SIGNED QB Bubba Starling

I will say this... there was a pitcher that went to my high school in Texas who threw a 96mph fast ball, during the season there was an average of 10-15 scouts at each of his home games... the kid got drafted high with the Oakland A's... and was offered a $700,000 signing bonus... he took it. Now he plays in the minors "A" and makes 18-25k a year.

What's hard for these high school kids is turning down the $700,000... but what they don't see is that after that $700,000 (if that) IF they don't get injured a lot of them make less than 25k the rest of their lives... IF they get injured, what do they have to fall back on with no education? Yeah they have the $700,000 but most 18 year olds blow a lot of that money and fail to invest it... even if they do invest it, a one time $700,000 is not enough to live a lifetime on...

Bubba is said to throw about 94-95mph now and is projected to throw up to 97mph... I don't see him getting much more than a $700,000 signing bonus... with this said, do you follow your dreams, take the once in a lifetime chance and hope you make it? Or do you pass it up, get an education and hope you get other opportunities? It's a tough choice for an 18 year old.

You really think it has to do with how hard a kid can throw? I hope not...

The signing bonus will almost solely depend on where he gets drafted. There are "slot" bonuses that are basically the recommended amount for a team to give a player taken in a certain slot in the draft. Look here for a look at the 2007 MLB draft for the 1st 2 rounds along with the actual signing bonus and the slot bonus. I only went with the 2007 one because all I could find for 08 and 09 were 1st round only... You'll see RARELY will anyone get anything less than the slot, and more so will get above the slot. So it all depends where he is drafted.

ALSO. If the player goes pro and gets hurt. They have that money to go back and PAY for whatever school they decide they want to go to, as well as a pretty good start in life for them. It's tough to pass up and honestly, makes a lot of sense.

To add to huskerswrkhavoc's response, Bubba is looking to play in the outfield if he goes the baseball route....so I highly doubt his signing bonus has anything to do with how fast he can throw the ball.

I believe he will be drafted as a pitcher - everything going around town (gardner) says that. The "outfield" thing just came up because his coach mentioned he's an easy pick, because if he doesn't work out on the mound, he's more than fast/athletic enough to be a very good outfielder. A team can have confidence he'll contribute regardless of position. The fact he hits .518/.508 would certainly support that.

Somehow, Bubba Starling knew. He knew Nebraska was the right choice for him to continue his illustrious athletic career which could arguably be considered the best career in Trailblazer history. A career which has seen 2432 rushing yards, 2641 passing yards, and 59 total touchdowns—and he’s just now coming up on his senior year.

Bubba knew that the University of Nebraska is the right place to carry on his talent and legacy.

“My mom kind of poked me in the foot and said ‘You can do it if you want to’ and I said ‘alright’ and told [head coach Bo] Pelini that I’m ready to be a part of the Nebraska family,” Starling said.

This was on Saturday, June 19, when Starling made his commitment to Nebraska.

“I had all these teams that I was looking at going to and narrowed it down to Notre Dame and Nebraska,” he said, “In the end Nebraska was closer, I feel like there’s kids up there I get along with better, more my types of kids. Kids who like to hunt and fish, that’s all me. It’s just fun. I can’t wait to be up there.”

Along with looking forward to the teammates and fellow students, Starling is excited to be working with the coaching staff.

“I think the coaching staff…I get along with great,” he said, “The quarterback coach [and offensive coordinator], Shawn Watson, I just really like him. I’m really comfortable with him and everything.”

Watson was contacted but is unable to comment due to NCAA regulations, preventing all coaches from commenting on recruits until signing day in February.

Starling is also planning on playing baseball for the Cornhuskers, a team which has made trips to the College World Series in 2001, 2002, and 2005.

With Nebraska football on a turnaround, Starling looks forward to a career at Nebraska with potentially endless opportunities.

“Just continuing to be a leader,” he said when asked about what his goals will be. “Taking it up to the next level. Just compete with all of the great players around me and it’d be sweet to win a National Championship.”

When asked about individual accolades, including possibly winning a Heisman, Starling smiled.

“I just laugh,” he said, “[Athletic director and former football coach] Tom Osborne wrote me a letter and said I could be a Heisman Trophy winner. I just started laughing.”

Starling will be part of a new age in Husker sports, as his freshman year will be Nebraska’s first season in the Big Ten.

“It’s gonna be fun. Great competition playing in Michigan, you know, all the big stadiums. That’ll be awesome,” he said with a smile, “It’s gonna be cold. But getting to play against Ohio State, all of those teams [will be fun.]”

Starling did mention that there is still some unfinished business to complete in a Trailblazer uniform.

“Right now I’m just trying to concentrate on the high school season and hopefully winning a state championship,” he said.

One final season, one final opportunity for Starling to help his team complete that goal. One last time before he trades in Big Blue for Big Red and the chance to showcase his talents at the national level.

LINK

I like Bubba!! :koolaid2:

:koolaid2:

Nice to have a BUBBA on the team! I feel a little sick in my stomach, though. Would LOVE to see him suit up...but it's going to be hard to turn down the $$$ if he's drafted in the first round.

I agree. I would love to see him playing for the Big Red (both FB and BB) but I'd bet that he gets a pretty fat BB contract, and ends up in the minors (ala Carl Crawford).

