Favorite "home grown" Huskers

cscott2win

Reggie Baul...I used to play against him in soccer. I had the dubious task of trying to check him. That did not end well for me.

I remember that Baul played soccer at Papio. I am sure his speed and athleticism were a nightmare in the open field of soccer.

He wasn't the most skilled on the pitch. In fact he was average at best with his skill sets, but we couldn't play an offsides trap on him because he was just so damn fast. Average skills be damned, 1-1 with a keeper he'll still win more times than not. And playing our D back against him just opened up the mid field for his more skilled teammates. His team throttled us every time. And yes, he was a nightmare for me. He actually went to Colorado St on a soccer scholarship before transferring back to UNL. Because I played against him a few times, I always rooted for him. Same with Strickland, different sport, but I played some pick up basketball games against him when we were both in HS. Felt like I had a personal connection to both of them so I rooted more for them to succeed. Even though neither would probably no me from Adam down the street.

I have played in a pick up game with him also. I didn't guard him but to this day I still remember how quick he was.

I love the guys from Nebraska who did the dirty work. Dean Steinkuher and Dave Rimington were my favorites back in the day. Chris Dishman and Eric Anderson were fun to watch too. I always liked sure handed receivers like Matt Herian, Nate Swift and Todd Peterson. Tom Rathman was a beast at fb and I can't forget Keith 'End Zone' Jones. He was a blast to watch.

Just nit picking, but Swift was from Minnesota. Still a heck of a player though.

You are right. Thanks for pointing that out! He was a steady receiver for us for sure..

When I think of Nebraska and the "home grown" players I can't help but think of fullback's and lineman. Those farm boys that have been hang cleaning bails of hay since they could walk.

So for me I will always gravitate toward The Mackovicka's, Schlesinger, and now Gangwish....guys like that.

I understand your point, but not everyone from Nebraska grew up on a farm or in a small town. I am from Omaha and remember all the stud RB's that were from Omaha.

It doesn't make one opinion better than the other, it's just different points of view.

I understand not everyone is from a farm, I should have said kids from the small towns outside of Lincoln and Omaha. That to me is Nebraska football. One of those small towns, especially with our strong walk on program, might get a kid on the roster every decade or so and they just rally around them. Put up billboards of them, the little kids pretend they are them playing catch in the yard even though they may never see the field. it's the great way the whole state has a connection with the program. Very few, if any, programs have this.

• Fire 1

Mine is a little different than most.

Ron Poggemeyer, Nebraska City

I grew up next door to him, He was a few years older, but always had time to play catch, be it football, base ball or what ever. He gave me one of his jerseys when I was a sophomore in high school.

He was not an All American, but was an All American kid that loved Nebraska. He worked for my grand father, plowing fields and picking corn before he left for college. I have lost contact with the family. May try to reestablish that this summer.

When I think of Nebraska and the "home grown" players I can't help but think of fullback's and lineman. Those farm boys that have been hang cleaning bails of hay since they could walk.

So for me I will always gravitate toward The Mackovicka's, Schlesinger, and now Gangwish....guys like that.

"Hey, son, go move the tractor"

Son picks it up and asks "Where do you want it?"

Don't shoot me:

As a player

Barney Cotton

There's nothing wrong with Cotton as a player or coach. Guy bleeds Husker red enough to take a coaching position not once, but twice and get fired both times. Obviously neither circumstance was directly his fault, but i bet if you asked him right now this guy would still tell you he loves Nebraska.

Terry Connealy was a beast from out here in western NE. A couple other guys who weren't from NE but close are Berringer (Goodland, KS) and Lance Lewis (Scott City, KS). Granted, Scott City isn't very close to the border like Goodland. However, KU and KState sucked back when Lewis played so I've always thought of him as being home grown. He was a beast in high school winning both the 100 meter dash and shot put at the state track meet.