SIGNED QB Bubba Starling

I think he already knows he's going to get some money thrown at him. It also sounds like he has a real good head on his shoulders.

This is a direct quote from Starling himself:

"He's probably going to be tempted with several dollars," Gardner Edgerton baseball coach Jerald VanRheen said. "I don't know how that is going to shake out."

Nebraska fans have been through a situation like this before. Carl Crawford signed with NU in 1999 to play quarterback, but was chosen high in the MLB draft and elected to play baseball. He's since become one of the top outfielders in the game for the Tampa Bay Rays.

Starling said he's planning on being at Nebraska a year from now.

"It's going to be hard for me to step away from college football and college baseball," he said. "I've visited all these places and done all this stuff for a reason."

Even if he goes the baseball route, this still should add some recruiting momentum. Certainly a lot better off with his commitment than without no matter how you slice it, unless people really had their hearts set on another alternative for the 2nd QB. With Turner on board, I think this is a great gamble.

I will say this... there was a pitcher that went to my high school in Texas who threw a 96mph fast ball, during the season there was an average of 10-15 scouts at each of his home games... the kid got drafted high with the Oakland A's... and was offered a $700,000 signing bonus... he took it. Now he plays in the minors "A" and makes 18-25k a year.

What's hard for these high school kids is turning down the $700,000... but what they don't see is that after that $700,000 (if that) IF they don't get injured a lot of them make less than 25k the rest of their lives... IF they get injured, what do they have to fall back on with no education? Yeah they have the $700,000 but most 18 year olds blow a lot of that money and fail to invest it... even if they do invest it, a one time $700,000 is not enough to live a lifetime on...

Bubba is said to throw about 94-95mph now and is projected to throw up to 97mph... I don't see him getting much more than a $700,000 signing bonus... with this said, do you follow your dreams, take the once in a lifetime chance and hope you make it? Or do you pass it up, get an education and hope you get other opportunities? It's a tough choice for an 18 year old.

You really think it has to do with how hard a kid can throw? I hope not...

The signing bonus will almost solely depend on where he gets drafted. There are "slot" bonuses that are basically the recommended amount for a team to give a player taken in a certain slot in the draft. Look here for a look at the 2007 MLB draft for the 1st 2 rounds along with the actual signing bonus and the slot bonus. I only went with the 2007 one because all I could find for 08 and 09 were 1st round only... You'll see RARELY will anyone get anything less than the slot, and more so will get above the slot. So it all depends where he is drafted.

ALSO. If the player goes pro and gets hurt. They have that money to go back and PAY for whatever school they decide they want to go to, as well as a pretty good start in life for them. It's tough to pass up and honestly, makes a lot of sense.

I will say this... there was a pitcher that went to my high school in Texas who threw a 96mph fast ball, during the season there was an average of 10-15 scouts at each of his home games... the kid got drafted high with the Oakland A's... and was offered a $700,000 signing bonus... he took it. Now he plays in the minors "A" and makes 18-25k a year.

What's hard for these high school kids is turning down the $700,000... but what they don't see is that after that $700,000 (if that) IF they don't get injured a lot of them make less than 25k the rest of their lives... IF they get injured, what do they have to fall back on with no education? Yeah they have the $700,000 but most 18 year olds blow a lot of that money and fail to invest it... even if they do invest it, a one time $700,000 is not enough to live a lifetime on...

Bubba is said to throw about 94-95mph now and is projected to throw up to 97mph... I don't see him getting much more than a $700,000 signing bonus... with this said, do you follow your dreams, take the once in a lifetime chance and hope you make it? Or do you pass it up, get an education and hope you get other opportunities? It's a tough choice for an 18 year old.

The signing bonus will almost solely depend on where he gets drafted. There are "slot" bonuses that are basically the recommended amount for a team to give a player taken in a certain slot in the draft. Look here for a look at the 2007 MLB draft for the 1st 2 rounds along with the actual signing bonus and the slot bonus. I only went with the 2007 one because all I could find for 08 and 09 were 1st round only... You'll see RARELY will anyone get anything less than the slot, and more so will get above the slot. So it all depends where he is drafted.

ALSO. If the player goes pro and gets hurt. They have that money to go back and PAY for whatever school they decide they want to go to, as well as a pretty good start in life for them. It's tough to pass up and honestly, makes a lot of sense.

To add to huskerswrkhavoc's response, Bubba is looking to play in the outfield if he goes the baseball route....so I highly doubt his signing bonus has anything to do with how fast he can throw the ball.

And to add, MLB has a scholarship program for "wash outs", Bubba could negotiate the amount into any deal.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/scholarship.jsp?content=guide