What's wrong with college football?

Mods move this thread if need be.

I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are about the current college football format and the bowl championship series. It seems to me that there are too many schools going undefeated and claiming that they deserve a shot at the NC. The system is setup to put the 2 best teams on the field to compete for the NC. That being said, teams like BSU and Cincy and TCU are left out because of their strength of schedule, even though they went undefeated. So, why do these teams schedule the way they do? Do they not know that they don't have a chance at a NC even if they go undefeated? Are they hoping major conference teams lose early? I just don't understand why one would be satisfied with just winning all of your games, and a BCS bowl. Big deal. Why go to one of these schools?

Well they schedule that way because they're in a bad conference and nobody wants to play them due to there being little reward and only consequence(Oregon).

Am I the only one who chuckles when I see an add for the rose bowl and they still call it the granddaddy of them all. It's really pathetic how they pretend BCS bowls are still relevant. they only get high ratings because they're the only game on tv at the time.

Well they schedule that way because they're in a bad conference and nobody wants to play them due to there being little reward and only consequence(Oregon).

Am I the only one who chuckles when I see an add for the rose bowl and they still call it the granddaddy of them all. It's really pathetic how they pretend BCS bowls are still relevant. they only get high ratings because they're the only game on tv at the time.

It even goes beyond the BCS. Look what has happened to Mizzou this year. They are the 4th place Big XII team and have ended up in teh 8th place bowl because both the Insight and Independence Bowl choose 6-6 teams over an 8-4 team (and in Iowa State's case, a team Mizzou beat head-to-head). Same thing is happening in the ACC because of the Gator Bowl wanting to honor Bowden. How unfair to these athletes that their performance on the field appears to mean little in the bowl selection process. Really, what other sport dictates their post season based more on factors other than play on the field/court?

As if all of that wasn't bad enough, the bowl committees can't even be consistent and have not problem being hypocritical. Look at this gem from the Orange Bowl this year: “You have a great respect for both programs, they had tremendous years,” Poms said. “But in the end, the head-to-head victory Iowa had in State College was impressionable. In the end, they were three spots ahead in the BCS poll.

“We just felt in the end, Iowa really deserved it. They won it on the field and they won it in every comparative that led to the BCS rankings. So we were unanimous in our position that Iowa was the best choice.”

2007 Final BCS Poll and Head-to Head:

Team

1. Ohio State

2. LSU

3. Virginia Tech

4. Oklahoma

5. Georgia

6. Missouri

7. USC

8. Kansas

Mizzou 36 - Kansas 28

Poms quote in 2007: "A two-loss team compared to a one-loss team was probably the most pressing thing that we looked at," Orange Bowl CEO Eric Poms said.

As much as i dislike Missouri, that whole deal is bullsh#t, complete bullsh#t. It should work just like the video games, This bowl brings in the #3 team in that conference, Team A is 3rd place in the conference, so theyre goin to This Bowl. DUN

Don't think it can't happen to Nebraska either. I always thought you guys had a good reputation for travel, but I have a friend on the Fiesta Bowl Committee who told me getting "stuck" with Nebraska was their worst case scenario if you won the Big 12. They didn't think Nebraska would bring many fans, which tells me that the bowl committee doesn't actually base their decisions on facts.

It even goes beyond the BCS. Look what has happened to Mizzou this year. They are the 4th place Big XII team and have ended up in teh 8th place bowl because both the Insight and Independence Bowl choose 6-6 teams over an 8-4 team (and in Iowa State's case, a team Mizzou beat head-to-head). Same thing is happening in the ACC because of the Gator Bowl wanting to honor Bowden. How unfair to these athletes that their performance on the field appears to mean little in the bowl selection process. Really, what other sport dictates their post season based more on factors other than play on the field/court?

As if all of that wasn't bad enough, the bowl committees can't even be consistent and have not problem being hypocritical. Look at this gem from the Orange Bowl this year: “You have a great respect for both programs, they had tremendous years,” Poms said. “But in the end, the head-to-head victory Iowa had in State College was impressionable. In the end, they were three spots ahead in the BCS poll.

