The Watson effect

Twodocs

Does anyone expect to have a year like 07 again with our defense? Why is it acceptable to have an offensive year that matches the ineptitude of the 07 defense? Think about that.

Callahan's players have been built into Bo's system after 2 years and look amazing. Watson was here helping recruit this offense and we had to change our offense drastically. No excuse for this.

Changes need to be made. If they decide watson is good but it's the line or the recievers or both then so be it. Something needs to change.

I think they are getting away with it because we won 9 games. The '07 team barely made it to 5. If you win, you are still safe, even if you are winning ugly. It's just a matter of how long Bo will let us keep winning ugly.

This morning on Schick and Nick on 1620 The Zone it was reported that Gabbert decommitted. That makes two in one week. Something might have to change and change soon.

But we also gained a LB and an OL commit today. We didn't need to get a QB commit this year, but taking at least one every year is usually a good choice.

But we also gained a LB and an OL commit today. We didn't need to get a QB commit this year, but taking at least one every year is usually a good choice.

Are those JUCO players? And if so, does this mean the OC rumor has been confirmed?

Yes. They are both from Fort Scott, Kansas.

I think this shows exactly why Watson should be gone. I know everyone wants to give credence to last years offense, but it took him half of the year last year (remember MissU and Va Tech?) to figure out what his offense could do, and he never did this year. Also, there was a previous post showing how mediocre to bad his offenses have been in his years as an OC. If his offense needs 5 yr. SRs at all the skill positions to be effective, then you will get what you have always got (the definition of insanity??) with Watson – typically poor offense, with a one-year wonder every 6 or seven years. I’m tired of hearing about Watson getting “his recruits” these kids were recruited to run the WCO. His play calling is horrible most of the time (calling pass plays on first and goal from the 1 yard line while calling run plays on first and goal from the 10, only to kick a FG, to running the option with a qb who doesn’t do it well, to not running the qb with Green).

He should have been blown out with Gilmore 2 years ago. If the O-line can’t get it together next couple of years, Cotton should be sent packing, too. I think that with all of the injuries on the O-line, Barney should have another year or two to make improvements.

IMO, the only 2 offensive coaches that should not be on the hot seat are Brown and Beck. The WRs have been pitiful since Gilmore has been here, the offense as a whole has been average at best, the qb’s (with the exception of Ganz’s 16 or whatever games started) have not progressed, even with Lee’s 3rd year in the system. Even kids being recruited can see that the O has no identity, no leadership, no direction.

I agree with your assessment hunter. The TE's are fine and the backs look good but other than that. I mean is it really a coincidence that the oline plays so erratic and both qbs look unprepared and jittery and there doesn't seem to be a wideout capable of getting open. That pass to kinney in the texass game was the most impressive route i've seen all year (turning and running to the ball so he could slip by the closing defender).

does this offense perpetuate a feeling that a career will be wasted?

YES it the offense/ system may change from nothing to something

It just depends on when Watson and or Pellini get fired...and a new OC comes in

I would not bet a career either

This was the one recuit that I was excited about--- he is a Macklin--- I just hope he does not land with another Big 12 team...

Same thing happened with Rucker's brother under Watson and Callahan.

I'm pretty sure this is what Missouri is telling him (Carter) also. This is how they probably land him.

We will spend the rest of the Pelini years having to win with defense.

does this offense perpetuate a feeling that a career will be wasted?

YES it the offense/ system may change from nothing to something

It just depends on when Watson and or Pellini get fired...and a new OC comes in

I would not bet a career either

This was the one recuit that I was excited about--- he is a Macklin--- I just hope he does not land with another Big 12 team...

I'm pretty sure this is what Missouri is telling him (Carter) also. This is how they probably land him.

We will spend the rest of the Pelini years having to win with defense.

And that's ...bad? Hmmm.. Defense wins championships. All we need is a shred of offensive production and we win the big12 this year. Or perhaps you'd prefer all the blowout losses last season and in 07 as long as we put up 30 points/game.

You think it's a coincidence that the two teams fighting for the north were both defensive minded?

I think this shows exactly why Watson should be gone. I know everyone wants to give credence to last years offense, but it took him half of the year last year (remember MissU and Va Tech?) to figure out what his offense could do, and he never did this year. Also, there was a previous post showing how mediocre to bad his offenses have been in his years as an OC. If his offense needs 5 yr. SRs at all the skill positions to be effective, then you will get what you have always got (the definition of insanity??) with Watson – typically poor offense, with a one-year wonder every 6 or seven years. I’m tired of hearing about Watson getting “his recruits” these kids were recruited to run the WCO. His play calling is horrible most of the time (calling pass plays on first and goal from the 1 yard line while calling run plays on first and goal from the 10, only to kick a FG, to running the option with a qb who doesn’t do it well, to not running the qb with Green).

He should have been blown out with Gilmore 2 years ago. If the O-line can’t get it together next couple of years, Cotton should be sent packing, too. I think that with all of the injuries on the O-line, Barney should have another year or two to make improvements.

IMO, the only 2 offensive coaches that should not be on the hot seat are Brown and Beck. The WRs have been pitiful since Gilmore has been here, the offense as a whole has been average at best, the qb’s (with the exception of Ganz’s 16 or whatever games started) have not progressed, even with Lee’s 3rd year in the system. Even kids being recruited can see that the O has no identity, no leadership, no direction.

Couple of comments.

First, I agree with your assessment for the most part. I have been saying for a long time now that any system that promotes starters to be 4th or 5th year guys is not a good system. Guys only really start to come along when they are seniors. I mean, if you go across our offense it is extremely tough to find a guy that has produced beyond expectations. Burkhead may be that guy, but he's still right around what I expected him to do this year minus the injury.

However, I don't have a problem with Watson's play calling. Every play is a great play if it works. If it doesn't, then people get pissed about it. It's just too circular. Our players just aren't executing.

I dont knoe if it was watsons idea or not to use green during the texas game ,but doing not 1 but 2 qb sneaks backed up was not a good call.Both qbs look great running the ball thoe I cant say nothing bad their.I'd be surprised if watson comes back next year thoe. I dont think people wanna see a good offense every other year,even if he did come back next year and lets say the offense was good, he still should go thoe.Just my oppion.

Martin Rucker was part of the 2003 Mizzou recruiting class. How does that have anything to do with Watson and Callahan? Watson was at Colorado and Callahan was with the Raiders. That one is on Frankie thinking that since the kids last name was Rucker he would just sign with NU and they didn't have to recruit him that hard.

Martin Rucker was part of the 2003 Mizzou recruiting class. How does that have anything to do with Watson and Callahan? Watson was at Colorado and Callahan was with the Raiders. That one is on Frankie thinking that since the kids last name was Rucker he would just sign with NU and they didn't have to recruit him that hard.

Hey, what do facts have to do with this anyway! LOL

Please do not use Coach Frank Solich's name in the same sentence with Callahan.

Hey, what do facts have to do with this anyway! LOL

Please do not use Coach Frank Solich's name in the same sentence with Callahan.

Agreed.

Frank was no TO but he was Knute Rockne relative to Callahan.