Bo has hard line on soft commits

Nexus

So do you agree jeepdad? Should people throw their word around lightly? A coach needs to recruit and get his team assembled. If a kid just holds off on committing it gives the coach a realistic outlook on what he still needs. I guess all coaches probably agree but Bo just said it. It'll probably just be something some recruits admire and others are turned off by.

I lol'ed at this:

“There’s not a lot of soft in my world,” he said. “It’s like, ‘OK, I’m going to go on a date the night before I walk down the aisle.’ It doesn’t make a lot of sense. I won’t play that game at all.”

That is a very good point that future commits should really think about. Commit when you are ready, ie, after you have taken all your visits if you KNOW your going to Nebraska. I think what Bo is simply putting down here, is that i want kids who are 100% positive and dedicated to this team, not well i want to come to Nebraska but i want to see what my other options are first.

I think that "my way or the highway" approach would be great and I'm sure works for Texas or USC, Fla etc. In a program that is truly elite you can perhaps intimidate kids into not taking a visit after a commit.

For a program like ours, instead of playing hardball, you had better be in there schmoozing and trying to retain recruits or like we are trying to do in other situations, get somebody else's recruts to vist and decommit. Indeed both the kids and the staff know that if we run a 4* kid off with an ultimatum who has orally committed, out of the program that it is likely he will be replaced with a lessor perhaps a 2* player. Therefore both sides know that it is not a policy that is likely well thought out,, but feels good right now.

Only when you reach the top will his harda$$ approach be the best way to handle recruitiing. Carter and Gabbert might have been gone anyway and probably would, tut it seems they were the first to hear about this 'no visit' policy.

I think persoanlly you saw Bo "being Bo" and having a little public fit in that statement that will be revised when it obviously doesn't fit where we are at in the eyes of recruits these days. When a hat with an N on it is seen on several of the silly games at the All Star HC game. Till then ultimatums will unlikely work and kids certainly will look around.

as per usual, you're dead wrong. bo isn't bullying anyone or throwing a fit and he's not going to ditch principles for expediency. he's building a culture and he's not playing games with kids. i think it's amazing that anyone can question the simple expectation that commits must act committed or they will no longer be considered commits. of course, you seem to constantly be touting whatever line puts the coaching staff in the worst light, so i have to wonder if you're just trolling anyway.

and for what it's worth, i would guess that we would continue recruiting commits that start taking other visits as long as they were up front and honest about questioning their decision. jerking the coaches around, like lil' gabby apparently did, is a far different thing and will obviously not be tolerated.

the callahan era is over, we will no longer get kids here by any means necessary and just assume they'll forget all of the snake oil and work hard for the coaches when they step on campus. if nothing else, bo is helping these kids understand that your word matters. the fact that it will help us build a winning culture is a side benefit.

Bo is not being hard assed about anything here. All the time that was wasted on Lil' Gabbert and Carter could have been used to bring in another recruit at that position. Now were are left to scramble around to find a QB to fill that spot when we should be solidifying the commitments from already committed players.

Remember these morons? Bryce Givens, Shaun Mohler, Doug Rippy, Jonus Grey, Bryce Givens, Mike Floyd, Trevor Robinson, and my favorite, Simi Kuli, who couldn't even get into Oregon State after committing there. They are all sitting at home watching conference championship games and the bowls instead of playing in one, like they could have if they would have come here. :laughpound

There is a lesson to be learned here. Honor your commitments. Karma sure has a way of biting you on the a$$.

I see Jeepdad finally crawled out from under his meth lab after the drilling they took... <_<

Gabbert is playing in a bowl that is one step removed from the Sani Flush Bowl. Make sure you guys don't leave the lid up after flushing. :box

I think that "my way or the highway" approach would be great and I'm sure works for Texas or USC, Fla etc. In a program that is truly elite you can perhaps intimidate kids into not taking a visit after a commit.

For a program like ours, instead of playing hardball, you had better be in there schmoozing and trying to retain recruits or like we are trying to do in other situations, get somebody else's recruts to vist and decommit. Indeed both the kids and the staff know that if we run a 4* kid off with an ultimatum who has orally committed, out of the program that it is likely he will be replaced with a lessor perhaps a 2* player. Therefore both sides know that it is not a policy that is likely well thought out,, but feels good right now.

Only when you reach the top will his harda$$ approach be the best way to handle recruitiing. Carter and Gabbert might have been gone anyway and probably would, tut it seems they were the first to hear about this 'no visit' policy.

