Venting About The Bowl Selection

Holiday has to take Pac 10 #2 and Arizona tied with Stanford and Oregon St. and BEAT both of those teams head to head, making them the #2 team. I guess they could've have taken one of the others based on record, but since of the head to head beatings, I think they needed to take the proper team.......Arizona earned it.

Speaking of bowl games - the refs are HANDING the Emerald Bowl to USC. Two huge calls reviewed and completely wrong both times by the officials.

I guess I'm noticing horrible officiating more than ever since the Big 12 Title game.

However - the Golden Eagles are playing tough, and Congdon just missed a pitching wedge shot from 35 - short. Glad we have Alex Henery.

Speaking of bowl games - the refs are HANDING the Emerald Bowl to USC. Two huge calls reviewed and completely wrong both times by the officials.

I guess I'm noticing horrible officiating more than ever since the Big 12 Title game.

However - the Golden Eagles are playing tough, and Congdon just missed a pitching wedge shot from 35 - short. Glad we have Alex Henery.

The officiating in that game last night left something to be desired, that's for sure.

Well, Zona is favored to win the game.

Yes, but you're missing my point. I'm well aware that Arizona could potentially beat us (especially if our offense plays like its been playing lately). What I'm saying is that after our season, we've earned the right to play a team that has had a better season than Arizona.

My point is that the bowl selection committee did a lazy a$$ job with this pairing. Oklahoma vs Arizona, Nebraska vs Stanford makes much more sense.

Losing to Iowa State at home eliminated a lot of the respect you think NU earned in the eyes of anybody outside of the state of Nebraska.

The officiating in that game last night left something to be desired, that's for sure.

I agree, USC did seem to get a lot of breaks last night.

Holiday has to take Pac 10 #2 and Arizona tied with Stanford and Oregon St. and BEAT both of those teams head to head, making them the #2 team. I guess they could've have taken one of the others based on record, but since of the head to head beatings, I think they needed to take the proper team.......Arizona earned it.

Exactly. Since there was a tie for 2nd in the Pac 10, the bowl had their choice of whoever they wanted. Like it or not, they chose Arizona. Deal with it.

Some people around here will B & W about anything. It's amazing.

They did not choose. The Cats were the top team. Head to head eliminated the others.

This is a very good team. If anyone should be disappointed in the the team they are playing, it would be them. They played a much tougher schedule and did end up second.

This lack of respect and interest is very discouraging. How spoiled are we to think we deserve to be playing a undefeated team.

Four losses is the same as Arizona.

But fickle NU fans who cheered firing a bowl winning 10 - 3 staff in 2003 now seem quite satisfied with our offense an OC for some bizarre reason. Only at Nebraska....

I wonder - where does a person find these Nebraska fans you're talking about? There have been uncountable numbers of threads screaming for Watson's head, Cotton's head, Gilmore's head, and new players all over the offense.

Everyone I speak to in my daily life is royally pissed about our offense. My family is furious. The fans I talk to on the street or in bars or at the coffee shop are pissed. Everywhere I go it's the same thing - people think we wasted this defense, and Suh's senior year, this season.

So where is this enclave of happy Husker fans that "seem quite satisfied with our offense?" Are they hanging out with Sasquatch and his unicorn pals?

I'm satisfied with the offense....last year's offense. One season is an abberration. Two seasons is a trend. Craig Bohl got another season after the end of 2001 to right the ship and he couldn't. Watson will get the same.

Wrong,

The Holiday bowl is obligated to take the top team available. 2nd pick after the Rose Bowl. There are exceptions to all rules.

Three were tied for 2nd. Of the three only Arizona had beaten the other two. They get the selection.

So by beating the other two, they became the top team of the group, therefore selected by the Bowl commitee. Just as it is done in most.

I'm not excited about our bowl game at all. We finished 9-3, we were 1 second (& 2 ridiculous pass interference calls) away from knocking out Texas, the team playing for the national championship. & the f^cking bowl selection committee pairs us against an 8-4 team. If they're going to pit us against a Pac 10 team, Stanford would clearly be the better choice. Stanford beat Oregon & raped USC, & watching Suh play against Gerhart would be awesome. The bowl committee did a lazy job with this selection IMO.

I'm not trying to disrespect Arizona or any Arizona fans on this board with this post. Arizona has a solid football team & I'm sure they will play us tough. But, its ridiculous that after the season we had they matched us up against an 8-4 team.

While I agree with you that standford vs nebraska was the matchup i was looking for and would be wicked fun, have a lot of hype pre bcs bowl games, and make tons of money for select individuals....

isn't hte holiday bowl always the big 12 3rd vs the pac 10 2nd?? and isn't arizona 1 game away from winning the pac 10? (they would have won had they beat oregon or whatever gameday game they had).

Wrong,

The Holiday bowl is obligated to take the top team available. 2nd pick after the Rose Bowl. There are exceptions to all rules.

Three were tied for 2nd. Of the three only Arizona had beaten the other two. They get the selection.

So by beating the other two, they became the top team of the group, therefore selected by the Bowl commitee. Just as it is done in most.

• Finally, it's important to remember that bowls are NOT obligated to choose their teams in exact order of conference standings. For instance, "ACC No. 3" means "third choice of ACC teams" -- not "the ACC's third-place team." Also, a bowl can only select a 6-6 team from a conference if no 7-5 team from that league is still available, and bowls seeking a replacement for a conference without enough eligible teams cannot choose a 6-6 team if there is a 7-5 team available.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...l#ixzz0b4DkhNa7

I don't recall the source and it wasn't an official conference source anyway, but I recall reading that the Pac 10 has to take a #2 team, but they don't use tiebreakers to determine the #2 team. They could've taken Oregon State or Stanford, but not USC, or anyone else with a lower record.

That said, it's totally ridiculous for anyone to whine about playing Arizona like we had somehow earned the right to play someone top notch, not to mention that Arizona deserved this every bit as much as Stanford. All 3 are ahead of us in the BCS standings. He may have a right to vent, but we have the same right to call his venting really stupid.