How do you feel about the Big 12 now?

husker_99

I know a lot of you like the Big 12 because it is the old Big 8. Well what you might not know is that the Big 12 is not an extension of the Big 8. In fact, the Big 12 does not carry over any history from the Big 8. This is the reason why Texas got whatever they wanted and we got screwed. This might put into new perspective about how the conference is really viewed. I know it does for me. Since this is a new conference not associated with the Big 8 there is really no long history that we should feel compelled. I'm not saying we should leave but just that there is no real history to keep us here.

I know a lot of you like the Big 12 because it is the old Big 8. Well what you might not know is that the Big 12 is not an extension of the Big 8. In fact, the Big 12 does not carry over any history from the Big 8. This is the reason why Texas got whatever they wanted and we got screwed. This might put into new perspective about how the conference is really viewed. I know it does for me. Since this is a new conference not associated with the Big 8 there is really no long history that we should feel compelled. I'm not saying we should leave but just that there is no real history to keep us here.

Why did you feel this needed its own thread?

Why did you feel this needed its own thread?

because it's not the same as the others. It's dealing with the entirety rather than a team.

All I care about is being competitive year in, year out. I can't comment on the politics of the Big XII because it's beyond my area of expertise.

Bottom line is this, we should stay in the Big XII and focus on getting better as a team. I'm confident Pelini will get us back to elite status eventually.

As a fan all I can do is support my team, win or lose. All the political/administrative hullaboo is stuff that I can't control, nor care to. That's why we have people like Dr. Tom to handle such matters.

Exactly how does Texas get everything they want and we get screwed? I hear this all the time, but point out some specifics.

I, too, am tired of Texas winning nearly every single sport in the conference, but how are they able to do this? I think they are just better right now. Whatever they do, it works across the board for them.

Exactly how does Texas get everything they want and we get screwed? I hear this all the time, but point out some specifics.

I, too, am tired of Texas winning nearly every single sport in the conference, but how are they able to do this? I think they are just better right now. Whatever they do, it works across the board for them.

I can name two right off hand.

1 Where's the Championship game most likely going to be played from now on? Dallas, Texas

2. The Commisioners office used to be in in KC now where is it? The conference office is headquartered in Irving, Texas.

It goes far beyond locations for football games and location of headquarters. When the Big 12 was formed and bi-laws were devises, Texas and some other Texas schools got their, plain and simple. The most disturbing was pointed out in Osborne's last book after he retired, regarding academic requirements and recruiting, basically the Big 12 did not follow suit of any other conference and made their own requirements in full advantage of the Texas programs. I do not know the exact details of these bi-laws, but as i said, it is in Osborne's book, and they in every sense of the word made it easier for Texas, because of their location and way of doing things compared to the rest, to gain advantage in many areas. I have always believed in this favoring Texas crap, but I also believe that it is what it is, either beat it or leave. I say we just beat the f'ers.

It goes far beyond locations for football games and location of headquarters. When the Big 12 was formed and bi-laws were devised, Texas and some other Texas schools got their way, plain and simple. The most disturbing was pointed out in Osborne's last book after he retired, regarding academic requirements and recruiting, basically the Big 12 did not follow suit of any other conference and made their own requirements in full advantage of the Texas programs. I do not know the exact details of these bi-laws, but as i said, it is in Osborne's book, and they in every sense of the word made it easier for Texas, because of their location and way of doing things compared to the rest, to gain advantage in many areas. I have always believed in this favoring Texas crap, but I also believe that it is what it is, either beat it or leave. I say we just beat the f'ers.

so what if the big 12 made it harder for us and easier for texas or whoever. that just makes me want to beat them MORE

One specific item was "partial qualifiers" which were voted down for the conference when it changed to the Big 12. Larger metros, such as those in Texas, are host to a plethora of Junior Colleges. If a recruit was struggling academically, Nebraska would need to get them in as a partial qualifier, where the recruit would need to get his grades up while in college, but could still be admitted to the school and part of the football program. In locations with a strong Junior College system like Texas and California you do not need these partial qualifiers as you can direct struggling players into a local Junior College with a verbal promise to bring them in upon improvement of their grades. Nebraska does not have this pool of Junior College football programs in which to place partial qualifiers or from which to draw once struggling players. This was a distinct advantage for Texas. It hampered Nebraska, and allowed Texas to stockpile players in the JC system, while not having to waste schollies on young struggling players.