I think persoanlly you saw Bo "being Bo" and having a little public fit in that statement that will be revised when it obviously doesn't fit where we are at in the eyes of recruits these days. When a hat with an N on it is seen on several of the silly games at the All Star HC game. Till then ultimatums will unlikely work and kids certainly will look around.

as per usual, you're dead wrong. bo isn't bullying anyone or throwing a fit and he's not going to ditch principles for expediency. he's building a culture and he's not playing games with kids. i think it's amazing that anyone can question the simple expectation that commits must act committed or they will no longer be considered commits. of course, you seem to constantly be touting whatever line puts the coaching staff in the worst light, so i have to wonder if you're just trolling anyway.

and for what it's worth, i would guess that we would continue recruiting commits that start taking other visits as long as they were up front and honest about questioning their decision. jerking the coaches around, like lil' gabby apparently did, is a far different thing and will obviously not be tolerated.

the callahan era is over, we will no longer get kids here by any means necessary and just assume they'll work hard for the coaches when they get here. if nothing else, bo is helping these kids understand that your word matters. the fact that it will help us build a winning culture is a side benefit.

Lets me get this straight. So, 17-year-old kids who are trying to make perhaps the most important decision of their lives are "jerking around" coaches like Pelini, a seasoned professional who pulls in $1.8 million a year. OK ... who is the adult here?

it's an extremely important decision, which is why bo insists that recruits take their time, talk to their parents and make sure it's what they want prior to making a commitment. and yes, lying to the coaches about still being fully committed (as recently as a few weeks ago) and holding a spot in our recruiting class while you engage in heavy petting with mizzou definitely qualifies as jerking someone around.

and fwiw, i truly hope that young gabbert at some point becomes an adult and understands words like commitment and honesty.

the callahan era is over, we will no longer get kids here by any means necessary and just assume they'll work hard for the coaches when they get here. if nothing else, bo is helping these kids understand that your word matters. the fact that it will help us build a winning culture is a side benefit.

Lets me get this straight. So, 17-year-old kids who are trying to make perhaps the most important decision of their lives are "jerking around" coaches like Pelini, a seasoned professional who pulls in $1.8 million a year. OK ... who is the adult here?

Jeepdad,

The problem most of us have is that commits like Gabbert stroked our staff for months. I remember reading on DEC 7th of this month, two weeks ago, for the posters that can't do simple math, that this guy was fully committed to the commitment he verbally made to NU.

LET ME REPEAT!!!! He was fully committed to a verbal commitment he had made. That all has change in a few days.

Bo is/was very specific. He doesn't force you or hard sell you to say, "I am committed", but once you say that, it means, you are COMMITTED!!!!! That being said, if you are committed you can't go test drive other campuses or other institutions.

There was a good article about Gabbert and his waffling about one month ago. If you want me to try to find it I will. It stated the true reason for the Jr. Gabbert's waffling may have been the emergence of Cody Green. He will start here for 3 more years. I emailed the author to tell him he was spot on. Gabbert is not dumb, he can't start in NU, when you have an athlete like Cody Green in front of him. The article was written when it was only a thought of his decommitment, low and behold that came to pass.

Personally, I am amazed and shocked that we even flirted with this JR. Gabbert after the older brother showed he had no class and backed out of his commitment. The whole Gabbert clan has issues and it was clear from the beginning that JR Gabbert could decommit since the older brother was allowed to do it. (Parents allowed him to do this)

Now they both have to play against NU. SUH almost ended the older brothers career with a tackle that could've snapped his leg. I hear MU has some good QB recruits and I doubt JR Gabbert will even be a starter at MU. I was not a big fan of his recruitment and I can't wait to see who gets the scolly Gabbert would've rec'd.

You are correct in that part of your statement that says Bo is the adult. But should a guy who is responsible for bringing back NU and our football program allow 17 kids to string him along and the great NU football tradition?

I don't think so!!!!!! Let me know if you want me to dig up the article about JR Gabbert being fully committed on Dec 7th, 2009.

Schuhbdoo

thumbnail.aspxq1315733969282ampid06207bd65b3e6045cfa062d6f0c32dbbampurlhttp3a2f2florla.com2fblog2fwp_content2fuploads2f20082f012fcrack_pipes.jpg Please put down the pipe!!!!!

Just ignore Jeepdad. He's trying to salvage his ego after the ass-beating his team took from us this year, and since they can't win on the field he's trying to win with recruiting. Pelini is 10x the coach that moron Pinkel is, as evidenced by our top 3 defense in just two years. Even if Missouri gets a better recruiting class, that doesn't mean jack sh#t until they win on the field. Let Mizzou have their fancy WRs. With no defense, they don't stand a shot in hell. That's why they've been blown out by Texas and OU even in their best years.

Only Sith Lords deal in absolutes.. :o

Yeah, and like the Jedi Council is somehow immune to falling into the "trappings" of absolutism.

I think if Pelini were a Sith Lord, his power of force persuasion would be more effective on the referees.

... and he'd use force choke on everyone else.

Obviously, these decommits were not the droids we were looking for.

