Credit where it is due

macroboy

After finding out that there were injuries and stuff to some of our players that we didn't know about (which further shows our need for restraint as fans) I do feel good about the way Wats changed things up and gave some different looks. I like the way did some trickery and even brought out the 'BugEater' formation.

I was reading an article on the LJS website today and it talked about how Watson isn't doing any 'I told you so' comments. He said it was a relief to get players healthy and that he has confidence going forward.

HOWEVER, he did say something that pissed me off a bit. He said that it was frustrating to run the offense they did this year cuz all the fans care about STATS and stuff, while they were concerned about just winning and holding things together.

Dude, Wats...seriously? I personally don't give TWO SHITTS about stats. I care that even w/ the injuries and graduating loses and what just about EVERY team in America goes through at some point in the season...that YOU couldn't get more than 6 first downs and 110 yds against a team when it mattered. I care more that for the first 6 games of the year, when it was CRYSTAL clear that what gameplans you were coming up with weren't working. The defense carried your offense in terms of field position and turnovers opportunities and you still couldn't get us a few 1st downs and some clock management that helped us win. FGs don't win championships--against TU and VT this was what we were left with: sputtering offense with terrible play calling even in an extremely conservative offense; you as a coordinator at a premier program in a premier conference should come up with something to put our players in position to make plays.

who cares about stats? who cares what offense we run as long as it's productive? who cares if we steamroll Ark St. if we can't score more than 10 points against OU? (and all 10 were handed to you by the D). Who cares if we have stars on offense as long as they are effecient as a unit?

I was so happy that our players won and lost with class this year and the team didn't point any fingers and they all hung together. I am proud of our fans for accepting a dismal offense and being knowledgeable enough to know it's 'do what we have to'...But don't come out the day after a huge dominating win and talk about the fans displeasure and say it was based on the fact that we 'like stats'...B.S. Our displeasure was based on the fact that it seemed like a little league coach was calling plays and putting together gameplans. Figure it out before the season starts next year, not week 3 or 6 or 9 or 12.

Wats called a pretty good game.

I liked the wildcat look. More than that I liked the 2 back set out of the shotgun and the option play that came out of it.

I agree. He mixed it up nicely.

Also have to give credit to the O-line too. That was the best I'd seen them play against a BCS caliber opponent this year.

Those QB sneaks were SOLID PUSHES by the O Line... it was AWESOME to see Cotton SCREAMING at the false start culprit. Things are looking up!!

Watson never lost 'it'. Guy is and has always been a talented playcaller. Just a ginormous amount of factors hurt us all year.

A QB playing with no confidence.

An o-line with talented players (Marcel, Hickman, Williams) who underperformed all year. Factor in injuries for their struggles as well. Also alot of idiotic penalties from this group as well.

WRs small on consistency.

-

Last night we saw Zac finally play with the confidence he lacked all year. He was decisive running and calm inside the pocket. He even used his athleticism at times to buy more time on pass plays.

It has always been there for Zac. And when it clicks, the guy will be a VERY good player.

We saw an o-line that cut down on drive killers. Save for Mike Smith's stupidity that killed one drive by himself, they played smart. And kudos to Barney for being all over Smith for screwing up.

We also saw an o-line somewhat healthy after the time off. Something they all needed.

WRs - besides Niles playing with the consistency we have all been waiting for, this group still reeks of MEH. Someone has to step up between now and next year to help take some of the pressure that defenses will put on Niles beginning next year.

Almost hoping that Watson gets Burkhead in the slot next year and motions him out more. It will get him on the field even more and utilizes his great route running and receiving ability. It's the one thing we should have done more with Lucky that we did not take more advantage of.

-

All in all, we FINALLY saw the offense we could have been capable of all year. If Helu had played, we may have seen an even bigger explosion on offense.

I liked the wildcat look. More than that I liked the 2 back set out of the shotgun and the option play that came out of it.

Also have to give credit to the O-line too. That was the best I'd seen them play against a BCS caliber opponent this year.

Those QB sneaks were SOLID PUSHES by the O Line... it was AWESOME to see Cotton SCREAMING at the false start culprit. Things are looking up!!

It was either the LJS or OWH that reported the other day at the end of practice, Wats had the offensive unit in a huddle and he was yelling at them. They said it was uncharacteristic of him, but he wasn't yelling at them in a negative tone, but merely trying to pump them up.

Then when Cotton blew his lid last night on Smith, I was like, what is going on here? Is Bo rubbing off on his staff now? :lol:

It was either the LJS or OWH that reported the other day at the end of practice, Wats had the offensive unit in a huddle and he was yelling at them. They said it was uncharacteristic of him, but he wasn't yelling at them in a negative tone, but merely trying to pump them up.

Then when Cotton blew his lid last night on Smith, I was like, what is going on here? Is Bo rubbing off on his staff now? :lol:

How many times can you tell someone the right way and they keep fekking it up?? Sooner or later, in Cotton's case LATER, you snap and need to grab their attention... even if it means SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF YOUR LUNGS... :steam

I think the coaches are following their leader's example. :thumbs

Cotton was absolutly in the right to jump all over Smith the way he did. No excuse for that from a guy who knows the snap count.

Yep credit to Watson, I may not have been outspoken about the offense having issues this year but I was thinking it, which is just as bad. He called a good game, offense was on it, o-line, nice job. Keep it up and hope to see a large dish of the same next year! GO BIG RED!!!