The Watson effect

Twodocs

Btw, does Watson have any ardent supporters left? It's pretty much divided at this point between fire him now, fire him at the end of the season, and let's see what happens next year. Does anyone fall into a category that isn't one of those three?

It would be helpful if you would provide a list of posters to whom this was directed. It'd be a shame to see the wrong person respond.

You crack me up knapplc. As to us gameplanning around our playmakers.....WHERE THE HELL HAS MIKE MCNEILL BEEN!!!!!!

You crack me up knapplc. As to us gameplanning around our playmakers.....WHERE THE HELL HAS MIKE MCNEILL BEEN!!!!!!

:)

I would love to hear an explanation for why McNeil has been underutilized. He's averaging two receptions and 18 yards per game this year. He has 200 fewer yards receiving. That is staggering.

Just did this research and posted in the stats thread, but I got the YPG and PPG numbers for Watson and wanted all to see without starting a new thread (see how I did that, newbies?):

Look at '08 and '09 at NU and CU years:

Average Total Offense: 62nd, 374 ypg

Average Scoring Offense: 59th, 27.2 ppg

CU 2001 and NU last year are the only years his offense scored more than 30 ppg. I don't know about you, but middle of the road in these two categories is not good enough for me at Nebraska.

Here is Watson's claim to fame this season.

1. His offense does nothing well.

2. His players do not progress in his system.

3. His 'system' itself is unstable, and has now been drastically altered two years in a row.

4. His players commit ungodly amounts of penalties.

5. And now, a new one, he cannot seem to recruit for his amorphous system.

For the Watson defenders in the crowd, remember I'm not calling for the man's head, but give me your reasons for thinking he's going to get this turned around. If the offense were just bad it would be one thing. But 'bad' fails as a descriptor in this situation.

I've given my reasons many times on the board and stopped bothering a long time ago. No offense, but I avoid your threads for my own reasons, so I'm not going to start up again for this post.

No offense, but it is offensive. If you've got a problem with me PM me instead of making insinuations. And if you're satisfied in your own viewpoint and feel no more discussion on anything is needed, quit taking pot shots without supporting yourself with evidence. I don't know you so I can't have a low opinion about you, but tactics like this aren't impressive to anyone.

Btw, does Watson have any ardent supporters left? It's pretty much divided at this point between fire him now, fire him at the end of the season, and let's see what happens next year. Does anyone fall into a category that isn't one of those three?

Fire his butt. His offence didnt do jack this year,and they was good last year what happened this year?? Why wait till after next year when we have a killer D?? Thats like saying hey D we are gonna have 2 have u protect 3 points here and their

Fire his butt. His offence didnt do jack this year,and they was good last year what happened this year?? Why wait till after next year when we have a killer D?? Thats like saying hey D we are gonna have 2 have u protect 3 points here and their

I can't remember, were we wanting to fire Watson last year??

Castille off the team

Swift and Pederson gone

A line that has been questionalbe in my opinion for a long time ....even last year

New qb that has everything on his shoulders.....do we miss Gantz? I do.

Do you think we have the kind of talent up front that we had in the 90's >>>even if we did...I don't remember very many that started early. I remember redshirted Juniors and 5th year seniors across the front >>>pluged in with another set the following year....a pipline!

Castille off the team

Swift and Pederson gone

A line that has been questionalbe in my opinion for a long time ....even last year

Do you think we have the kind of talent up front that we had in the 90's >>>even if we did...I don't remember very many that started early. I remember redshirted Juniors and 5th year seniors across the front >>>pluged in with another set the following year....a pipline!

Don't compare our players to the 90s teams, then. Compare our players to UConn. Compare our players to Kentucky. Compare our players to Illinois. All of these teams are near us in SOS and near us or way higher than us in scoring offense. But we should have better players than these guys, right? And our coaches should be as good or better than these guys, right?

The problem is, we're not seeing the results we should be seeing for the profile of team we have and the quality of coaches we should be able to get.

Yes, Watson did great last year. His offense was in the top 15 in scoring. But we can't have such tremendous swings in production like this. We can't have years where we can barely move the ball. We can't.

Castille off the team

Swift and Pederson gone

Don't compare our players to the 90s teams, then. Compare our players to UConn. Compare our players to Kentucky. Compare our players to Illinois. All of these teams are near us in SOS and near us or way higher than us in scoring offense. But we should have better players than these guys, right? And our coaches should be as good or better than these guys, right?

The problem is, we're not seeing the results we should be seeing for the profile of team we have and the quality of coaches we should be able to get.

Yes, Watson did great last year. His offense was in the top 15 in scoring. But we can't have such tremendous swings in production like this. We can't have years where we can barely move the ball. We can't.

This.

I was one that supported him, and said we needed to allow him another year. I am leaning towards cutting ties and allowing Pelini to find the guy he wants... that has the same passion that he has.

The point is, we have brought in plenty of talent to the offensive side of the ball. Guys that plenty of high profile programs wanted. But they aren't producing.... We cant fall this much, even in a "rebuilding year". We have the resources to just reload. I don't mean top 10 every year, but I think within the top 50 every year shouldn't be a lot to ask, especially with a dominating Defense.

But let me also remind you. Bo is new to the head coaching game... this is a learning experience for him. Maybe his practice routines aren't helping the O? we don't know... we have to trust in the administration and trust in Bo to make the decisions.

But let me also remind you. Bo is new to the head coaching game... this is a learning experience for him. Maybe his practice routines aren't helping the O? we don't know... we have to trust in the administration and trust in Bo to make the decisions.

This may be what most people aren't understanding right now.

Bo was hired to be the head coach of Nebraska, but more specifically, he was hired to fix the defense and all of its atrocities. When he got here, it was obvious that it became his major goal. He left Watson to deal with the offense, and he took care of the defense. In essence, even though Bo has control over the whole team, it's almost like having two different HC's.

Bo let Wats stay on as OC is because T.O. liked Watson and because Bo didn't want to have to deal with both fixing a horrible defense and dealing with an all new offensive coordinator and philosophy. It's a stepping stone. First, get the defense fixed. Second, focus on the team as a whole. Bo is transitioning into focusing on the team as a whole, and he is still learning the differences between being a coordinator and being an HC. Why do you think he enjoyed yelling and getting in the face of everyone when he got here? Because coordinators can do those things and get away with it in the media, HC's can't.

Bo is going to evaluate the offense this upcoming year. I'm 90% sure that Watson will be here come the start of the 2010 season unless he gets a head coaching opportunity, which at this point I'm sure many of you would be thrilled about. But Bo, like the rest of us, realizes whatever was going on this year won't fly in upcoming years. Whether he forces Wats to revamp the offense or fires Wats, that remains to be seen.

Castille off the team

Swift and Pederson gone

To your first question I wasn't asking for anyone to be fired but having Watson and his westcoast offense leave would have made me very happy.

Does anyone expect to have a year like 07 again with our defense? Why is it acceptable to have an offensive year that matches the ineptitude of the 07 defense? Think about that.

Callahan's players have been built into Bo's system after 2 years and look amazing. Watson was here helping recruit this offense and we had to change our offense drastically. No excuse for this.

Changes need to be made. If they decide watson is good but it's the line or the recievers or both then so be it. Something needs to change.

This kid is a personal family conection to Watson hope mit is nolt true or we in deep do do for years :dunno

"[Comment From MelissaMelissa: ]

I live in St. Louis & ESPN radio here is reporting that Tyler Gabbert will decommit from Nebraska today. Have you heard anything?

Wednesday December 9, 2009 12:09 Melissa"