I still think many of your are getting way out on the limb on the tree of hypocrisy. Is there anyone who doubts that if A Green makes a verbal committment to Texas in February an calls Bo in December next year and wants to visit and commit to NU, that Bo is going to say.

"No son, we don't do that around here. Your word is your bond. You should make up your mind before you commit. That is the time to look around. We don't want your sorry butt up here now".

On the other hand if the young man commits to us in the spring and decides next fall he wants to go see Texas for a visit in December and is the top ranked RB in the nation, do you really think Bo will tell him. You go we pull your scholarship, blah blah... Of course not.

It is sheer sour grapes. Bo was not stating a policy for the ages. It was at a time when he was on the losing end of kids "looking around". This is a new week and we kiped a kid from VT. That's a good thing. That's the way it works.

Bo needs to be a man, quit whining when it goes agaist us and get in their kicking and gouging as long as it is ethical and legal in the eyes of the NCAA and get us some talent. Go steal someone's WRS and a QB.

I still think many of your are getting way out on the limb on the tree of hypocrisy. Is there anyone who doubts that if A Green makes a verbal committment to Texas in February an calls Bo in December next year and wants to visit and commit to NU, that Bo is going to say.

"No son, we don't do that around here. Your word is your bond. You should make up your mind before you commit. That is the time to look around. We don't want your sorry butt up here now".

On the other hand if the young man commits to us in the spring and decides next fall he wants to go see Texas for a visit in December and is the top ranked RB in the nation, do you really think Bo will tell him. You go we pull your scholarship, blah blah... Of course not.

It is sheer sour grapes. Bo was not stating a policy for the ages. It was at a time when he was on the losing end of kids "looking around". This is a new week and we kiped a kid from VT. That's a good thing. That's the way it works.

Bo needs to be a man, quit whining when it goes agaist us and get in their kicking and gouging as long as it is ethical and legal in the eyes of the NCAA and get us some talent. Go steal someone's WRS and a QB.

100% disagree. It's not hypocritical because Bo is encouraging them to not commit to Nebraska until they are absolutely sure they will sign on signing day. It'd be different if he were out there pressuring kids to commit before they are ready and then saying if they continue looking at different schools we are no longer interested. THAT would be hypocritical. Either way, I like it. If it keeps out a few wafflers/low character types it will not hurt NU's chances.

I love it. I feel like many kids are just stringing along some coaches to see what they can get out of it....other offers, more attention, etc. I don't care if they are 17-18 year old kids....it makes perfect sense that if you are sure you want to play for a team then commit. If not, don't waste the time of the coaches and staff.

Billy, I am not sure Bo would be a hypocrite if a kid committed to a team and then wanted to visit....that would be Mack's (aka Big Cheating A$$hole) problem.

Do think Pinkel has any morals when he constantly tries to get commits to decommit from NU and commit to MU? I think Bo is fine to let kids know a commitment is a commitment, if they want to window shop after a commitment then we will be doing the same thing. If all coaches had good ethics they wouldn't be in coaching. Recruiting is a dirty business with some coaches acting as snake oil salespeople. I just read today that at MU football camps they try to hard sell campsters, not even official visits and they hard sell them. This is only something I read on one of these boards, but I can see that happening.

Pinkel shows up in helicopter to wooooo JR. Gabbert after it was very clear that he was a strong verbal to NU. That dude is out trying to recruit. Do I agree with it? We hear another rumor that MU has Carter and JR Gabbert calling/facebooking our commits and trying to get them to decommit. Is Pinkel behind this too? Who knows.

Bo would be foolish and quickly out of a job at NU if he tried to recruit as Mr Ethical. If a recruit wants to talk you have to take the call. Does Bo show up at MU recruits games in a helicopter? I don't think so.

There is big money at stake. When guys make over 1.5 million a year, they are serious about what they do.

He has a lot of positive mow right now and has the program way ahead of schedule.

We make two or three mistakes in the last 1.44 against Texas or we shock all of the BCS.

Keep up the great work Bo.......

I love it. I feel like many kids are just stringing along some coaches to see what they can get out of it....other offers, more attention, etc. I don't care if they are 17-18 year old kids....it makes perfect sense that if you are sure you want to play for a team then commit. If not, don't waste the time of the coaches and staff.

Billy, I am not sure Bo would be a hypocrite if a kid committed to a team and then wanted to visit....that would be Mack's (aka Big Cheating A$$hole) problem.

Let me understand it then. A kid that commits to Bo and changes his mind and wants to take a visit is a low character individual who we will not stand to have around this program because with Bo there is "no soft" LOL.

Yet we will be happy to host kids who have done the exact same thing with other programs and welcome them with open arms claiming the other coach is a "Big Cheating A$$hole" and of course deserves it.

Look up Hypocrisy. :)