“We just felt in the end, Iowa really deserved it. They won it on the field and they won it in every comparative that led to the BCS rankings. So we were unanimous in our position that Iowa was the best choice.”

2007 Final BCS Poll and Head-to Head:

Team

1. Ohio State

2. LSU

3. Virginia Tech

4. Oklahoma

5. Georgia

6. Missouri

7. USC

8. Kansas

Mizzou 36 - Kansas 28

Poms quote in 2007: "A two-loss team compared to a one-loss team was probably the most pressing thing that we looked at," Orange Bowl CEO Eric Poms said.

I've seen things posted in the wrong thread before, but to get the wrong board entirely........Wow! ;)

Bah. It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. For one thing the schools that travel well are usually rewarded (like us). Plus nobody wants to see most of the games unless their team is playing or they just can't get enough college ball (like me). So I love seeing strange matchups all clustered throughout the holiday....it's like fourth of july where all the fireworks start going crazy at the end.

What's wrong with the people that are in charge of the bowl picking who they want within limits. If everything were set in stone you'd have issues...say a rematch from earlier in the season that wasn't even close.

I still say the bowl is for the kids to play one last time....seniors/juniors leaving early. I mean think about some of the classics we might have missed out over the years with a playoff (and of course classics you may have seen...point is there's no real perfect fix).

Might not have seen the 03 OSU Miami upset or the 06 rose bowl.

I think things are better now then they were if anything the rose bowl no longer hogs big10/pac10 teams from playing the big 12 (8). I still wish we could've played PSU in the 95 orange and michigan in the 98 orange.

As much as i dislike Missouri, that whole deal is bullsh#t, complete bullsh#t. It should work just like the video games, This bowl brings in the #3 team in that conference, Team A is 3rd place in the conference, so theyre goin to This Bowl. DUN

Don't think it can't happen to Nebraska either. I always thought you guys had a good reputation for travel, but I have a friend on the Fiesta Bowl Committee who told me getting "stuck" with Nebraska was their worst case scenario if you won the Big 12. They didn't think Nebraska would bring many fans, which tells me that the bowl committee doesn't actually base their decisions on facts.

Please! The Fiesta Bowl would have been so lucky to have Nebraska as a team. Do you know how many Husker fans are down here? I would bet we come pretty close to outnumbering ASU fans. There are like 4 bars in the Phoenix area that are almost completely Husker fans on game days. And they think the TCU and Boise State fans are going to pack the stadium as quickly?! Please!

Tell your friend he can take his Tostitos© and jam 'em where the sun don't shine. There's your bean dip for ya'.

Please! The Fiesta Bowl would have been so lucky to have Nebraska as a team. Do you know how many Husker fans are down here? I would bet we come pretty close to outnumbering ASU fans. There are like 4 bars in the Phoenix area that are almost completely Husker fans on game days. And they think the TCU and Boise State fans are going to pack the stadium as quickly?! Please!

I agree with you completely. I was shocked when he said that to me. I even mentioned how many Nebraska fans live in Phoenix. I travel to Phoenix a lot and am quite familiar with the area. He said the Fiesta Bowl Committee would actually count that against Nebraska, because they want to choose teams that will bring people from out of town and spend multiple nights in a hotel. To me the whole exchange proved how arbitrary the bowl committees are. It is clear that Nebraska is one of the better teams at traveling, yet they didn't want you guys in their bowl because they have the wrong perception based who knows what.

Your friend is probably the only person on that committee who thought that. The Fiesta Bowl would have loved to have us again:

“We’ve talked about it a lot,” said John Junker, president of the Fiesta Bowl. “It would be a thrill to have the Cornhuskers. They’re really a part of our whole heritage. We owe a lot to the University of Nebraska.”

The ratings would be high and the stadium would be packed. They'd get to watch a fantastic defense show their stuff and our offense wouldn't burn out any light bulbs on their scoreboard. The Fiesta Bowl loves us. Always have.