First game memories

samms007

1992 Colorado game at Memorial.

I think I was supposed to go to that game...if that was 52-7. We took off around midnight and hoped to get into town and get a few hours of sleep. My folks were already there in Nebraska and I had to wait for a buddy who was going with to get off work at 11pm because he wanted to go.

We blew a head gasket in his car on the way, spent the night trying to figure it out and get a tow and were at my folks' house instead of Nebraska catching Zzzzzz's at 5am. We woke up in time to catch the game and ate the food we had in the cooler for the trip to make it more of a stadium experience. <_<

It was October 3, 1981, there was a light rain falling in Lincoln as the Huskers hosted Auburn. My wife and I were sitting in the south end zone. We kept our selves dry by covering up with garbage bags. The Huskers were having trouble scoring with Sr. QB Marc Mauer and Jr. QB Nate Mason running the offence. Then, I believe it was in the 3rd quarter Coach Oz inserted his last QB into the lineup. He was a Soph. from Fort Worth, Texas. The Huskers went on to even their record at 2 and 2. They finished the regular season at 10 and 2, and had a shot at the national championship but lost 22-15 to Clemson in the bowl game. The Soph. who came into the game that rainy afternoon never gave back the helm of the Big RED, he started every game thereafter until he graduated in 1984. In his senior season he led the team that became known as the 'Scoring Explosion.' That team show cased the talents of the number 1 player taken in the 1984 NFL Draft and the Heisman Trophy winner. They lost only their last game, by one point, playing Miami, on Miami's home field in the Orange Bowl. Irving Fryer had a long career in the NFL and Mike Rozier's Heisman Trophy is on display in Memorial Stadium. Their QB was Turner Gill, arguably the greatest QB Nebraska has ever had, and certainly one of the top three.

T_O_B

:bonez:bonez:bonez

Oklahoma State, 1994. I was 10 years old and my dad had won tickets at work. Our seats were in the 10th row at the 45 yard line in West Stadium. I still remember coming up the steps and out into the stadium and seeing the team warming up on that bright green field. The game was a blowout . . . 32-3 if I remember correctly. I was hooked.

First game I saw in person...

In Pasadena vs. UCLA 1988...disasterous. Troy Aikman lights up the Husker defense and while the Huskers made a late run it was too little, too late. Huskers 28 UCLA 41.

First game I ever witnessed on TV:

As an 8 year old boy, my father sat down with me on Thanksgiving Day 1971 and I witnessed what I believe was the greatest punt return in college football history againt the Sooners. Johnny "The Jet" Rodgers made me a fan for life and I never looked back. "Man, Woman, and Child!

I have a lot of very special memories and some games where I died a million times, but I wouldn't trade any of them.

2007 Nebraska vs Iowa State at Memorial. Nebraska with the win, Ruud returned an interception either 92 or 98 yards for the touchdown. I know it was long

This was my first game, too. The defense was on the field for over 100 plays, although they didn't look as horrible as they did for most of the other games. In person, Keller looked even slower than he did on TV, and Lucky never lowered his shoulder to take on hits. Ruud's INT was nice, and Grixby looked very athletic in his return game and on his INT's.

The only other game I've been to was VT '08, so I guess my hopes of being a good luck charm are over...

1989 was first memory of the Huskers - I was 8, and my dad and I were listening to the radio in the Old Ford as we chopped wood. The dreaded Colorado Buffaloes held off a late rally by the Huskers, and my dad was PISSED. Naturally, so was I, but also hooked on the Big Red for good even after a loss.

Not sure if there is another one out here but here we go.

Dont remember the year but my first game was when Calvin Johnson played a hell of a game against Kansas. It was a eithere a kickoff or punt all the way to the house for a touchdown had to be 90 yrds plus. The place was amazing. I still remember to this day wondering why the hell everyone had balloons at a football game..

Do you mean Calvin Jones? Or was there also a Calvin Johnson that played for the Huskers?

1995 not sure of the specific date, but it was Washington State vs Nebraska. Washington State pulled off the first TD, but Nebraska rallied. There were 2 rushing TD's by Frazier into the End Zone where my younger brother and I got scalped tickets for.

At some point in the game, Ahman Green ran the ball and got gang tackled by at least 8 or more WSU defenders, and no matter how hard they tried he would not be brought down! Then after the whistle blew at the end of the play he pumped his fist in the air, and the crowd went wild!

Nebraska pulled away with a TD pass from Frazier to Gilman and that was ball game.

I had KFAB on during the game, and Pavelka said that Nebraska vs Washington State was comparable to the crowd rallying behind the Cornhuskers like we've done when Nebraska faces Oklahoma.

...the first game I saw on TV that I really sat down and paid attention to was TO's first win against OU. I remember looking at Big 8 magazine with my dad for several years before that and I'd listen to some of the games on the radio with him but that was the first one I remember sitting down and watching. I know I had favorite players based on their picture in the magazines...lol. I liked Andy Means I know and I.M. Hipp.

I'll never forget that game. The stress...the excitement and my dad being so happy for TO.

Ahhh, the memories.

GO BIG RED!

My first one was the first home game in the 1965 season. As a freshman student. Don't remember any of the game but remember most of the players as they were dormed in Selleck right next door to me. Nate Branch (basketball) was right across the hall & was in my room most of the time cause I had the only phone on the second floor. Charles "CHOO CHOO" Winters was next door. Coleman & Freeman White was on the other side. Was a fun time. :)