Somehow, Bubba Starling knew. He knew Nebraska was the right choice for him to continue his illustrious athletic career which could arguably be considered the best career in Trailblazer history. A career which has seen 2432 rushing yards, 2641 passing yards, and 59 total touchdowns—and he’s just now coming up on his senior year.

Bubba knew that the University of Nebraska is the right place to carry on his talent and legacy.

“My mom kind of poked me in the foot and said ‘You can do it if you want to’ and I said ‘alright’ and told [head coach Bo] Pelini that I’m ready to be a part of the Nebraska family,” Starling said.

This was on Saturday, June 19, when Starling made his commitment to Nebraska.

“I had all these teams that I was looking at going to and narrowed it down to Notre Dame and Nebraska,” he said, “In the end Nebraska was closer, I feel like there’s kids up there I get along with better, more my types of kids. Kids who like to hunt and fish, that’s all me. It’s just fun. I can’t wait to be up there.”

Along with looking forward to the teammates and fellow students, Starling is excited to be working with the coaching staff.

“I think the coaching staff…I get along with great,” he said, “The quarterback coach [and offensive coordinator], Shawn Watson, I just really like him. I’m really comfortable with him and everything.”

Watson was contacted but is unable to comment due to NCAA regulations, preventing all coaches from commenting on recruits until signing day in February.

Starling is also planning on playing baseball for the Cornhuskers, a team which has made trips to the College World Series in 2001, 2002, and 2005.

With Nebraska football on a turnaround, Starling looks forward to a career at Nebraska with potentially endless opportunities.

“Just continuing to be a leader,” he said when asked about what his goals will be. “Taking it up to the next level. Just compete with all of the great players around me and it’d be sweet to win a National Championship.”

When asked about individual accolades, including possibly winning a Heisman, Starling smiled.

“I just laugh,” he said, “[Athletic director and former football coach] Tom Osborne wrote me a letter and said I could be a Heisman Trophy winner. I just started laughing.”

Starling will be part of a new age in Husker sports, as his freshman year will be Nebraska’s first season in the Big Ten.

“It’s gonna be fun. Great competition playing in Michigan, you know, all the big stadiums. That’ll be awesome,” he said with a smile, “It’s gonna be cold. But getting to play against Ohio State, all of those teams [will be fun.]”

Starling did mention that there is still some unfinished business to complete in a Trailblazer uniform.

“Right now I’m just trying to concentrate on the high school season and hopefully winning a state championship,” he said.

One final season, one final opportunity for Starling to help his team complete that goal. One last time before he trades in Big Blue for Big Red and the chance to showcase his talents at the national level.

LINK

Based on this article, it looks like Tom Osborne is still active in the recruiting process. Having a legend help with the process can only help. Dr Tom has some high expectations for Bubba Starling.

I like Bubba!! :koolaid2:

:koolaid2:

Nice to have a BUBBA on the team! I feel a little sick in my stomach, though. Would LOVE to see him suit up...but it's going to be hard to turn down the $$$ if he's drafted in the first round.

I agree. I would love to see him playing for the Big Red (both FB and BB) but I'd bet that he gets a pretty fat BB contract, and ends up in the minors (ala Carl Crawford).

I dunno, he seemed to indicate it would take a boatload of cash for him to leave, and that can actually adversely affect where you get drafted in baseball. Teams don't want to draft someone in the first round just to lose them to college. I'm cautiously optimistic, it only helps that he's aware of the Carl Crawford situation.

Starling is mentioned in the MLB draft blog by Keith Law on ESPN. (paid so I'll paraphrase) Bubba participated in the Tournament of Stars at the USA baseball complex in Cary, NC. Law said that Bubba is obnoxiously talent at baseball and if he stuck to one sport he'd be a first round lock. He mentioned him committing to the Huskers and that he is also a good basketball player. Bubba also had the fastest 60 time of 6.5

Can we use a Baseball scholly on him and then take another player in this year's class, or does the kid playing two sports use two schollys from the university one baseball and football. I would say we're short on scholly's for football players, but I wouldn't mind using a baseball scholly on this kid.

Can we use a Baseball scholly on him and then take another player in this year's class, or does the kid playing two sports use two schollys from the university one baseball and football. I would say we're short on scholly's for football players, but I wouldn't mind using a baseball scholly on this kid.

It only takes one. I believe they'll be using a football one.

If a player plays football and another sport they are going to use a football scholarship because the other sports have limited scholarships and often give partial scholarships.

If a player plays football and another sport they are going to use a football scholarship because the other sports have limited scholarships and often give partial scholarships.

You'll have to point me the direction of a better baseball recruit we'll pick up this year.. not too often we get projected first rounders out of HS. Just thinking we should save the football scholly and use a baseball one in the case the kid bails after a year or two for $.. The next few years will be crunch years for schollies

You'll have to point me the direction of a better baseball recruit we'll pick up this year.. not too often we get projected first rounders out of HS. Just thinking we should save the football scholly and use a baseball one in the case the kid bails after a year or two for $.. The next few years will be crunch years for schollies

I'm not 100% sure, but I think there are NCAA regulations that prevent football players from being on scholarship in other sports. Otherwise 16 sport universities would suddenly add bowling, fencing, and a dozen other "sports" and everyone would be a 2 sport "athlete".

Also could be wrong on this, but I think there is a waiting period before you can re-enter the baseball draft if you are picked and then choose the college route. For some reason I thought it was 3 years. If he signs, I don't think he has the option to leave in a year or two. Anyone know if this is correct?