail to realize that Texas had twice as many yards against your fantastic defense, as your offense had against the UT defense. Think maybe the Texas D might have had something to do with that? UT had triple the third down conversions, nearly 4.5 x as much passing yardage, 3.5x as many first downs, and 4 minutes more time of possession against your fantastic defense. You complain about the bad calls, yet seem to forget the kickoff that was called down on the UT 1 yard line when the replay clearly showed the UT kick returner did not have possession of the ball when his knee was down. That gave you the field position for one of your field goals. You gnash your teeth about the breaks, and fail to remember the UT receiver dropping a wide-open pass he could have walked into the end zone with, while Denard was still back upfield looking for his jock.

Bottom line is, the calls went both ways, the breaks went both ways. There was no grand conspiracy, the game wasn't rigged, and the officials didn't hatch a last-second coupe to make sure Texas got to the BCS championship game. Nebraska fans are renowned for being among the most fair-minded and classy in college football. I ask you to keep it that way. You've got a great team to be proud of, and that will be a force to be reckoned with in the Big 12 next season.

you sound like the rest of the classless, idiot, cocky, ignorant, and plain rude longhorn fans i came across in Dallas this past weekend. your statements have little to no validity when looked at more closely, as many have already pointed out. i only take the time to point out this: after the bad call with the downed texas player at the 1, texas moved into nebraska territory before an incredible pick by dejon gomes set up the Huskers final drive. Yet, the bad call set up our field position for the field goal???? not to mention the fact that the player probably wouldn't have gotten to the 10 anyway. congratulations on your bs tainted win, and having a coach with the refs in his back pocket.

Hey Penn State fan, I have two words for ya'. Mike McCloskey

Hey i agree there was 1 second on the scoreboard clock that they showed us. But my problem is the ref is the one who keeps the time so why would they have to go to a review? Plus when did the official blow the whistle to call the play dead. Plus is that even reviewable? The officials gave us a bullsh#t excuse saying it is reviewable, but I haven't seen that rule anywhere. Just throwing that out there...and Adi shouldn't get the blame cause he slipped and this was his only mistake that I have ever seen.

I also like how Texas fans are still running their mouths...I really hate Texas. And on another tangent I like how people say support the Big XII, blah blah blah. Nah f*ck the Big XII. The only teams I really give a crap about is Nebraska and Georgia Tech. Alabama is now the enemy for Texas so now Alabama is my friend. I only care about what Nebraska and Georgia Tech does that is it. The whole Big XII could lose all of their bowl games and I could care less as long as my Nebraska team wins. The rest of the teams can go suck a big one!