Would Pelini have landed Suh?

Nova311

true, but Bo is a below average recruiter... this is well known, so don't kool aide it.

The first recruiting class Bo was ever in charge of came in at 28th. So far this class (2010) is coming in at 30th.

With 120 Div. 1A teams, I'd say that puts Bo fairly well above average.

Playing devil's advocate here, I would not put Nebraska in the same recruiting pool as 120 D1 teams. At the very least the pool should only include the BCS conferences, and if that is the case recruiting is not all that impressive. But, he also took over a program in shambles and trying to rebuild it's reputation. Nebraska is not the geographic draw that many other schools are, so their success is a large part of the draw to come to the school. I think the fact that Bo was able to convince Suh to stay, TWICE, indicates he can be a very convincing recruiter.

actually, it's Bo's assistants who happen to keep that grade in the top third, it isn't because of Bo

by assistants, I mean 2-3 guys on the staff that recruit worth a darn.

Whether it's Bo or his staff, he's responsible for the recruits brought in.

exactly...

(I mean that in a not so flattering way)

Playing devil's advocate here, I would not put Nebraska in the same recruiting pool as 120 D1 teams. At the very least the pool should only include the BCS conferences, and if that is the case recruiting is not all that impressive. But, he also took over a program in shambles and trying to rebuild it's reputation. Nebraska is not the geographic draw that many other schools are, so their success is a large part of the draw to come to the school. I think the fact that Bo was able to convince Suh to stay, TWICE, indicates he can be a very convincing recruiter.

No, we're probably more likely to be lumped in with the top half of D1, but that doesn't mean we have had bad recruiting classes. For a guy whose forte isn't recruiting, we're bringing in pretty decent players under his watch.

Bottom line is, we need players, stars be damned. Once Bo gets them here, if they have any skill whatsoever, I have faith that Bo & Carl will get the most out of them.

Callahan was the perfect example of how not to recruit. He would get these super talented players and be unable to develop them. Bo gets players with some skill and makes them as good as they can be. Suh, Dillard, Asante... these are good examples of the right way to grow players.

actually, it's Bo's assistants who happen to keep that grade in the top third, it isn't because of Bo

by assistants, I mean 2-3 guys on the staff that recruit worth a darn.

Whether it's Bo or his staff, he's responsible for the recruits brought in.

exactly...

(I mean that in a not so flattering way)

I don't see where you're going here. You seem to want to dog Bo for being a bad recruiter, and he's not - he's set up a system whereby the people best suited for the job get it done. Bottom line is, he's not a recruiter. He's a coach. He hires recruiters to recruit. He targets the players he wants, they go get the players, and he builds them into stars. We've seen how he can maximize talent, and as his players continue to excel recruiting will become easier and easier.

Where's the problem?

true, but Bo is a below average recruiter... this is well known, so don't kool aide it.

Bo believes success on the field translates into recruiting.

This is true.

But it also works both ways... (i.e. the offense)

it's just a dumb hypothetical q anyways...

Bo and Carl can surely coach and get the most out of what they have on defense.

Offensively, I don't have a single good feeling about anything the coaches did this year, nor going forward.

Bo is just a glorified defensive coordinator in my opinion.

Likely the best one out there, but he is no head coach.

Nope, not at all, were not looking at a 10 win season or anything, just shy of a BCS berth. Youre digging your hole deeper my friend.

and i dont think anyone can say bo had NOTHING to do with Suh staying...

Especially since Suh came out and said Bo talked him into staying. But why should people let silly things like quotes from the players get in the way of their fantasy?

I have a suspicion that Huck is actually Les Miles. Really, really, really wants Bo fired to come back and DC LSU. How have they been since Bo left?

Only thing I can come up with on this one.

BTW, believing any Head Coach is the main recruiter for anyone is nothing but a pipe dream. I love when people talk about how great a recruiter Urban Meyer, Pete Carroll, or Mack Brown are. No, they are great closers. Its not like the HC is flying all over and calling every recruit. There isn't enough time, never mind the fact that there are more stipulations on the HC than the assistants when it comes to contacting and down times.

and i dont think anyone can say bo had NOTHING to do with Suh staying...

Especially since Suh came out and said Bo talked him into staying. But why should people let silly things like quotes from the players get in the way of their fantasy?

Yup,

1/4/2009

Ndamukong Suh Projected 1st Round NFL Draft Pick

Ndamukong Suh said as recently as yesterday, “I’m not 100 percent sure, but my mind-set is that I would like to come back to school. I have a year of school to finish, and I want to come back and play for Bo (Pelini). I love playing for these coaches.”

:bonez