New Offensive Philosphy

MCAT800

Just wondering if the offense is going in a new direction do we loose anyone to transfers??

At this point were not sure exactly sure what the new face of the offense is going to look like so it may be premature to think about.

But if we move to a heavy run orientated offense does Green look else where since he has a redshirt to burn??

It was my understanding that Green loves to run. I'm sure if we adopted a run-oriented offense as you say he would feel right at home. I'm not sure exactly the type of guy he wants to be known as, but I always got the impression he loved to take off with the ball, and having power backs alongside him for option plays would seem to be a good fit for him. At this point I really don't care what offense we adopt, but something needs to change. I personally really like Alabama's offense. Huge, bruising backs that wear down the D, a good passing QB and a few good receivers. Well balanced but heavy on the run.

Just wondering if the offense is going in a new direction do we loose anyone to transfers??

At this point were not sure exactly sure what the new face of the offense is going to look like so it may be premature to think about.

But if we move to a heavy run orientated offense does Green look else where since he has a redshirt to burn??

Good question.

Where does it leave Kody Spano? LaTravis Washington? Zac Lee? Taylor Martinez?

In other words, out of all the QB's we have, which one is better suited for a run-oriented offense?

If we switched to a run based offense. My guess would be you w ill lose Zac Lee, Latravis Washington, maybe Ron Kellogg, Khiry Cooper would more than likely just stick to baseball with UNL. Probably lose Antonio Bell and Gilleylen since they are slot recievers. And maybe Kyler Reed since he isn't a blocking TE.

It was my understanding that Green loves to run. I'm sure if we adopted a run-oriented offense as you say he would feel right at home. I'm not sure exactly the type of guy he wants to be known as, but I always got the impression he loved to take off with the ball, and having power backs alongside him for option plays would seem to be a good fit for him. At this point I really don't care what offense we adopt, but something needs to change. I personally really like Alabama's offense. Huge, bruising backs that wear down the D, a good passing QB and a few good receivers. Well balanced but heavy on the run.

:yeah

That would be my preference as well.

Under that system you are still able to recruit high caliber players that fit the mold of NFL type offenses

If we switched to a run based offense. My guess would be you w ill lose Zac Lee, Latravis Washington, maybe Ron Kellogg, Khiry Cooper would more than likely just stick to baseball with UNL. Probably lose Antonio Bell and Gilleylen since they are slot recievers. And maybe Kyler Reed since he isn't a blocking TE.

I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves here. Will we loss some players? Sure, but that is bound to happen every year, regardless of philosophy changes. I highly doubt that NU will suddenly lose half of their underclassmen WRs and all their QBs besides Cody Green and Kody Spano.

Call me an optimist, but I find it kind of difficult to take this thread seriously.

we won't lose Zach Lee or Washington, they will be seniors. Ron Kellogg (who?). Pry right on with Cooper,

with the other recievers you really can't know, because they could still be used...especially Bell, and if we go to a heavy run offense why don't we split Kyler out wide as the main reciever...he'd be a mismatch in terms of blocking downfield as a reciever on a DB.

Ok, Ron Kellogg was the scout team MVP this year.

But i should have been a little more specific in my choices, i wasn't that all those people leave, i was saying that they don't fit the system of a run base offense and those would people the i would see transferring.

The way i see it, there was a good 8-10 different WR who saw game time action this year. Why in the world would you need that many WR's in a run based offense? the most amount of WR's you are going to see on the field is maybe 3 with no TE. Possibly a trips on either side. The majority of the time would be just two WR, and they would probably be in for short yardage catches or blocking. To me only Niles Paul would be suited for that, i can't think of would line up on the other side since we lose Holt and Brooks, and Gilleylen isn't good at blocking. Maybe Kyler Reed as you said, but once again, his abilities are possession TE not a blocking TE.

The reason why i said Lee and Washington, is because even if Green gets injured, why would put either of them in for a run-based offense, they can't run the ball like we have Lee do during this season and Washington during the Spring game. I can see it now, Green gets hurt and Lee takes the field and people already start booing.

But, if we are going to see a change in the offense philosophy, i would hope it would be a option-spread hybrid that slowly turns into an option offense over the next few years.

Ok, Ron Kellogg was the scout team MVP this year.

But i should have been a little more specific in my choices, i wasn't that all those people leave, i was saying that they don't fit the system of a run base offense and those would people the i would see transferring.

The way i see it, there was a good 8-10 different WR who saw game time action this year. Why in the world would you need that many WR's in a run based offense? the most amount of WR's you are going to see on the field is maybe 3 with no TE. Possibly a trips on either side. The majority of the time would be just two WR, and they would probably be in for short yardage catches or blocking. To me only Niles Paul would be suited for that, i can't think of would line up on the other side since we lose Holt and Brooks, and Gilleylen isn't good at blocking. Maybe Kyler Reed as you said, but once again, his abilities are possession TE not a blocking TE.

The reason why i said Lee and Washington, is because even if Green gets injured, why would put either of them in for a run-based offense, they can't run the ball like we have Lee do during this season and Washington during the Spring game. I can see it now, Green gets hurt and Lee takes the field and people already start booing.

But, if we are going to see a change in the offense philosophy, i would hope it would be a option-spread hybrid that slowly turns into an option offense over the next few years.

LaTravis Washington is an option QB. That is what he ran in high school and why he wasn't recruited as a QB here at NU.

:bonez Green stays, put the program takes another step back if it is purely a running offense.

Bo has said he would like an offense like Florida, gotta make sure you have the right QB,

and I clue you it is not Lee. Spring ball will tell us a lot. The defense will need to be even better next year

Maybe I missed something (and if I did someone I'm sure will correct me), but when have the coaches said that they're going to stick with this heavy-sets run oriented offense? Watson has been quoted as saying he wants to get back to the offensive style from last season, just that there wasn't enough experience at QB and OLine. He wants to run, sure, but I don't think he wants a revert to 1990s era Nebraska football either.

It seems to me that we're doing an awful lot of assuming.

with the other recievers you really can't know, because they could still be used...especially Bell, and if we go to a heavy run offense why don't we split Kyler out wide as the main reciever...he'd be a mismatch in terms of blocking downfield as a reciever on a DB.

To me, this is a completely wacked out view of WRs. We favor mismatches in blocking rather than pass-catching and playmaking ability? I hope not.