TWO BIG TIME JUCO COMMITT!!!!!!

EZ-E

to clarify, i think it's likely that he would join as a GA, if anything. i don't think we'll be running off any assistants and GA is usually the first step in the D1 coaching ladder. that said, i don't know anything about this guy or his connections to the staff.

He has connections to both Carl and Jamrog. I think he would get an Assistant Coach Job. I think the GA is usually the first Coaching Job for brand new coaches, in this case Jeff has a fairly long coaching resume already at a level above HS. I think this is more akin to taking a coach from a lower level to be a part of your staff.

Similar rumors have surfaced before. If Wats and Gilmore are let go and Barney is retained, that is a serious crime. It's like we don't even care about winning.

Give Barney a break. Our OL was the walking wounded all year this year. The cupboard was bare towards the end of the Callahan experiment. Two freshman in Sirles and Qvale are said to have walked onto campus and immediately been in the two deep rotation. Whenever that happens to an OL you know that they lack depth.

But I am sure a former NFL lineman knows nothing about the OL. :dunno

Jeremy Crabtree from Rivals just said that these 2 guys may be the top 2 guys in this class. He said that he was talking to another "big 12" coach who was in on these guys, and that coach said that both of these kids will step right in and play right away at NU. Crabtree also said that NU doesn't recruit juco guys to sit the bench. Furthermore, he said that as soon as the plane landed in Lincoln after the Big12 championship that coaches were in a car headed to Kansas to get these guys.

Similar rumors have surfaced before. If Wats and Gilmore are let go and Barney is retained, that is a serious crime. It's like we don't even care about winning.

Give Barney a break. Our OL was the walking wounded all year this year. The cupboard was bare towards the end of the Callahan experiment. Two freshman in Sirles and Qvale are said to have walked onto campus and immediately been in the two deep rotation. Whenever that happens to an OL you know that they lack depth.

But I am sure a former NFL lineman knows nothing about the OL. :dunno

The cupboard was not bare. On the contrary, at the end of the Callahan experiment, we had a lot of guys in that cupboard, including a freak we lost to non-football reasons (Jaivorio), and two guys who are on NFL rosters right now (Slauson, Murtha). A fourth who left the year Callahan left, is a starter and a tremendous asset for the undefeated Saints (Nicks). Since then we've seen guys either not progress much or slowly regress, and Barney come out and criticize one of the best OL coaches in the business on the way he taught his o-line, and then take things in a different direction.

Maybe that direction worked in 1990, but not in today's landscape.

There are lots of former NFL players who wouldn't be good coaches...I don't see how his success as a player changes anything else.

That said, I admit I have not been very forgiving in my comments about Barney. Part of it is a reaction and frustration venting at everyone's venom against Watson.

Heres a video of LaVonte David from his high school days I believe in Miami. I like his speed and that he's not afraid to come up from the safety position to make a play. He amazing speed on his blocked punt.

EDIT: Sorry about the song I'm not to fond of it...just a quick fix and muting it lol

vdLFcRRz_us

Jeremy Crabtree from Rivals just said that these 2 guys may be the top 2 guys in this class. He said that he was talking to another "big 12" coach who was in on these guys, and that coach said that both of these kids will step right in and play right away at NU. Crabtree also said that NU doesn't recruit juco guys to sit the bench. Furthermore, he said that as soon as the plane landed in Lincoln after the Big12 championship that coaches were in a car headed to Kansas to get these guys.

My guess is that K State wanted these guys badly.

The cupboard was not bare. On the contrary, at the end of the Callahan experiment, we had a lot of guys in that cupboard,

this is a post i put together in another thread, but it seems applicable here:

i don't want to trash our guys, but i would say the following players left by the previous staff are what i would consider "quality":

murtha

slauson

mike smith

hickman

williams

jaivario

the following still have potential to be quality:

caputo (walk-on)

marcel

the rest are just guys:

dj jones

mike huff

andy christensen

barrett

so, they left us with 6 quality linemen. SIX! it's our bad luck that of those 6, two were seniors and the rest have struggled with injuries this year (with jaivario being obviously the biggest blow).

the 2007 recruiting class netted us exactly TWO linemen total: jaivario (stud) and marcel, a project that still needs more time in the weight room.

the 2006 class had the following:

nicks

cruz barrett

victory haines

ricky henry (didn't qualify, resigned in 2008)

hickman

williams

dj jones

mike smith (recruited as a defensive end)

giving us a juco that was pretty good for one season (nicks) and THREE quality high school linemen in smith, hickman and williams - a good class. from what i can tell, callahan's ONLY good class of OL.

the 2005 class had the following:

pasteur

picou

picou

roark

giving us exactly ZERO quality linemen.

not exactly an impressive record of success in leaving us a "stacked" offensive line. yes, they appeared to have some good ones lined up for the 2008 class, but who's to say they would have stuck anyways, given the sinking ship that was cally's last season.

Slauson and Hickman were both in the 2005 class.

At signing time that class seemed to have pretty decent OL recruits. Roark was coming along nicely until injury, right? And Rodney Picou seemed to be a stud. Slauson and Hickman were both solid performers.

The cupboard was not bare. On the contrary, at the end of the Callahan experiment, we had a lot of guys in that cupboard,

this is a post i put together in another thread, but it seems applicable here:

i don't want to trash our guys, but i would say the following players left by the previous staff are what i would consider "quality":

murtha

slauson

mike smith

hickman

williams

jaivario

the following still have potential to be quality:

caputo (walk-on)

marcel

the rest are just guys:

dj jones

mike huff

andy christensen

barrett

so, they left us with 6 quality linemen. SIX! it's our bad luck that of those 6, two were seniors and the rest have struggled with injuries this year (with jaivario being obviously the biggest blow).

the 2007 recruiting class netted us exactly TWO linemen total: jaivario (stud) and marcel, a project that still needs more time in the weight room.

the 2006 class had the following:

nicks

cruz barrett

victory haines

ricky henry (didn't qualify, resigned in 2008)

hickman

williams

dj jones

mike smith (recruited as a defensive end)

giving us a juco that was pretty good for one season (nicks) and THREE quality high school linemen in smith, hickman and williams - a good class. from what i can tell, callahan's ONLY good class of OL.

the 2005 class had the following:

pasteur

picou

picou

roark

giving us exactly ZERO quality linemen.

not exactly an impressive record of success in leaving us a "stacked" offensive line. yes, they appeared to have some good ones lined up for the 2008 class, but who's to say they would have stuck anyways, given the sinking ship that was cally's last season.

This. Maybe Barney isnt the guy. Maybe he is. We really dont know yet because again our line wasnt deep this year and we had injuries.

IF from that 2008 class we would have gotten Hoch, Givens, and Robinson we would be in pretty good shape. Hoch starts at MU; Givens at CU; Robinson at ND.

Slauson and Hickman were both in the 2005 class.

At signing time that class seemed to have pretty decent OL recruits. Roark was coming along nicely until injury, right? And Rodney Picou seemed to be a stud. Slauson and Hickman were both solid performers.

hickman greyshirted and delayed enrollment, so i count him with the 2006 class. i did miss slauson in that class though, so there was ONE quality lineman in the 2005 class.

as to picou, i could care less who SEEMS to be a stud on paper, i care about correctly judging a kids talent and attitude when you recruit them. that's what matters in recruiting, not who has the shiniest package on signing day. obviously you're not going to get them all right, but both picous were definitely misses.

This. Maybe Barney isnt the guy. Maybe he is. We really dont know yet because again our line wasnt deep this year and we had injuries.

IF from that 2008 class we would have gotten Hoch, Givens, and Robinson we would be in pretty good shape. Hoch starts at MU; Givens at CU; Robinson at ND.

agree on barney and i would definitely liked to have had robinson and hoch in red. givens doesn't look all that great at CU, but he is young. robinson seemed to be liking ND all along anyway, and hoch seems to have been pretty swayed by blaine, so i don't think cally would have got either of them. ifs and nuts though. cally left us what he did on the line, and it wasn't a whole lot.

I know Smith's back was hurting him this year but I don't think he's quality at all. He's undersized and doesn't have the best motor or tenacity I've ever seen. I'm really hoping Hardrick can come in and take him out for that left tackle spot. I'll give Williams another year before I chalk him up as a dissapointment bc last year he was pretty damn good and this year I believe he was injured and had a horrendous year.